Recommended Hotel/Dive Shop - Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last trip to Bonaire we stayed at Buddy Dive, excellent accomodations, good price, great set up. My favorite so far, have stayed at Divi and Captn Don's as well.

I had some BC issues on a previous trip...and the people at Carib in were fabulous with helping fix it...and the guys from Wannadive told us about Bruce. Bob was really nice, helpful and knowledgeable.

We stayed at the Divi a couple of years ago, it was not that expensive. We visited the Plaza (alot more expensive) which is the nicest spot and I rented a sailboat (Hobie) off from the beach and did some sailing. We dove all week, both shore and boat dives. I think Bonaire is the easiest shore dive in the Caribbean. Klein Bonaire is dove by boat only and has some worthwhile spots to dive around it.

00scuba:
My last trip to Bonaire we stayed at Buddy Dive, excellent accomodations, good price, great set up. My favorite so far, have stayed at Divi and Captn Don's as well.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Bonaire for late Apr/early May. We are trying to decide between Buddy Dive and Capt. Don's. Both are about the same price. Why did you like Buddy Dive better?

Thanks,
Chris

cjh:
My wife and I are planning a trip to Bonaire for late Apr/early May. We are trying to decide between Buddy Dive and Capt. Don's. Both are about the same price. Why did you like Buddy Dive better?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris

You can't beat the tank set up at Buddy's....you drive -thru...so if you are shore diving with a vehicle...its perfect. The house reef was great for night dives and the staff was very accomodating and friendly. The Lions Den restaurant and bar was good...good food and drink. We had a flat tire and without even asking, one of the workers there stepped in and helped us.

If you go there you have to tell Els, who works the front desk, that Jason and Sandy say hello!

Captain Don's is nice....the tanks are not as convenient and the room not as large. But the people are very cool and it is beautiful no matter where you stay.

But out of the three...Buddy is where we will go next time...hands down!

Great location, convenient diving from their reef and boats. As others have said, very convenient to get tanks for the truck and do shore diving. Staff is top-notch. The food is fine, but lots of other places to eat in town probably do a better job for everything but breakfast. Also, they have good equipment at the rnetal shop if your forget or break something during your stay.

If you go out on the boat, go to Klein -- everything else you can do from shore. I suggest driving to the north and south ends of the island -- try the dives, then one in the middle (Oil Slick Leap is a fun entry) early, then decide where you like to dive best. On your last day, make sure to drive out to try your hand at wind-surfing or kite-boarding. Even if you chicken out, the beer is cold and the view is worth the drive.

Bring your light, the night diving is great. No Chemical light sticks allowed. Also, do not pet the cats at Buddy or Capt. Don's unless you like to catch ringworm. Ok, it could have been "Puck" the resident dog at Buddy, but he is too friendly not to pet, and has such a cool name.

I am anxious to go back. Have fun.

My wife and I have decided to dive Bonaire at the end of Feb/early March. We found a good deal at the Plaza and will be diving with Toucan. Previously, we have almost always gone boat diving, but when we went shore diving (in Guam), we drove to the dive entry point, locked up our equipment (towels, shoes, misc diving-related/repair items, etc.) in our cars, and went diving. We plan to bring similar items with us in a mesh bag to the beach, but how do we secure it? Do all the shore divers just leave their stuff out on the beach while they're diving?

Welcome to the board. Don't leave anything in your vehicle and DON'T lock it up. While the problem is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe, breakins at the remote sites on Bonaire do happen. I find leaving the windows down and take nothing but old towels and shoes works for me. On Bonaire you are never very far from your resort so there is really no need to take anything with you. A credit card and a few bucks in a "waterproof" case is all I ever carry.

I agree with Herman.... Leave your stuff back at the resort and take only what you need on that dive trip. The only thing to leave at the truck is your dive bag and spare tanks. Leave the windows down and the truck unlocked. Take your keys and money with you in the water.

Our group of 30 had nothing stolen from trucks when diving but one did have their room burglarized... and they were cops! They had all credit cards and cash stolen out from under their noses while they were sleeping. The burglar was hiding in the room and took their wallets from the countertop. We heard one other couple had a room broken into. USE THE SAFE AT ALL TIMES!

The resort wouldn't contact the police and tried to push off their security guards as the police. When our friends contacted the police themselves they seemed uninterested. They had a hard time getting a copy of the report for insurance purposes! Watch out for yourself!

This is not to say that Bonaire is a dangerous place, just that you must be smart. Just like any larger American city or hotel, be smart and protect your stuff. Anywhere you have severe poor folk some will always turn to crime, no matter the country.

I was in Bonaire in December, I would say it is the safest place I have traveled to. We left the car unlocked , just take what you need ,The little stuff ( sunglasses, clothes shoes) they are not interested in, we did lose a bag oneday ,( there were some workers nearby, ) they dumped it and just took the bag, no big deal.
We always use the safe, that way you never have any worries about passports and money. The shore dives are all very easy to get to and it is a pleasure to drive around the island, Don't forget to check out the Flamingos at the Park on the way to lac cai.Lots of good resturants , too. Check out Casablanca , they have the best steak!
and the italian place Donna and Giorgio's...
oh I wish I was going back soon.
Have a Blast!

knives:
I was in Bonaire in December, I would say it is the safest place I have traveled to. We left the car unlocked , just take what you need ,The little stuff ( sunglasses, clothes shoes) they are not interested in, we did lose a bag oneday ,( there were some workers nearby, ) they dumped it and just took the bag, no big deal.

If it is the safest place that you have traveled to, I am really curious to hear where else you have traveled:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom