Recommendations on DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So ssra,
I noticed you still have (or got new?) the DS125 Strobes and not the Inon... any particular reason??
Just had them already and were happy with them?
(Inon) Won't work with the camera/housing? TTL or whatever version?

Just wondering, since Inon seems to be the "Darling" of the Strobe market now, for the time being...

Just wondering..
thanx

The only real advantage Inon has over Ikelite is the size. For macro, both strobes perform equally well. Ikelite color temperature is a bit warmer but shooting in RAW, I guess it is not a big deal as you can adjust whitebalance afterward. Wide angle, I never really compare, but I don't think there is a huge difference. As far as feature of the strobes, I will have to go with Ikelite.
I love the modeling light which I use as my nightdive light source as well. The flash recycle a bit faster.
The laser pointer/focus light on Inon is useless with dSLR. With D70, if you connnect all the neccessary pins for teh laser pointer/focus light to work, you are stucked with 1/500s shutterspeed. If only 2 wires are connected so you can shoot manual at whatever speed you want, you lose those 2 features. Not sure how the Inon would work with D2X yet.
Service wise, Ikelite can't be beat. I flooded Ikelite strobe once (my fault, I dropped the battery pack and the case was cracked) and Ikelite actually repaired my strobe for free (just paid one way shipping). Somehow, I doubt Inon would do something similar.
My divebuddy commented that he did not like proprietary batteries on Ikelite and prefer AA batteries on Inon. However, just about everything else I have uses proprietary batteries, D2X, Fisheye Spotlight, etc so using AA charger/batteries for Inon is not and advantage for me as far as reducing number of things to pack.
Last but not least, manual controller on Ikelite make it a lot easier to adjust power rating as you can place it much closer to the housing than the strobe.
So all in all, I am sticking with Ikelite, just need to exercise my bicep a bit more to deal with its bigger/heavier load on land. Inon just did not offer any real benefit otherwise for me to convince me to switch over.
Not to say that Inon is bad either, my divebuddy swear by them and would not switch to Ikelite either.

Great, thanx, the note on the wiring was interesting...

good luck with the "Beast" LOL.. waiting to see how you like it and if there is that much difference in overall performance...
Thanx again...

fpoole:
Great, thanx, the note on the wiring was interesting...

good luck with the "Beast" LOL.. waiting to see how you like it and if there is that much difference in overall performance...
Thanx again...

Please don't expect too much from me :) with the Beast, I am just a guy with 'my toy is bigger than your toy' complex. There are so many other better photographers who deserve and can get much better use from the 'Beast' than I do! :D

Heheh... Yeah, no pressure....from this end... have enough dealing with the 5050... last dive, forgot to check the on/off latch and of course it wasn't on the on/off camera switch.. so blew the whole dive...
Just click the shutter and let the camera do the rest... (joking here)

Post'em when you get'em.. LOL...
looking forward to seeing them...

ssra30:
Please don't expect too much from me :) with the Beast, I am just a guy with 'my toy is bigger than your toy' complex. There are so many other better photographers who deserve and can get much better use from the 'Beast' than I do! :D

Well, why don't you send your beast down to me...i might not be able to afford it but i think i deserve it! :wink:

Mike Veitch:
Well, why don't you send your beast down to me...i might not be able to afford it but i think i deserve it! :wink:

Well, not every one who has a Ferrari is an F1 race driver either!
As I said, my toy is bigger than your toy, and that's all that matter :D

Mike Veitch:
Well then, never mind the D2X, i'll take your Ferrari instead!! :)
It's in the mail. Expect delivery soon :)
I guess now I am stuck with my Honda. Darn, my camera gear cost me more than half of my car!

Back
Top Bottom