Recommendations for dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dustchoke

New
Reaction score
I have done all my dive training and recreational dive training in the Southern part of the US, i.e. warm water. I have had no need for a dry suit although I have done dry suit training. It looks like I may moving further North and need to consider buying a dry suit. Has anyone got any recommendations before I commit to buy?

I use a DUI TLS 350 and I really like it. Consider a pocket and relief zipper, I didnt see the need when I bought the suit...I do now

If I had it to over again, I would rent several different brands and see which one fits the best. Fit is everything, so before you buy one make sure you find one that fits right with the undergarment you are going to be using. I bought one that didn't fit quite right and ended up having to replace it with another one, because I just couldn't dive with it (it was a little too small). Figure out what type suit you want (trilam, crushed neo, etc) and then try different manufactureres (they all cut a little different), find one that fits right, and that is the one should get.

lyonsce:
If I had it to over again, I would rent several different brands and see which one fits the best. Figure out what type suit you want (trilam, crushed neo, etc) and then try different manufactureres (they all cut a little different), find one that fits right, and that is the one should get.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above advise. Relatedly, here's the text of a recent post I put up on the topic replying to a similar question.

RJP:
Well, I have owned two in my short dive career so I can compare and contrast them for you.

BARE Trilam HD Tech Dry:
ba011102-BLK.jpg

Good suit, material on the heavier side for trilam which seemed like it would be good and hold up well. I got it on-line from one of the well know e-tailers. Good price: for around $1500 I got the suit, plus a pocket, plus cuff rings, plus neoprene boots, plus suspenders, plus the CT-200 undies, plus a 7mm hood. Suit was fine, and kept me dry and warm down to 43degrees. Dried quickly

Downsides: suit was heavy. Almost as heavy as a neoprene suit. Suit was stiff, not very flexible. Didn't like the way the legs connected to the boots, had a cuff that came down over the boots, sort of like pants. Didn't like the "anti-inflation" built in gaitors, didn't work that well but added bulk and weight. The hose was a bit cheesey - plastic "wing nut" like thingy on the valve end would get snagged frequently and pop the hose off the valve. Didn't like the neck seal which was NOT the way it is pictured in the photo. Looks like a "warm neck" seal, but it actually came with one of those "bellows-like" neck seals. With/because of all that it didn't seem like it fit me that well, and had really restricted range of motion especially in my arms. I bought a "TALL" size for my 6'2" frame which should have fit me perfectly on paper anyway.

DUI TLS-350:
dui-tls350.jpg

I tried one of these at my LDS for kicks, just to see what all the hubbub was - all the owners and instructors wear them. I told them that I didn't think the mens large stock would fit me - on paper it should only go to about 5'11" and should be too wide for my 180# frame.

Fit me like a custom suit! Material is super-light. I'd say it weighs half what the Bare suit weighs. Much thinner material, the whole suit folds/rolls down tiny and fits with undies in the smallish bag that DUI provides, as oppsed to Barely (get it - "Bare"ly!) fitting into the duffle bag the Bare suit came with. Suit dries quickly, and is very comfortable. Range of motion is fine. I got the turbo soles as I don't care for the rock boots.

Downsides: Price. Package was about $300 more than the Bare suit. For ~$1800 I got the TLS-350 plus the "sport package" which included CF-200 knee pads, two pockets, and a "warm neck" hood. Not a lot of money difference, and well worth the extra to me.

dustchoke:
Has anyone got any recommendations before I commit to buy?

DO YOUR RESEARCH AND GET A GOOD FIT!!!

I prefer compressed neoprene for it strenght/durbl. and warmth....but it is 'heavy',,,I own a BARE and have been happy with this suit. When buying a suit get with a dealer who actually knows there line and fit,,,,order any options you think you would actually use. Get replaceable wrist seals for sure. I prefer a neoprene seal at the neck again for comfort and durbl.. Don't rush into a buy....check around and if possible try a few models out. :)

Definately do some research. last months Scubadiving Mag. had a good article about many diffrent types of dry suits. I dive a Northern Divers Cortex with the front entry and love it. They are a well made and tough suit. Their website is www.ndiver.com if you want to check them out.

To add to what others have said. Look at the type of diving you'll be doing. If you find yourself (or have plans in the future) doing predominately boat dives, the tri-lam might work better for you. If you'll be doing a lot of shore diving, a crushed neoprene suit might be a better option. The tri-lams are more fragile than the crushed neoprene's, and might end up with holes, rips or abrasions if you do a lot of shore diving or crawling around on your knees or hanging up on rocks.

Get the kneepads and pockets for sure. Try a few different types of boots to see what YOU prefer. Some people hate DUI's rockboots (just look how many pop up for sale on E-bay or here), some people hate socks and booties or turbo soles, some people hate hard boots. It's up to you.

I have a DUI CF200 sig series with DV boots and like it. It fits the type of diving that I do most.

I recently evaluated dry suits up here in the PNW and ended up going with a shell version made by USIA. It is of a new type of shell material (techniflex) that has some 4 way stretch in it. I have been very pleased with it so far.

I had a chance to try the DUI suits at a DUI DOG day event and thought that they also made some very nice suits, but for significantly more $$. I would look at DUI's home page and see if they are having any of their demo days in a deep body of water near where you live.

I use an OSSystems HD Pro. Semi custom with hood, bag, 2 sets undergarments, and commercial dry glove system, and relief zipper- 1650 including tax and shipping. add about 125 for full custom

Back
Top Bottom