Recommendations for dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you decide you're interested in DUI, check this page from their website for demos and factory seconds that might work for you at a steep discount. http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm Also, Aquatech, a big DUI dealer in San Diego seems to ebay a large number of DUI seconds and misorders. I think their ebay name is DiveUS.

I dove for years up in the PNW in a Bare tri-lam and loved it. I have dove both the heavy material and lighter material and found no real problems with either, in the water the thickness was not that noticable. I have also dove neoprene suits and crushed neo, hated both, much bulkier than even the heavier tri-lam material.
My recommendations are 3 things: Try on many different suits at your LDC, don't go the cheap route and buy one off the internet, you run the risk of getting one that doesn't fit. Make sure the suit has latex seals, and go for rock boots.

I like Viking suits myself, and the latex seals are nice. I'd say as the others have try on several brands and see what fits. I have looked seriously at a Dive Rite 905 but could find none locally to try on, but I like it's design specs.

Ummmm....I didn't write that last post. I think someone was one my account.

Might as well look into the Viking Xtreme, they're a nice combination of economy & quality, using Si Tech valves & thicker than average cuffs & seals: http://home.pacbell.net/k8x/viking.html
Also available in a front zip version for only $50 more.

Can anyone comment on their Whites Drysuit? They don't seem to get much attention. Does this indicate that they are not worth a shake or are they simply a dark horse?

3ddiver:
I use a DUI TLS 350 and I really like it. Consider a pocket and relief zipper, I didnt see the need when I bought the suit...I do now

Could you say why? (I'm curious, since I'm going to buy a drysuit soon) I thought that with a self-donning drysuit it's easy enough to undo everything when you need to go.

cmm1970:
Can anyone comment on their Whites Drysuit? They don't seem to get much attention. Does this indicate that they are not worth a shake or are they simply a dark horse?
I don't have one, but Rick Inman on this board has (or used to have) one. I think he liked it. Archangel (on this board) has one as well (both are Catalysts, I think). I looked at them, but a couple people I spoke to noted that they don't like the position of the shoulder dump. Has a tendency to come too far forward, so you have to get a bit vertical to bring it to the top to work properly, rather than being able to stay properly horizontal.

Just repeating hearsay... take it for what it's worth.

Good brands I've heard recommended over and over are Bare, DUI, USIA, Diving Concepts and Pinnacle.

Given an unlimited budget I'd go DUI in a heartbeat. For a new suit with a limited budget any of the above will do, and for a used suit, ditto. Note that only DUI has zip seals, which raise the value of their used suits, IMO, all else being equal.

"Could you say why? (I'm curious, since I'm going to buy a drysuit soon) I thought that with a self-donning drysuit it's easy enough to undo everything when you need to go"

It isn't bad to get off and on but it would be a lot easier to simply unzip in the front. Lots of times you have the top off already but sometimes there is a hurry if you know what I mean.:wink:

If you're considering a neo dry suit, take a look at the swedish brand Waterproof and it's Draco Drysuit.
www.waterproof.se
It's a 3,5mm Hi-Density Neopren Dry-suit, comfortable as if you'd be diving a semi-dry one. I started diving this suit last winter and I'm really happy with it. It's full of little details that make Dry-diving easier. Solid kevlar reinforced boots, neopren covers over the latex at your neck and wrists, SI-Tech Valves, an additional zipper at your back to protect de dry one, and the most important (IMHO) an anatomical cut that helps your movement, over and under water.
It's only a suggestion.
Hidroj
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom