Recommendation for vacation home near great diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of volcanoes, we took a look at Costa Rica and they have something like 113 volcanoes and about five of which are active at any given time. And yet, people live there.

Since that's not what some of us are used to, it may sound strange, but consider...I live in southwestern KY. Not long ago a tornado tore up part of an apartment complex in our town. Seems like every spring our home gets some high winds. Down in Florida, there are hurricanes to think about. Out in California, earth quakes. In recent years flooding has devastated large areas of the south. While most of us don't worry much about volcanos, how does the risk factor to compare to much of what we face back home?

Richard.

I started a thread on a similar topic a few years ago, but my topic has not been mentioned here yet.

My topic was that there are some very good reasons to return to the same vacation spot you own every year. I won't list them here--you probably know them already. Many people absolutely love that lifestyle. On the other hand, there are very good reasons NOT to go to the same place every year.

We used to co-own a nice cabin on a lake in the northeast. It was a very nice place to visit, but I hated it. I ended up spending a lot of my vacation time dealing with maintenance issues you never have to think about in a rental. More importantly, you are spending the same vacation year after year after year after year. I wanted to go somewhere else, to boldly go where I had not gone before, to seek out new worlds and new civilizations. That's me. Some people are like me. Some people aren't.

My wife and I are retired. We spend most of every winter in South Florida, and we have done it for years. We rent. The primary reason we go there is because of nearby relatives. If those relatives were not there, we would vary that location each year, just for the sake of variety. For the rest of the year, we travel to other locations. In the past couple years, we have gone to Australia, Bali, France, and other locations in the USA. In a month we will be in Palau.

That's what we like. I suggest you make sure you don't have that kind of longing in your system before you make a commitment.

Since that's not what some of us are used to, it may sound strange, but consider...I live in southwestern KY. Not long ago a tornado tore up part of an apartment complex in our town. Seems like every spring our home gets some high winds. Down in Florida, there are hurricanes to think about. Out in California, earth quakes. In recent years flooding has devastated large areas of the south. While most of us don't worry much about volcanos, how does the risk factor to compare to much of what we face back home?

Richard.

... I've been living in the shadow of the nation's largest active volcano for the past 25 years ... outside of having emergency evacuation plans handy, there's really not that much to worry about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

. I suggest you make sure you don't have that kind of longing in your system before you make a commitment.

Cozumel is a very long way from Hawai'i but we are thinking that from Hawai'i we might visit some places that might be closer, such as Samoa and Indonesia. I haven't checked the flights yet but geographically they are nearer than to California. Of course it also would add add least a few hundred miles to get to Puerto Vallarta which right now is a quick, easy trip.

Before I became "attached" I was working on building up some passive income so I could just buy a one-way ticket and go stay some place until I got restless, and then hop on a plane to the next location. But I am fine with staying in a modest place and living like the natives. My girlfriend, not so much.

Hi @Satrekker

I spent 4-5 years diving SE FL from Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter before we bought in Hypoluxo. By then, I had decided that I like the reef drift diving best in Boynton Beach and love the Castor, a preeminent location for Goliath Grouper aggregation and a great dive year round. I'm 5 minutes from the Boynton Harbor Marina. I'm only 15-20 minutes away from diving in West Palm or driving to the Blue Heron Bridge. I'm only a little over half an hour from Jupiter. I dive all 3 frequently and they are quite complimentary in what they offer. I had a couple of amazing dives in Jupiter this year around Lemon Shark aggregation. In addition, it allows me to frequently get out, even when conditions are not great. It's most difficult to get out of Boynton, Jupiter is intermediate, West Palm is most forgiving. I mainly use 5 operations and have a personal relationship with them.

I spent one day on each visit down to Florida looking at real estate with a very knowledgeable and kind agent for nearly a year before finding the place we bought. We lucked out and found a nice townhouse in a smaller community just off the intracoastal (look near Federal Highway and Hypoluxo Rd). The reasonable HOA fee was a nice plus, some are outrageous. We occasionally fly out of Miami rather than Philadelphia when it is very convenient for us. There are direct flights from Miami to Bonaire and to Roatan on AA for example. You can fly direct to Cayman Brac on Cayman Air.

Worked out great for me, heading back down this Thursday for 10 days of diving :)

Very best and good diving, Craig

Craig,
Thanks for the elaboration. I'm headed to W. Palm here in a couple of weeks for some diving myself, so I'm going to check out the beach communities. This might be a good mid-term option for me until I decide on where I want to live as an ex-pat.

Sounds like you're looking to live the dream! We've got a 5-year old kid, so with private school & such in mind, moving to a foreign destination isn't likely. It's fun to dream, though! Looking over other's replies, I'd like to hear more about your hopes & plans.

1.) Second home. How 'second' do you figure? Are we talking living there maybe 3 months out of the year, half-and-half, what? 4-6 months if I had to guess. I'll be fleeing the FL "winter" for warmer climes. LOL

2.) What kind of diving do you mainly want to do? What do you mainly want to see? I used to think living on Bonaire would be the bomb, but you don't see many sharks or much big stuff...how long would it be before, putting love for shore diving freedom aside, you flew off to see large pelagics, etc...? And if you're traveling to dive, why buy again?

my favorite diving is ripping current, coral, and lots of sharks. Bigger is usually better for me. That's why FL east coast diving is my favorite near dive destination, but I do enjoy spearfishing regularly on the west coast by my house.

3.) Are you child-free? I'm guessing so; the lack of requirements for educational institutions & a desire to raise kids in one's home country/culture then are non-issues.

No kids.

4.) What do you like to do besides water sports? Is spending months in a place with no shopping mall where you can't drive an hour straight without flying off into the sea a problem?

Living in FL allows me to indulge in my water activities, but I also enjoy trekking, mountain climbing, white water rafting... pretty much anything to do with the outdoors.

5.) Are you sure nearly 365 days/year of de facto bright, sunny hot summer weather is what you want? Florida glories in being the sunshine state, so maybe so. I love visiting Bonaire, but if I lived there full time it'd get...awfully bright for me.

Year round sun is no problem. I've lived in FL long enough to have adjusted.

6.) Are you at an age (whatever that is) where you anticipate in the next 10 to 15 years desiring ready access to a physician (e.g.: getting on med.s for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc...)?

I'm very fit, active, and eat healthy, so aside from injury, I'm not too worried about health issues.

Big question: instead of just looking at a location's pro.s, ask yourself 'What would I miss if I were there 3 months?'

Richard.

P.S.: I like Scubadada's approach. You can make it down to Key Largo for colorful shallow reef diving or deep wrecks, enjoy deeper reef diving closer to home, view the larger animals such as goliath grouper and various shark species close to home, and maybe hit Blue Heron Bridge for a neat mix of critters. Plus it's U.S., with the amenities of home and the U.S. health care system.

I agree with you here. This has pretty much moved to the top of my list because it would be the perfect interim solution for me.

As an ex-expat, I recommend finding a location and living there before looking to buy anything that locks you into that location. Heck, I recommend that for anyone looking to buy a house domestically. Add in all the complications of being an expat, and figuring out if it's for you without the baggage of owning a home there makes even more sense.

I agree; however, I've owned other homes out of the country (Peru), so I'm familiar with what is involved.

Cozumel is a very long way from Hawai'i but we are thinking that from Hawai'i we might visit some places that might be closer, such as Samoa and Indonesia. I haven't checked the flights yet but geographically they are nearer than to California. Of course it also would add add least a few hundred miles to get to Puerto Vallarta which right now is a quick, easy trip.

Before I became "attached" I was working on building up some passive income so I could just buy a one-way ticket and go stay some place until I got restless, and then hop on a plane to the next location. But I am fine with staying in a modest place and living like the natives. My girlfriend, not so much.

Fiji's a pretty direct flight from Hawaii ... and if you haven't been to Fiji I highly recommend it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Fiji's a pretty direct flight from Hawaii ... and if you haven't been to Fiji I highly recommend it ...
For most of Fiji, you have to be a Fijian to own property. There are, however, "freehold" areas where that is not true.

I went there about 16 years ago (I think), not long after a coup, and the economy was depressed. There was a nice stone cottage (two bedroom) for sale in a freehold area near where I was staying. It was right next to a golf course that was good enough to have hosted a PGA tournament. The sale price was $27,000. If you wanted to hire someone to be a caretaker while you were away and be your chauffeur/servant while you were there, it would probably cost you around $2,000 per year.

I still can't believe I didn't buy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom