Reconsidering Deep Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends if it's Watneys Red Barrel or proper beer.

How do you know a Navy Diver is in the room? They will tell you.

How can you tell the DIR diver on the boat? He is the one thumbing the dive due to sea state while the rest of the divers including the small advanced open water class make their way over the side!

@Akimbo probably does not need my help but you decided to pick this fight. Akimbo has a great wealth of diving knowledge not just from the Navy!

Mac you said “some people can drink 20 pints and still be able to walk home”, as an analogy to how deep air affects people differently.

I said “yes, but are they able to walk in a straight line if needed?”, an analogy for a performance increase soliciting a greater ability in response to a SHTF moment.
What I’m getting at is people may feel less narked (which doesn’t mean they are less narked) but they will not be able to respond as effectively on deep air if a situation warrants a higher performance ability than autopilot, which I think this meme highlights appropriately:
https://images.app.goo.gl/xPiN3pDgDjkonP216

“No one is going to drink 20 pints in order to walk home in a straight line”.
If deep air and alcohol tolerance is a fair analogy, you just proved our point with this. Deep air is not done by people to be safe, because it isn’t, as the science and Dr. Mitchell proves.

Do what makes you happy for yourself but please don’t say deep air ok on the internet, where anyone could get ideas to do exactly what science has proved to be wrong.

Mac you said “some people can drink 20 pints and still be able to walk home”, as an analogy to how deep air affects people differently.

I said “yes, but are they able to walk in a straight line if needed?”, an analogy for a performance increase soliciting a greater ability in response to a SHTF moment.
What I’m getting at is people may feel less narked (which doesn’t mean they are less narked) but they will not be able to respond as effectively on deep air if a situation warrants a higher performance ability than autopilot, which I think this meme highlights appropriately:
https://images.app.goo.gl/xPiN3pDgDjkonP216

“No one is going to drink 20 pints in order to walk home in a straight line”.
If deep air and alcohol tolerance is a fair analogy, you just proved our point with this. Deep air is not done by people to be safe, because it isn’t, as the science and Dr. Mitchell proves.

Do what makes you happy for yourself but please don’t say deep air ok on the internet, where anyone could get ideas to do exactly what science has proved to be wrong.
Speak for yourself, I personally have no problem diving to 187 feet on air. If you have a problem with it don’t do it.

Speak for yourself, I personally have no problem diving to 187 feet on air. If you have a problem with it don’t do it.
Trouble is some of them really believe their way is the ONLY way!

How can you tell the DIR diver on the boat? He is the one thumbing the dive due to sea state while the rest of the divers including the small advanced open water class make their way over the side!

@Akimbo probably does not need my help but you decided to pick this fight. Akimbo has a great wealth of diving knowledge not just from the Navy!
Relax brother, I am a Navy Veteran, teasing shipmates is a right of passage.

Relax brother, I am a Navy Veteran, teasing shipmates is a right of passage.

So I noticed on your web page. Kudos for your service. If you have not figured out I am a Navy veteran myself. Your comment was made at an inappropriate time and against someone who has been on this forum probably longer than you have been diving.

As a retired Navy Diver I can speak from first hand knowledge about the lack of knowledge the diving Navy has with what is going in the rest of the diving community, part of the reason I left at 20 years. However I see a lot of similarities between some training agencies instructor's and the U.S. Navy diving community Master Divers. The thought that their way is the only way and everyone else is just ignorant and unsafe.

I am very supportive of GUE's and other agencies with similar team philosophies in diving. Heck if it was not for the cost I would sign up for a Fundies class because I know even after all this time I would still learn something that would improve my diving. However since I am like most people and funds are constrained I need to pick and choose carefully where I want to spend my training and equipment dollars.

For example, I learned to dive rebreathers in the Navy. I wanted to start rebreather training again in the civilian world. At the time I looked at GUE's training plan you could not start your training on a rebreather until finishing Tech 2. That is a lot of education money as I am sure you are well aware. TDI offered me a course where I could start right away based on my current experience. You can see what path I chose. I have friends who are GUE trained and anyone who asks me what I think about GUE, I tell them that it is great training but there are some philosophies I disagree with and so do a lot of my other diving buddies who have been tech diving before GUE was ever created.

So I noticed on your web page. Kudos for your service. If you have not figured out I am a Navy veteran myself. Your comment was made at an inappropriate time and against someone who has been on this forum probably longer than you have been diving.

As a retired Navy Diver I can speak from first hand knowledge about the lack of knowledge the diving Navy has with what is going in the rest of the diving community, part of the reason I left at 20 years. However I see a lot of similarities between some training agencies instructor's and the U.S. Navy diving community Master Divers. The thought that their way is the only way and everyone else is just ignorant and unsafe.

I am very supportive of GUE's and other agencies with similar team philosophies in diving. Heck if it was not for the cost I would sign up for a Fundies class because I know even after all this time I would still learn something that would improve my diving. However since I am like most people and funds are constrained I need to pick and choose carefully where I want to spend my training and equipment dollars.

For example, I learned to dive rebreathers in the Navy. I wanted to start rebreather training again in the civilian world. At the time I looked at GUE's training plan you could not start your training on a rebreather until finishing Tech 2. That is a lot of education money as I am sure you are well aware. TDI offered me a course where I could start right away based on my current experience. You can see what path I chose. I have friends who are GUE trained and anyone who asks me what I think about GUE, I tell them that it is great training but there are some philosophies I disagree with and so do a lot of my other diving buddies who have been tech diving before GUE was ever created.
No one here is comparing GUE, TDI, or Navy Dive and Salvage School except you. All I did was tease Akimbo a bit as we all do in the locker or berthing many moons ago. With that said, I am happy you found a civilian diving path, and I hope you continue to do so for many years. Nevertheless, if you would like to take a Fundamentals class with GUE, I highly recommend it. However, I understand it is not an end-all-be-all to diving, and whatever diving agency you choose is entirely up to you, my friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom