Recommendation for Dive light under $50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a Pelican Pelilite "Laser" light.

The thing is a piece of crap and it's on-off mechanism is guaranteed to fail and it did.
I was in a hurry when I bought it but it's useless. At $20 it's $19 too expensive.

Can someone recommend a compact dive light with a waterproof mechanism under $50?

Thanks,

Sy

Send it back, they will give you a new one. What do you want your dive light to do for you? What kind of diving do you do?

Brent

My diving is in tropical waters, nothing "technical" and I just want a light for illumination of crooks and crannies and with a dependable "on-off" mechanism.

I plan to return my Pelican light to them for a replacement but I think their "rotary dialed" on-off switch is virtually guaranteed to flood because a bit of an extra turn opens to the battery compartment. That works fine with my Mag-Lights but not in water. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sy

>
>Send it back, they will give you a new one. What do you want your dive light to do for you? What kind of diving do you do?

Brent

i was in your same position a few days ago. i bought a 7 led light OMS light which wasnt very bright i ended up returning and getting myself a UK SL4 which was a little over $21. its a great little light that produces a nice bright sharp beam.

I bought a SL4 e-LED (I think, slightly over 50$, like 54$ I believe) and am very very satisfied with it. The LED beam does a decent job during the day, and at night, in Roatan, it was almost too bright...:14: The LED bulbs will last a lot lot longer than the regulars, and batery life is extended. Not to mention the nice crisp white color of the light produced. if you're willing to spend a few extra $ than your 50$ budget, you probably won't regret going for the SL4 e-led.

Also, there might be other, less expensive, led models out there you might want to try, if you want to stick to your budget... I definetly believe the lED technology is the way to go... Unless you can afford the more expensive HID's and stuff of the sort...

Luego!

I have an Underwater Kinetics SL4 that I really like for peeking into nooks and crannies. It has an actual on/off switch too.

Since you're a Scubaboard member contact Scubatoys.com or Divesports.com or any of the other dealers that hang out here on the board and see about a discount :)
Ber :lilbunny:

If you want something a bit bigger, I use an SL6 that I really like as a primary light and as something for nooks, crannies, and wrecks. I think these can be had for $30-40. Same light as the SL4, just longer and brighter

I'm very fortunate... I've never had to buy a dive light in 45 years. I just find them (and knives and weights and...) at the various sites I dive around Catalina. They're all "under $50." Still looking for a set of doubles with manifold.

Seriously, I find the UK lights that I find to be very good.

I recommend going with Princetion Tec, Miniwave LED. It is more than your budget, $64, but it can be your primary light. UK is also good choice, but in the size, price, and performance wise, PT Miniwave LED is hard to beat....

Scubatoys and DiveSports will match the LP price, too.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom