Recommendations Please: North Shore of Kauai ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:07:

We ended up Diving totally with Sacred Seas and were VERY pleased. Julie took us out each time and all were shore dives.

The first two two dives were at Tunnels and The group was my two boys, myself and one local lady. We had a grand tour - Outer side of the reef on the first dive and inner side on the second. Julie led us throughs everal tunnels - saw lots fo turtles and local reef fish - the highlight of the trip was joining in at a cleaning station and letting a cleaner shimp do our teeth also!

They appear to be pretty much it on the North Shore - I found that the fellow that is North Shore Divers sold out to the Kellys - So that is them also. I did talk with Dive Kauai - and they do those shore dives - but I never got past the talking stage with them - I was quite hapy with Sacred Seas, By the Way - Everybody agreed - There is NO boat diveing on the North SHore - The all go out of Poipu.

Thursday I was lined up to just get some tanks from Julie - and the 3 of us would strike out on our own. [Closest air sources - Dive Kauai & Bubbles Below, 2 blocks apart in Kapa'a] - BUT - The surf had been coming up and Julie waived off diving at Tunnels. Instead we accompanied them to Koloa Landing and did our diving with them there.

DRIVING - at 8AM - It took me 70 minutes to drive from Princeville to Koloa Landing - You will need to plan on significant drives for any of the boat diving!

Back to the Dive - FANTASTIC! - Julie led us on an hour-long tour of Koloa LAnding and we saw everything we were briefed to look for - Turtles, Harlequin Shrimp, Dragon Moray Eel!! - and then! - a Monk Seal joined us for 5-10 minutes - curiously checking us out! WOW!

Feel free to PM me if you have speicific questions about the North Shore!

-=>Larry<=-:
:07:

We ended up Diving totally with Sacred Seas and were VERY pleased. Julie took us out each time and all were shore dives.

Hi Larry. Glad to hear you had good experience with SacredSeas. I already have a shore dive at Tunnels booked with them booked am probably going to add a boat dive as well.

Aloha Larry,
it is good to hear that you had such a good time with Sacred Seas Scuba. I am trying to compile more information on dive sites in Kauai, it is hard to find good write ups about them. Any information you could PM to me on dive site descriptions would be great.
Thanks
Fintan

Heads up if you're trying to rent tanks on the north coast -- FengShui and I went up there last week planning to grab tanks and dive Tunnels beach, but the only dive store on the coast (Hanalei Divers, located inside of Princeville resort) was out of tanks for the day when we arrived at 8:45 -- they were all reserved already. The second closest dive store was a half hour away in Kapa'a, and we didn't have enough time to get there and be done before our family arrived, so no dive that day. It would probably be a better idea to get gas in Kapa'a anyway, since extricating the resort's tanks from the resort would've included an unpleasant lot of carrying. If you do arrive at Tunnels beach later than around 7:30 AM and before 2 or 3 PM, you probably won't be able to find parking, so you'll need to have someone drop off your gear and then park the car a half mile up the road.

Hey, hey! sounds like you had a great time! Glad for ya :D

Have to put in a plug for Fathom Five / Ocean Quest. Read up about them in the latest edition of the "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" (or whatever it is called).

They shore dive at Tunnels on the N. shore during the summer and S. shore at Koloa landing and off the boat year-round. The best outfit on the island, IMO.

Ask for Jeanette (she's the owner and an awesome DM/instructor) if you go to Tunnels. It's one of the best shore dives in the Hawaiian Islands. Parking is getting to be a hassle there, though.

We had a great experience diving with Sacred Seas at Tunnels last week. Julie is very down to earth and great guide for the day. The lava tunnels that give this reef its name make for an interesting dive. Here are a few photos from the dive.

Image by dsafanda (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

leesa are you not diving with dive oahu any more??

Back
Top Bottom