Recommendations for dives in Isla Mujeres/Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lilhubb9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Before we even get started yeeessss I know, Cozumel is the place to go when in the area but its just not in the cards for us. We are taking a family trip in the last week of May 2022 and the majority voted Cancun much to the divers in the family's dismay. We are going to be staying at Rio Dunamar which is North of Cancun proper. There are only a few of us that are going diving, gonna make a full day of it if we can but we can't get away with dipping out on the family long enough to make it to Cozumel. My question is:

Are there any reasonable/reputable places to go out of Cancun or Isla Mujeres that will make it worth our while? The resort claims they have a dive shop but the website and information available about it is questionable at best. When you search other shops there are quite a few but you can never be to sure by just looking at the numerous websites.

Note: This is where the resort is in refence to the two locations.
1637447710628.png

I only did two dives from Cancun, in Dec. 2016, but I enjoyed them greatly.

we dove the C-55. The C-58 is the more composed wreck and preferable, but the mooring buoy was missing. Still very nice dive (not much of a wreck), eagle ray season, lots of them swimming past, lionfish, lots of grunts and reef fish. Can have lots of current.

The reef drift dive generally done after the wrecks (I think its called "No Name Reef") was excellent, in terms of sea life. Tons of fish, a baby bull shark, the biggest (2') puffer type fish ive ever seen, a 3'+ Nassau Grouper, swam next to a green turtle for a bit, saw an eel, and countless reef fish, all on one dive.

I went with with Scuba Diving Cancun. They were great. A smaller boat than usual (backroll off the side, removable ladder on the side type deal). I feel that there are lots of operators in the resort zone, you should have no problem finding one.

Below is the post I made at the time. Like you, non-divers chose Cancun, but there's at least 2 good dives there.

cancun & PDC post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom