Recommendations for Bali dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sumfingwong,

What dates are you going to be in Bali? We're heading there on Sept 19, for three weeks, and will be doing a lot of diving.

We're starting out in Candidasa for 5 days and will do both Crystal Bay and Manta Point (conditions permitting). From there we're going to Tulamben and will stay there for four days. From there it's on to Pemuteran for several nights, and we will do some local diving as well as Menjangan Island.

After that it's off to Ubud for topside adventures.

Just wondering if we'll be crossing paths!

Hi Sumfingwong,

What dates are you going to be in Bali? We're heading there on Sept 19, for three weeks, and will be doing a lot of diving.

We're starting out in Candidasa for 5 days and will do both Crystal Bay and Manta Point (conditions permitting). From there we're going to Tulamben and will stay there for four days. From there it's on to Pemuteran for several nights, and we will do some local diving as well as Menjangan Island.

Hi LeeAnne,

Unfortunately we are leaving on Sept 19th :(

Would have been nice to overlap, the more the merrier. :)

Hi Sumfingwong,

Hi LeeAnne,

Looks like our plans have changed, instead of heading to Tulamben/Ahmed from Ubud. We are going to either Candadisa. Can you (or others) recommend a dive op out of those areas?

My wife did not like any of the hotels in Tulamben and Ahmed, so she found some nice ones in Candadisa. How long does it take for a dive op to travel to the USS Liberty Wreck dive from Candadisa? Looks like I have to sacrifice the Liberty dive for the wife.

Hi,

I'm using Aquamarine Diving -- I used them last time and they were fantastic! They also get excellent reviews both here and on TripAdvisor. Here's their website: Bali Diving, Daily SCUBA Dive Trips, Bali Indonesia with AquaMarine Diving Bali

While I haven't used them myself so I can't give a personal recommendation, another dive op in the area is Geko Dive Bali. They are very active here on Scubaboard, and also get excellent reviews. I am always happy to see a dive op be active on SB -- that usually means they will do a good job because they are not afraid of direct communication with us divers! :) Here's their email: info@gekodivebali.com

My trip is coming up...we leave in less than a week! Two nights stay in Hong Kong, then off to Bali. Yes, Candidasa has some very nice hotels. We're staying at the Watergarden. I'm curious why your wife didn't like any of the hotels in Tulamben...there are some lovely ones, although admittedly they are very diver-centric, as I guess that's about all there is to do in Tulamben. :)

Hi,

I'm using Aquamarine Diving -- I used them last time and they were fantastic! They also get excellent reviews both here and on TripAdvisor. Here's their website: Bali Diving, Daily SCUBA Dive Trips, Bali Indonesia with AquaMarine Diving Bali

While I haven't used them myself so I can't give a personal recommendation, another dive op in the area is Geko Dive Bali. They are very active here on Scubaboard, and also get excellent reviews. I am always happy to see a dive op be active on SB -- that usually means they will do a good job because they are not afraid of direct communication with us divers! :) Here's their email: info@gekodivebali.com

My trip is coming up...we leave in less than a week! Two nights stay in Hong Kong, then off to Bali. Yes, Candidasa has some very nice hotels. We're staying at the Watergarden. I'm curious why your wife didn't like any of the hotels in Tulamben...there are some lovely ones, although admittedly they are very diver-centric, as I guess that's about all there is to do in Tulamben. :)

Thanks LeeAnne!

She spent a couple hours looking at all the hotels/resorts in Tulamben and Ahmed, nothing popped out at her. So she started to look at Candidasa, and she found the Sea Breeze, so thats where we are headed :)

Happy wife.. happy life.. especially since she will be hanging out at the resort for 2 days while I dive! :) So I told her to pick the next hotel so she can relax.

Sea Breeze is where I got married. I love this hotel. Stunning location and great service with excellent value for money. Sure your wife will love it. Try to book the nuptial suite!
You do not have to give up on the Liberty wreck. It is about one hour away from your hotel. Dive centres can pick you up on the way North with all equipment, food and beverages waiting for you in the car.
Same holds true for diving most of East Bali's dive sites...

The Liberty wreck is fantastic, you could do 2 days on this alone and not get bored. I did Candidisa to the Liberty, took about an hour each way. It's a shore dive so you can offset that against any boat time. On the shore, there's a lot of people kitting up and a lot of buses in the car park but it's fine once you're under. There's loads of different ways to dive this wreck so it splits people up at bit.

The other must do dive is Manta Point, the mantas are huge yet extremely placid as they circle around you. Usually this is done on the same day as Crystal Bay, which personally I felt was over rated. The big thing here is to try and see the Mola Mola, but hanging around in current, staring into the blue for 40 minutes doesn't make for an interesting dive. Especially when the reef behind you is in good condition and of interest in itself. If I had my time again, I would have said to the DM for us to go up and down the reef for a look and if a Mola Mola appears then it's a bonus. That said the current can be strong and unpredictable here so go with whatever the DM says is possible.

If you are in Candidisa, Padang Bai is only 15 minutes away and there is another dive from there. A smallish purpose sunk boat and 3 or so Buddha statues, not a must do but a fun dive. We did this on the same day as a site called The Jetty or The Pier which was a jetty built for cruise ships but the water is too shallow so is just used by fishermen and divers. Again, not the lifetime memories somewhere like Manta Point will give you, but a great day out all the same.

Topside in Candidisa, take your wife for a meal in Vincent's. It's not that expensive, lovely garden surroundings and guaranteed to score dive pass out points :)

Finally, for airport transfers, getting around and any sight seeing you want to do, I really can't recommend this guy enough - Wayan - Home - Taxidriver Bali Great prices, properly focused on customer service and a really nice guy on top. More than happy to go out of his way or add time onto a trip.

Hi,

I'm also using AquaMarine for my November Bali trip. They recommended Ocean View at Tulamben where I haven't stayed before. Any comments?

Thanks LeeAnne!

She spent a couple hours looking at all the hotels/resorts in Tulamben and Ahmed, nothing popped out at her. So she started to look at Candidasa, and she found the Sea Breeze, so thats where we are headed :)

Happy wife.. happy life.. especially since she will be hanging out at the resort for 2 days while I dive! :) So I told her to pick the next hotel so she can relax.

Dump the wife...keep the scuba gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom