recommendations for a "mid-range" computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emmagee

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just getting back into diving after a 13 year hiatus. At that time dive computers were in their infancy and for the most part no one used them. Obviously things have changed.

It seems that, although they will never replace tables and common sense, that they have almost become a "must have" item. Since this is a completly new subject for me I am clueless as to what to look for, but I have read through the reports on Roedale's.

I am not looking for a low-cost, entry level computer, but I don't need a top-of-the-line model either. Since nitrox is something that I will probably soon deal with I'd like one that is nitox capable, but also a top notch air computer as well. What features are necessary and what is useless?

I've always used primarily ScubaPro gear and have always been happy with it, how are their computers? The Ultra-Pro looks like it might be a good choice. Is any one mfg. considered the best mfg. of computers, any to avoid? I think I would prefer a console computer, but is a wrist mount a better choice or is is completely subjective; pros/cons of both?

Obviously I don't know much about this subject, so I would sure apprecite some good advice from you guys and gals who are more familiar with this stuff! Thanks a million!!!!!

emmagee once bubbled...
I've always used primarily ScubaPro gear and have always been happy with it, how are their computers? The Ultra-Pro looks like it might be a good choice. Is any one mfg. considered the best mfg. of computers, any to avoid? I think I would prefer a console computer, but is a wrist mount a better choice or is is completely subjective; pros/cons of both?

Obviously I don't know much about this subject, so I would sure apprecite some good advice from you guys and gals who are more familiar with this stuff! Thanks a million!!!!!

First, welcome back to the wild wet world.

To answer your question, there is a lot of good equipment out there with competitive prices. Even though ScubaPro makes great equipment, I would stay clear of the Uwatec computers right now, until they work through the investigation of their computers.

Suunto, Aeris and Sherwood have some very good and competitive computers that will serve your requirements. Take a look at Leisure Pro or Diver Direct websites for price comparisons if you do not have an LDS you can trust.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom