Recommended dSMB for the GUE Fundamentals course ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Which different brands of dSMB would be recommended in order to fit into the standards of the GUE Fundamentals course ?

The only real standard is oral inflate with an over pressure valve. The smaller ones, 3'-4' are easier for the class since they are easier to fill from a shallow depth. With a spool with at least 100' of line.

Which different brands of dSMB would be recommended in order to fit into the standards of the GUE Fundamentals course ?
a small (3tf) orally inflatable SMB with an OPV will be good for class. For being seen in the ocean consider something bigger.

Great advice ! Thanks !

Are there any types or brands of spools and lines that are more appropriate then others when used in the context of such a dSMB ?

Great advice ! Thanks !

Are there any types or brands of spools and lines that are more appropriate then others when used in the context of such a dSMB ?

One that is neutrally buoyant. I learned this the easy way by dropping mine once, luckily I had one that was neutral. It just hovered there and didn't go anywhere, yay! If I had a steel one, it would have plummeted to the bottom of the ocean and everyone would have laughed, or groaned, as all that line reeled itself out. That would not have been fun! :)

Does anyone know if the SMBs that are sold by DAN satisfy the GUE criteria ?

DAN: Online Store | scuba diving safety equipment
It would meet the criteria but is not a great choice for the class as your SMB deployment will be from around 20'/6m deep and needs to be full when hitting the surface. I started my Fundies class with a 70# tubular SMB. There was a lot of entertainment value in how miserably I failed at shooting it from 20'. I borrowed a 3'/1m SMB and it was much better.

Does anyone know if the SMBs that are sold by DAN satisfy the GUE criteria ?

DAN: Online Store | scuba diving safety equipment

I used it in Fundies because it was what I already had. Nothing wrong with it from GUE's point of view. However, as Jeff pointed out above, since GUE doesn't mandate a size, a shorter SMB is easier for purposes of learning.

Some prior discussions on SMBs and spools for Fundies here:

Spool suggestions for Fundies class

Which Halcyon SMB for GUE Fundamentals?

DIR/GUE recommendations for dSMB+spool

Suggestions for a small SMB

Back
Top Bottom