Recommendations for Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadivediva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Still trying to decide where to dive in June. Anyone know the conditions of the reef in Roatan? Where is the cruise ship docking? I was reading that is damaging the reef in that area and not to stay on that side of the island. I can't find the location of the dock on any maps.
Any recommendations on resorts? Looking for good food and a/c and good diving all at one place if possible

Still trying to decide where to dive in June. Anyone know the conditions of the reef in Roatan? Where is the cruise ship docking? I was reading that is damaging the reef in that area and not to stay on that side of the island. I can't find the location of the dock on any maps.
Any recommendations on resorts? Looking for good food and a/c and good diving all at one place if possible

Roatan's reefs are still in fine shape. Mary's Place is an exception - it's really beaten up. But Roatan has one massive reef system.

Where to stay? I've been to Coco View 5 times. It's great. Be aware that if you are bringing your wife, unless she is a diver that she'll be bored. It's a resort for divers - period. Laid back, relaxed types will do well there. Picky people that want more amenities should go elsewhere. I would highly recommend the shark excursion. Well worth the $75.

Book ccv early or the rooms will be all gone. But there are beach houses next to the resort that are another option, especially with another couple it gets very reasonable.

Dead on advice above. I'll add to the comment about the "next" new cruise ship dock in Dixon Cove... when it goes in, it will help nothing. So- go now.

You are getting a very narrow and limited perspective in the advice you quote about the cruise ship docks. Roatan is right now where Cayman was in 1979. It is on an accelerated program of destruction through development pressure. (read: siltation and run-off)

If you want to skip it and find something "better" in the Caribbean at this instant, knock your socks off, but I would say: Do the Bay Islands NOW before things get any worse. I used to smile and say, "I remember Cayman in 1972.....". So- here's your chance to be able to bore people in a few years!

The treat that Roatan brings to the table is for the advanced diver. With excellent buoyancy and observational skills, the right diver who follows his DM like a puppy will come out way ahead. If you want to find every critter in the Paul Humann reef ID book, try diving the South side of Roatan from Little French Key all the way to Oak Ridge. Stay shallow from surface to 45fsw, take a flashlight and magnifying glass. this is not rewarding for the average Caribbean diver.

Mary's Place was never all that hot of a deal, anyway. It's spectacular architecture of 15 foot wide fissures that cut deep into a reef vertically... sure, very spectacular... if you've never seen such a thing. Due to the inherent heavy shadows- there has never been a whole lot of growth. The real treasure of Mary's Place is that which can be dived from the same mooring. There are rare Caribbean critters that adorn the face- you'll need a DM that knows! Nearby there is a very cool little tunnel system (Scutt's Slot) that is so claustrophobic, well.... Calvin's Crack? Most folks like that dive better... it's 1 hour E of Mary's Place down by Oak Ridge.

The North side has the benefit of the Marine Reserve. You will easily find many of the similar critters that people no longer can find in the Caribbean.... larger Groupers, Barracudas, Parrotfish and the like. Because of this concentration of apex predators, there are fewer smaller species to find. Combine this with the u/w terrain of the north side- shaped by years of heavy storm action- the reefs look great, but in comparison to the South side, they look relatively barren.

Divers will be enjoying the North side for many years to come. The South side is a treasure that is slipping away. Go now.

I liked Mary's Place and Calvin's a lot. Between the 2, I preferred Mary's but I know each has their fans. I enjoyed the coral growth on Mary's place, but obviously the growth is better near the top than on the bottom.

Here is a video I made of the two dives. You can decide for yourself if the dive is worthwhile or beaten up.

Wadivediva... thanks for asking this question. My wife and I are making our first trip to CoCo View on Feb 9th. Sounds like we made a good choice. Our local dive club makes a couple trips there each year and everyone seems to love the place. I will give a writeup when we return.Bill

I certainly cant say anything bad about Anthonyls Key or Coco View ---both are very nice facilities and just depends upon your personality and what you want--- either place can offer you a wonderful experience..... but for me having been several times you just cannot beat the deal, facilities and service at Fantasy Island. Robert and the crew at the dive shop are first class and bust their cans to make each dive experience the best it can be. Lodging has just been renovated and a brand new pool is waiting after a day in the salt water.....food is a king size buffet three times a day and quality is as good as the quantity.....suffice it to say Fantasy Island is my favorite place to stay in Roatan so I can eat, dive, eat dive, eat, dive...sleep and start all over again. Check out their web site and if you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them.

I must agree on this point. The swim through at Mary's place is badly beaten up...:( but the top reef... I believe it's the nicest I saw while I was there! If I went back, I think I'd talk my buddy into skipping the dive through and staying on the top reef...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I don't know if Mary's place is technically 1 swimthrough or many different one's in the same area.

I went through and my video shows 5 separate swimthroughs on the site Cocoview called Mary's place. I enjoyed it since the dive as a whole had variety. Narrow channels with light, dark very tight channel with very little light and other channels with coral growth near the tops.

I just got back from Roatan, and have only great things to say about Pura Vida Dive Center. I didnt stay there, due to some booking when i decided to go. Staff was great, Helen (shop Manger) is very nice and will work with you as much as she can to help you do what you want. Antonio (IDC Staff) is very knowlegable, and thier Instructor Group were awsome also.

I like the West End area of Roatan (north side of the Island) My suggestion is to go to West End and just stop in all the Dive Shop till you find one that fits you, talk to the People at the shop a while ask about prices, check out equpiment, ect. Most have lodging on site also

If your looking for Resort that has everything and dont plan on seeing anything other then the resort, Anthonys Key seems to be the place on the North side. I didnt talk to any of the staff but the shop, boats, and equipment all looked nice. Luna Beach Resort is another recomandtion on the northside, Very freindly staff, great rooms, and close enough to West End (5 min walk up the beach) if you want some of the local night life, but far enough away that its quite at night.

Roatan Dive Resort – Pura Vida Resort Hotel, Restaurant and Dive Centre, Roatan, Honduras
Scuba Diving: Luna Beach Resort, Roatan Caribbean Paradise Accommodations
Anthony's Key resort Honduras

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom