Recommendation for vacation home near great diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been looking at this as well. Leaning towards Bonaire for several reasons (cost of food NOT one of them). Debating on the rent vs own still. Still have a year or two before it might happen. Be interesting to see the responses from others on SB.
I'd love to hear the reasons for your affinity for Bonaire. Probably the same as mine.

We bought on Roatan and this island would fit all of your requirements including ease of getting to and from from MIA....we sold soon afterwards coming to realize home is here and we'd rather visit numerous places than be confined to just one.

We bought on Roatan and this island would fit all of your requirements including ease of getting to and from from MIA....we sold soon afterwards coming to realize home is here and we'd rather visit numerous places than be confined to just one.
I would be very interested to understand what your accountant recommended.

We are struggling with pulling up sticks in Toronto and moving across the country to BC. Lots of emotional attachment to Toronto, lots of emotional excitement in moving to BC for the next 15 years.

Our accountant was a bitch. Wet towel. Party pooper. I hate him. He saved us a big bag of cash.

We did this on Grand Cayman. Lots of canal-front properties here. You don't say what your budget is, but we found that if you are open to renting your place while not here you can make it a pretty good deal.

I'd love to hear the reasons for your affinity for Bonaire. Probably the same as mine.

Bet it was about 82 degrees there today, plus or minus 2 degrees. The water is about 80 degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees today. The shore is always open, any hour. As is the reef, which is only a few yards from the shore. Hurricanes don't think Bonaire is worth hitting. Speaking English is not an impediment to communicate with most of the inhabitants. I like the desert. One that might be unique to me; one of my brothers lives there and dives. Housing is cheaper than at the North end of the Caribbean. My girlfriend likes the fact that sharks are hard to find, lol!
Only real downsides I have found is I can only fly there or back on the weekend (not sure how big a problem that is). Food is expensive.
Oh yeah, no current either

Last edited:
I remember noting a few years ago that every single american who had gotten killed on Roatan was involved in some sort of real estate deal.

If needing to return to the states is a consideration, then I think Cozumel is your best bet. Not a huge number of flights on Coz, but cross to the mainland and Cancun has lots.

Ask yourself how fast do you need to be able to get stateside. 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours. Plug your answer into your decision.

Grand Cayman, Curaçao? But both are relatively expensive

We did this on Grand Cayman. Lots of canal-front properties here. You don't say what your budget is, but we found that if you are open to renting your place while not here you can make it a pretty good deal.

I've been thinking this also. My current home is on a canal with Gulf access, so I'm inclined to have something very similar. I know that canal lots seem to be more prevalent in GC as well as the Bahamas, and I'm going to look into pricing and location. I know that renting is a nice way to offset the expense when not living there, so that is something additional to consider.

I've been thinking this also. My current home is on a canal with Gulf access, so I'm inclined to have something very similar. I know that canal lots seem to be more prevalent in GC as well as the Bahamas, and I'm going to look into pricing and location. I know that renting is a nice way to offset the expense when not living there, so that is something additional to consider.

Here are a few threads about buying on GC. If you want more info, happy to share what we know.

Purchasing Property on the Sister Islands

Purchasing Property on the Sister Islands

Buying property vs renting for longer term stays

And here is the link to the MLS database - happy hunting!
The Cayman Islands Largest Real Estate Portal - Welcome to CIREBA

Back
Top Bottom