Recommendation for dive shop in Key Largo who will rent tanks and weights for a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a great time! And be sure to write us a trip report when you get done :D (some of us have to live vicariously through others :depressed: ) And others will benefit from your information...

I definitely will report back, CajunDiva. That's why I really like SB....members are good about sharing valuable information so many of us don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'm really excited for my first dive trip to the Keys!

When looking in Key Largo, we offer daily and weekly outside rentals. Sea Dwellers Dive Center of Key Largo, located at Mile Marker 100. Call ahead to see if equipment will be available.

Thanks, Sea Dwellers Rob for the information. I looked at your website and see that you do air fills. I couldn't determine if you would rent just weights and tanks for a week????

We go to Horizon Divers every time we are down in Key Largo. Very friendly, professional operation. No in-house dive shop though. That's the case with many dive shops in the upper keys, because of the presence of the Divers Direct store (basically the all-inclusive Wal-Mart of dive shops).

They have weights included for free on the boat, so the first person to get to them will naturally get the proper weight they need. As the weights start getting picked through, some divers have to make due.

Tank and nitrox rentals are available.

The run a 6 pack and about a 24- diver boat, which when full is about like being on an overcrowded city bus. And they seem to have it full just about every day. They are a very professional and safe operation, though.

Boat Rental-you can rent a boat at Pennekamp but they have to remain in the Park. All new or nearly new Anglers with well maintained power easily accommodating 4 or more divers with tanks. Cal Scott our dock master direct at 305-451-6325. He might be able to cut you a little slack for multi-day rentals. Tanks, fills, right there.

Boat Rental-you can rent a boat at Pennekamp but they have to remain in the Park. All new or nearly new Anglers with well maintained power easily accommodating 4 or more divers with tanks. Cal Scott our dock master direct at 305-451-6325. He might be able to cut you a little slack for multi-day rentals. Tanks, fills, right there.

Thanks, conchrandy, for the information. I'll pass it on to our buddies!

...By the time you rent the boat for a week,rent tanks/weights,pay for gas, you probably be better off safety wise, and financially, by just going out on a charter boat. Running a boat out to the reef is not difficult, but if you do not know your way around ,it can be daunting.

Agree with this based on personal experience.

We have 4 of us diving and I think we will save alot of money just renting a boat. Not to mention we can just go when we want to. We own everything for us no tank rentals or weight, just need to be able to get fills. We just might bring one of our boats down to dove on who knows. We all dive the panhandle where running the boat is marked very well and with some common sense you can see where the shallows are as I think it would be down there. Just saying

After weighing all the pros and cons of renting a boat vs. diving with a shop, we've made a decision (based on all of the helpful comments on SB) to go ahead and dive with a shop. Now we are searching for a shop that will meet our needs. I've sent out an email to several shops that have been recommended by SB members. Once I get the replies we'll do a comparison and make a choice. Thanks again to all of you who responded. Your experiences has helped us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom