Recommendations on Greece diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its worth noting here that cyprus is not greece and is a separate country with its own currency and laws etc so doesnt count here.

The ferry mentioned is the Zenobia. Sunk due to a computer failiure.

Eris Lucan7*:
I dived greek often there are no big rules about much t ,the greeks will defently arrest you fast when you dive in the ream of regist I.M.O.habor wail you will went into taxsecure and terror as smuggler protectet zone ,you also dive not in a Airport.no idea what you are talking about so ,next default you dive in to warmarine or else greek souveran area , also you can dive into naturepars as you touch nothing, i can not confirm you your spoken.

I have a copy of the official rules and regulations for certain islands and areas here and they totally contradict what you claim and contradict what diver operators themselves are told.

String:
Its worth noting here that cyprus is not greece and is a separate country with its own currency and laws etc so doesnt count here.

The ferry mentioned is the Zenobia. Sunk due to a computer failiure.

Cyprus has been half Turkey and half Greece for a long time. It is one of the many contentions between them. I didn't follow it very closely at the time, but I believe that the idea to "solve" the problem was to allow Cyrpus to join together and enter the EU as a seperate country. Instead the Greek side joined and the merger didn't happen. As I said, I didn't follow too closely and probably have much of it wrong. In either case String's point is valid. Check into which side of the island you visit and the local laws since they may not be the same as other islands.

I did a fair bit of free diving on Rhodes and Crete years ago and enjoyed it. Also on Spetsai. I plan to return to do some SCUBA there. My Greek dive friend says that September can be a bit rough on that part of the Med. I remember a huge storm in August when I was there... I was on a large passenger vessel crossing from Athens to Brindisi, Italy. Many people were quite seasick. I simply lashed myself to a bench outside the wheelhouse and survived fine topside... until I had to go below decks in the morning to pee.

Its i never had a matter and,i think there will be no matter i dind find that at your

shown link for know,well i stay so ,the most diver i know are mostofen kind off

mad as special those that hang around divestors as well i woud not dive with them

for money.ok so. 7*

String:
I have a copy of the official rules and regulations for certain islands and areas here and they totally contradict what you claim and contradict what diver operators themselves are told.

Howdy all. I just got back from Greece & dove @ Paradise Beach in Mykonos. It was fairly nice. The water was about 72 F & vis was about 50 feet. Lots of fish, an eel & a big flounder. Since it's not the tropics don't expect anything too colorful. It was relaxing & mellow. No currents to worry about. This would be pretty boring for an experienced diver, but a newbie like me will find a change of pace from the tropics & an easy dive. You do have to dive with a dive master, by law. So that is good for the beginner, as well.
Toodles!

probably too late to help, but just done 3 dives at Agia Palagia in Crete, with divers club, im just new to diving and enjoyed all 3 dives, water temp was about 22C lots of small fish a couple of larger in the deeper water25m+, all 3 dives were 50-55 mins. Not much colour, but alot for me the beginner to see(WW11 bombs and a sea mine) and 2 swim thru's on the first and third dive. Dive sites were 1.Lygaria 2.Dia's Rock 3.Mononaftis. Vis 20-30m. Happy diving

These posts are so old, so I'm wondering if anyone has any RECENT information on diving in Greece? I'm going for the last two weeks in August and spending time in Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini. Unfortunately the group I'm with is not certified but is willing to snorkel. I'm a novice diver myself, so I'm just looking to get wet more than anything. Needless to say, I also expect to do some partying in Mykonos and am not sure if I'd be better saving my diving day for Santorini? Any recommendations or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

The posts on Greece are so old, so I'm wondering if anyone has any RECENT information on diving in Greece? I'm going for the last two weeks in August and spending time in Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini. Unfortunately the group I'm with is not certified but is willing to snorkel. I'm a novice diver myself, so I'm just looking to get wet more than anything. Needless to say, I also expect to do some partying in Mykonos and am not sure if I'd be better saving my diving day for Santorini? Any recommendations or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Back
Top Bottom