Recommendation for vacation home near great diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id do Passamaquoddy Bay in Eastport Maine. It is not tropical diving but I just saw a presentation and the diving is amazing! Property prices are dirt cheap and you are diving from the shore.

... four months out of the year ... six on a really good year ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm thinking about being an ex-pat in the next 10 years or so. I completely understand the LOB sentiment, and I agree, but I'm looking for a place to live. I'm in real estate and have experience with foreign investment, so it's not a deterrent to me. I'm interested in some feedback to help clarify a shorter list of locations to research.

The more I think about it, the more SE Asia begins to creep up my list, but it's not nearly as convenient of a locale from which to travel back and forth to NA.

I've been researching the same thing, for the same reason. Some places I've looked into ... Bali, Philippines, Baja (am heading down there in five weeks, partly to explore LaPaz and north parts of the peninsula), Costa Rica, and Panama.

As a foreigner, you can't buy property in some of these locations ... but a long-term lease works well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why not? Have you examined the economics? And the local laws regarding ownership?

I claim owning is a knee jerk feel good reaction. I want to own. You want to own. My accountant may have different views if I asked them. It's all about the money.

We are "retirement age" and have several friends that now live "abroad". None of them own anything abroad. Which surprised me.

Not surprising. Consider this ... living someplace isn't like visiting there on vacation. I love Bali ... been there many times, know the different regions on the island, the pros and cons of living there, and the economics based on my expected retirement income. Decided that although I absolutely love visiting, I'd get tired of the place in a year or two. So owning is probably not the best option anyway ... it just makes moving more difficult if you should decide in a couple years to try someplace else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... four months out of the year ... six on a really good year ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People dive it all year round but I guess you have to be a certain type of person to be able to do that.

People dive it all year round but I guess you have to be a certain type of person to be able to do that.

We dive year round here in the Pacific Northwest too ... but we don't have winters like they have in Maine. I'm definitely not the type to be dressing up for a dive when it's -20 F outside, and the harbor's frozen over ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used to think I would live in Latin America or Southeast Asia in retirement, but the more places I visit, the more I am thinking I would get tired of living in any dive destination year-round for the bulk of my retirement years. Maybe I'd rather have a modest home in a low cost of living part of the US near an airport hub with lots of nonstops to Caribbean destinations and just do short-term rentals a few times a year.

We could be very happy living on Cozumel if only there was more shore diving. I would go broke quickly going out on dive boats every other day. In a couple of weeks we are going to Hawai'i (Big Island) to do some shore diving and to look at houses. There are lots of small homes on an acre or so that can be had for $100K or less. The biggest question that we have, and hope to have answered, is why there are so many houses for sale and why do the prices keep coming down. Renting does not appear to be an option as there are very few houses available to rent (at least looking from here in California) and rents are very high. Volcanoes are not very predictable and yet Kona and Hilo are still there so many people must think the risk is not too great. Our current health insurance would be good in Hawai'i and useless in Mexico. One of the main obstacles in moving far away is grandkids. We were used to seeing them very often but half of them moved to Montana so we don't see them very often any more anyway. The other half is still nearby so if we kept our current house here we could spend summers and Christmastime here (we have the swimming pool in the family) so we would still get to see them quite a bit plus sooner or later nearly everyone takes a trip to Hawai'i. And if they didn't need to rent a place to stay or rent a car then they could afford to go more often, but paying airfare for a family of five is still a big expense. As you can see we don't quite have all the pluses and minuses worked out but for me a big plus is that I could go diving a LOT more than I do now. Speaking of volcanoes, we took a look at Costa Rica and they have something like 113 volcanoes and about five of which are active at any given time. And yet, people live there.

The biggest problem I've seen with "International Living" is that they make every place sound like it's the best :wink:

... which is, of course, their job. I find them to be a useful resource ... but only one of several for any given location. The biggest hurdle in researching any destination for retirement is keeping an open mind and not buying sales pitch ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom