Recommendations for liveaboard vessels to Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

My partner and I are planning a 4d/4n liveaboard diving trip to the Similans in Jan 09 and would like some recommendations re diving boats. Our priorities are safety in terms of divemaster experience, quality of equipment, etc. Our budget is around USD900 - USD1000 (the cheaper the better).

We have read recommendations and are considering diving with either Colona VI, MV Jazz, Queen Scuba or Black Mantra. If anyone has dived with these boats before, please let us know your experience in terms of safety, quality of dive spots visited, etc.

Also, what are the diving conditions at this time of year? We have completed our Open Water Certifications a few years ago and haven't been diving since. So we are a little rusty and would like a small refresher course in terms of safety checks, etc. Alternatively, we are considering completing our Advanced Open Water certification.

We are unsure whether to depart from Phuket or Khao Lak. We are travelling from Krabi so Khao Lak seems closer but we have read that most of the pick-ups are from Phuket.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I dove with Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak. They were a excellent operation and have different choices of boats for most budgets. The divemasters were very safety oriented and expierenced.

Scuba diving Thailand - Similan islands liveaboard dive Trips around Phuket and Khao Lak

We were there in April so I can not comment on the conditions

Enjoy - this was the best diving I have done

**I just checked their prices for 4 days/nights and it is $620.00 per person**

There are plenty of "cheap" boats....

If you have done ONLY your certification course and not dived in a few years you need a full refresher course, a couple of nice and easy dives with an instructor. You can do this in Krabi, Phuket or Khao Lak, but you certainly need it. Doing a refresher and then Advanced Open Water would be best. I'd hesitate to book someone for the Advanced Open Water if they had not dived for a few years. You should do a refresher first really. Advanced Open Water can be done before a liveaboard or on a liveaboard.

Liveaboards depart from Phuket or Khao Lak. Of those you mention, Colona 6 departs from Phuket, the Jazz, Queen Scuba and Black Manta from Khao Lak. All will pick up in Phuket, Jazz has a small transfer fee.

Krabi to Phuket or Khao Lak, same distance give or take a few miles.

All are good boats, I'd say Black Manta is most comfortable. All have good staff like Steve on Colona 6, Rik on the Jazz, Michael on Queen Scuba and Owen on Black Manta (tour leaders). I can't really say one is better than the other in terms of diving or staff. Best choice is the one that fits your needs and dates best.

Choose well!

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom