Recommendations for Non-Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zzzScuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a "family" of non-diving friends heading to Cozumel. While I consider myself a "regular" visitor to the island, and have given them my list of "things to do", I'm looking for other ideas. Please share.

Jeff.

What is on your list of "things to do" maybe we can fill in the blanks :D

off the top of my head

beach clubs
museum
east side beaches
Punta sur lighthouse
go to the mainland for the day and tour Tulum

Walk through the gardens at Occidental Grand and Iberostar. They're both incredible, absolutely beautiful.

50g077.jpg

w8un36.jpg

nrzvd.jpg

zk37fc.jpg

a1nyow.jpg

ayay4m.jpg

idaa6q.jpg

Hello. I agree with prior post- the museum, a visit to the mainland, either Playa del Carmen and/or Tulum.

Another vote for the museum, a trip around the island (you can hire a cab for the day or rent a car), San Gervasio archeologocal site, is much larger than I think most people think it is and is a great place to kick off Mayan intrests if going to the mainland is not an option.

Of course San Gervasio is nothing compared to Chichen Itza, which can be done as a day trip from Playa del Carmen, or there is a tour that flies from Coz to C.I. rather than taking the bus for 3.5+ hours. each way.

Tulum is much closer, but not as impressive as C.I. either, it's much cooler though being located on the coast. Coba and Chichen Itza are right in the Yucatan jungle and can be quite opressive at times. A good p.m. rain shower is not uncommon, bring a pancho.

Coba is another 40km or so ('bout an hour) inland from Tulum, it was one of the largest cities in the Mayan world, but has just been scratched as far as excavation goes. It does have a great representation of a temple in Puuc architectural style and Nohoc Mull is the tallest temple in the Yucatan. Stop and see my friend the sculpture in one of the small Mayan villages along the way.

Keep the ideas coming.
I'm meeting with the "parents" of the family, this weekend.
(oh yeah, mother, father, 3 sons... ages 14, 19 and 20)
I'm going to print this string and give it to them.
You're making my life ALOT easier! :D

Jeff.

Put them on a snorkeling boat! We had snorkelers free diving down to 20' to check out the reef, and us while diving on Palancar gardens (I believe), and the snorkelers appeared to be having a great time. The vis is so good, even if they are 30 feet above a reef it's still very cool.

Beach time is an obvious choice, but you have to stay south. IMO for non-divers having a real beach to hang out on is a huge plus, and an obvious choice. The downside of staying south is an expensive cab ride in town.

Jet Skis, para-sailing (I assume that is available) and the normal beach activities apply.

Spa trips, and all the amenities offered by many resort hotels are certainly worth doing, but can be expensive.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom