Recommendations on DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading thru the other thread here about "what 7 MP to buy" which has spurned me to start this one. I currently use a Finepix S5000 on the surface and am thinking about upgrading this to a DSLR.

Now I have never considered underwater photography before but now it has become a new factor in my choice of next camera. Since the housing for the S5000 looks like a glorified plastic bag (and is unavailable here) and I want an SLR anyway, my choices need to factor in the availablility of accessories and housing etc for it.

I have read a few reviews on the Canon Digi Rebel, Nikon D70 and the like but really would like a few actual users opinions ... so what do you think?

buksida:
I have been reading thru the other thread here about "what 7 MP to buy" which has spurned me to start this one. I currently use a Finepix S5000 on the surface and am thinking about upgrading this to a DSLR.

Now I have never considered underwater photography before but now it has become a new factor in my choice of next camera. Since the housing for the S5000 looks like a glorified plastic bag (and is unavailable here) and I want an SLR anyway, my choices need to factor in the availablility of accessories and housing etc for it.

I have read a few reviews on the Canon Digi Rebel, Nikon D70 and the like but really would like a few actual users opinions ... so what do you think?

hey
i think you cannot go wrong with the nikon d70. great array of lenses (the nikkor dx lenses) and overall great camera. best in its under $1000 class. when you go over $1000 a whole new broad spectrum of dslr's come into play. anyway just remember going dslr underwater is like buying a new car. its a huge investment. strobes, housing, ports, lenses, arms, camera and whatever other little gadgets you want. hopefully in the near future i will be able to go dslr, but for now i gotta save some cash. good luck with your decision. dive safe. dive well.

At this moment, a good entry level dSLR (as opposed to top of the line D2X or 1Ds MkII), I would consider either Canon 20D or Nikon D70s. Both have many options for housing. Canon Rebel XT is a possible alternative but I think that after all said and done, the saving for going with Rebel XT rather than 20D only a small part. 20D also has larger viewfinder which you will appreciate more.
Canon vs Nikon is nevergoing to be completely settled. The best thing to do is to try out both camera and see which one you feel most comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either. However since you are based in Thailand, I would give an edge to Nikon since Niks Thailand is the main distributer/dealer/authorized dealer based in Bangkok, so if you should ever need any repair/service, it will be easier obtained than Canon. Canon on the other hand is not quite as well organized here. All Nikkor lenses and accessories are readily available through Niks. There are many more camera stores carrying Canon but the inventories are not always as complete as Niks and Nikon, in my opinion.
Housing wise, in Thailand there are distributer for Nexus, Ikelite, Sea and Sea and Subal (Seacam has a dealer but cannot provide any support). If price is the main consideration, Ikelite would be the way to go. However if you want a more compact Aluminum housing then Nexus or Subal for D70s or Subal for 20D.
I would not recommend Sea and Sea D70 housing (eventhough I used to own one) as it is bulky and does not offer much benefit over its competitor.

Good stuff, I'll look into those two a bit more. Thanks ssra for the info on support in Thailand, will check them out next time I'm in the Big Mango.

I think housings and extras will bust the bank after I get the camera, but its handy to know for the future!

ssra30, out of curiosity, what prompted you to upgrade to a D2X?

Alcina has a little inside information which is not fair :D
Officially, I have to say that since 70-180mm is my favourite lens and it is a bit on the slow side, I guess the D2X would help it out a bit more than the D70.
Secondly, I got tired of Sea and Sea housing as I had problem trying to get the 12-24mm lens to work well with Sea and Sea domeport and got tired of smallish viewfinder, I was going to switch housing to Subal with GS Viewfinder so well, if I get a new housing, why not a new camera :)
Third, well Alcina already stated the third reason
Fourth, not quite Mike's comment but I think I have a disease call shopperholic :D

I guess, all in all, I did not have exactly a good reason to switch, lots of excuses, certainly not enough to justify about $12000 worth of camera and housing, but oh well, I don't drink, I don't smoke so I figure what I paid is a lot less than what I would have spent if I drink or smoke for the last 10 years or so, :D everyone need a little vice here and there!

whitehead:
That statement is going to save the rest of us money! No more carting that bottle of gin along when you are on a trip
Yeah, when I brought a bottle of gin along, I think I drank like 2 drinks and the rest of the group scoffed down the rest.
I think buying 2-3 bottles of gin a year does not really count, considering the rest of the group drink 5 bottles of wine in one night!

Opps, I am off topic again :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom