Recommendations for Fusion DS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow Scuba Board friends I have been pondering another DS that would be a better travel warm water suit. Florida cave country tough yet not as heavy as some of the other trilams "shell" suits. Please share your likes and dis-likes they all will be appreciated. I am going to get to demo a Fusion very soon and it has been getting good reviews for my buddies. It has to be user friendly, pee valve, pockets, easy to fix, the works. I try to be very careful with my gear but things happen we can not control and durability is a big concern. I dive primarily cold water here in the north and would rather have a flexible but tough outer skin. Thanks for your comments and sdvice.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Cam, I can't compare my fusion with other, I've never dove in anything but this one.

That being said... I LOVE THIS SUIT.

The crotch is a little saggy at the end of the dive, but nothing a tug can't fix.

I haven't put the p-valve or the dry gloves on it yet.

I was pitched onto the rocks this weekend, and I caught a fish hook in the thigh... no tears or rips at all.

I dove trilam and neoprene suits for 15 years before getting a Fusion. I have owned a Fusion for about a year and a half now and have not babied it on a fairly steady diet of FL cave diving and mid atlantic wreck diving as well as more mundane dives penterating various aricraft and boats in quarries in VA and NC.

I have yet to have a leak or hole in the suit and the tech skin has held up very well. It has been surprisingly durable and has avoided holes in situations that would have probably put a hole in a trilam. I suspect the puncture and tear resistance comes from the ability of the outer skin to move independently of the inner bladder combined with the tech skin probably aborbing damage (and no doubt suffering pin hole damage) that would result in leaks in a trilam.

Flexibility is also excellent and to get a similar level of mobility in a trilam results in a baggy suit and higher drag.

The Fusion also swims much like a wet suit or snug fitting neoprene suit and allows a lot more lattitude in terms of body position, etc without having to worry about controlling air migration in the suit.

CamG, there are lots of reviews on the Fusion that talk about your questions.

I've had mine for a year now (so, maybe 150-160 dives). I got it last September and went right to a wreck penetration class in the St. Lawrence river, where the instructor hauled my buddy and I through tight, sharp, oily ship interiors - sometimes with our masks off and sharing gas. I wish I could tell you that I didn't run into the wreck several times, but I did. I ended up with a bit of scratching on the shinny knee pads, but otherwise the suit was no worse for the buffoonery, and looks as good today as it did a year ago.

I did some DIY changes to the pockets and added a pee valve, but it looks like Whites has improved upon the original pocket design. The pockets are a little small, and the soft, rubbery pocket flaps take a bit of getting used to.

What I like the least is the small ankles, which makes if very difficult to squeeze my size 12 feet through (again, it looks like Whites has addresses this, too).

But the comfort level of this suit is a dream. It really is as comfortable as everyone says.

As for moving from cold to warm water, the suit is perfect. I dived it in winter water in the 30's with the MK3 undies. I also dived it in Hawaii this last spring with light undies, and it was much more comfortable than a 5mm wetsuit. It was so nice to dive warm water with a pee valve, pockets, back-up buoyancy control... perfect.

So far the suit is holding up as good or better as any I've had (OS Systems shell, DUI CF200, Whites Nexis, Diving Concepts UltraFlex pro), and is tons more comfortable.

I'd buy another.

I've had my Fusion for a year and a half and a lot of cave diving. I've put one hole in it, and that was getting back on the Peace in Southern California, where you slosh onto the metal swim step and get on your knees, and I put a hole in the left knee. It was easy to patch.

I don't have the tech skin or the pockets, but use X-shorts. I wish there were a better pocket solution for the suit. I've also gone through a lot of footgear, trying to find the ideal solution, but the new boots Whites is offering may be that. I went through wrist seals on this suit faster than I ever have before -- don't know why; the heavy duty wrist seals are really good for Viking dry glove rings, though.

I still love the mobility and the versatility of the suit, but there is no perfect dry suit. I'm not in the market for another one, though . . . :)

Hello CamG,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Fusion. Rick, DA, and TS&M have already replied regarding the suits flexibility and comfort so I will simply agree with them and say it is really amazing.

I wanted to point out that repairing the suit is a breeze as well. Whites uses a Dry Adhesive technology to replace seals and patch holes so there is no glue invloved. If you puncture the suit you simply put a patch over the hole and apply heat from a heat gun to bond the patch to the suit. The same principle applies to the neck and wrist seals.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Justin

I dove trilam and neoprene suits for 15 years before getting a Fusion. I have owned a Fusion for about a year and a half now and have not babied it on a fairly steady diet of FL cave diving and mid atlantic wreck diving as well as more mundane dives penterating various aricraft and boats in quarries in VA and NC.

I have yet to have a leak or hole in the suit and the tech skin has held up very well. It has been surprisingly durable and has avoided holes in situations that would have probably put a hole in a trilam. I suspect the puncture and tear resistance comes from the ability of the outer skin to move independently of the inner bladder combined with the tech skin probably aborbing damage (and no doubt suffering pin hole damage) that would result in leaks in a trilam.

Flexibility is also excellent and to get a similar level of mobility in a trilam results in a baggy suit and higher drag.

The Fusion also swims much like a wet suit or snug fitting neoprene suit and allows a lot more lattitude in terms of body position, etc without having to worry about controlling air migration in the suit.

What he said - although my experience in heavy tri-lams was five years not fifteen :wink:

Hello All I think I have made a decision and really appreciate your answers and input.
I have been impressed with the suit, a little concerned about pockets but loving the LE Tech skin! I like the reinforced knee. I actually think I found what I was looking for.
Has anyone tried putting their own pockets on? Just interested. I have been very disappointed in the pockets on my BARE and am considering removing and replacing.
When I get my Fusion I will have the option of doing just that!
Thank you again and I am excited to get going!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I just got my LE skin with pockets the other day and dove it yesterday. The pockets are fine as is IMHO. During the dive I found a spare-air and was able to simply put it in the pocket and the neoprene stretched as necessary to keep it secure. I also carry a dry box when I dive with a spot-finder inside. The other pocket holds this large-ish positively bouyant item easily. That and the two grommets on either side for tethers and I am sold on them. Of course, you can make your decision when you get the suit :) Just my .02psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom