• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Recommendations on places to stay/eat in High Springs?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Jasonmh, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Jasonmh

Jasonmh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hi All,

Will be in the High Springs area for a few days in the fall. From what I understand it is a small place, was looking for any recommendation on places to stay and eat.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. bwilcher

bwilcher Registered

You are correct that you are limited, I like the Cadillac motel as in inexpensive and clean. The great outdoors cafe in town is also a good place to eat.

3. siegelreptiles

siegelreptiles Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    not far from gainesville---lots of choices there

even better--stay in micanopy---cool old little town with good cafes

4. kidsdream

kidsdream Solo Diver

Pretty much like the Cadillac as they are both like 1969's roadside inns. The Country Inn has wireless, the Cadillac has pretty iffy wired INTERNET connection.

Both are decent, clean places. If you are with a group there are quite a few Trailer, home rentals available as well.

5. LIVES4SHARKS

LIVES4SHARKS SHARK DIVA AI ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    There are 3 hotels in High springs:

High Springs Country Inn
    Alamo Motel
    Cadillac Motel

That is how I rank them. The Cadillac Motel is ok...kind of stuck in the 70's with decor and ammenities. The best food in High Springs is definitely Floyds Diner. However, it was closed 2/09 so hopefully it will be open again soon!

Have fun!
    Carolyn:shark2:

6. Jasonmh

Jasonmh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Cool, thanks for the help all.

7. BabyDuck

BabyDuck Rebreather Pilot

plus there are various trailers & dive cabins sprinkled around, since ginnie is such a dive destination. da aquamaster & i are staying at captain jim wyatt's trailer next month.

but i've stayed in the alamo before - nice to be right across the street from salvo. and alice's is *the* place for breakfast, but don't sit at the table just to the left in the door - for local regulars only! :wink:

8. SandyRobinson

SandyRobinson Contributor

9. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    Jason, how many people are heading over with you and for how many nights. I've stayed in the High Springs Country Inn when I'm just there for a couple of nights. When I've been there for closer to a week or more, I usually rent one of the trailers in the area - kitchen, living room - it's just nicer for the longer stays. Not much in restaurants there. There are the standard fast food joints - Subway & Hardees. There's a pizza place - I think it's called Pepperonis. Head a few miles to Alachua and there are some more restaurants there.

10. Tom Winters

Tom Winters Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    If you're going with a significant other, get the Red Room at the Grady House in downtown High Springs. It's not cheap, but it's a great space. And the Red Room is THE room to get there.
    The Grady House Historic Bed & Breakfast - Home