Recommendation - Fins For Size 15 Shoe (us)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_dodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I good friend of mine has decided to finally take the plunge and is getting his open water certification.

He's a tall guy and wears a size 15 or 14-wide on the US shoe scale. He asked me for fin recommendations but, honestly I don't know what to tell him. I wear a size 11 so I don't have time finding fins for myself. From the size charts for most manufactures (Scuba Pro, Cressi, Mares) it seems like they stop at size 13 in their XL fins and don't offer an XXL.

Does anyone else out there wear a size 15 and can you recommend a fin? He's looking for warm water recreational fins preferably with spring or bungee strap.

Thanks!

A big question is what boots he'll be wearing; thickness of boot, and boot sole. I'm a size 15 EE, and I can wear Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water split fins okay with SeaSoft Sunray 3 mm boots (fairly thick sole), though I wish my foot went in a bit farther, and they are too tight and get painful if I wear SeaSoft Stealth 6 mm boots (fairly thick sole) for cold water diving.

Here's a thread on big foot fin options. I still haven't decided what to buy. I can tell you that Jet Fins and Turtle Fins may well be heavily than your friend wants. OMS Slipstreams and I've learned from Rich Holladay at Waterdog Scuba in Clarksville, TN, the Apeks RK3 fins might be an alternative.

You may see on other threads some drysuit divers like heavy fins. Your buddy aims for warm water diving.

Richard.

Hi everyone,

I good friend of mine has decided to finally take the plunge and is getting his open water certification.

He's a tall guy and wears a size 15 or 14-wide on the US shoe scale. He asked me for fin recommendations but, honestly I don't know what to tell him. I wear a size 11 so I don't have time finding fins for myself. From the size charts for most manufactures (Scuba Pro, Cressi, Mares) it seems like they stop at size 13 in their XL fins and don't offer an XXL.

Does anyone else out there wear a size 15 and can you recommend a fin? He's looking for warm water recreational fins preferably with spring or bungee strap.

Thanks!
I just went through a not-dissimilar search for a warm water fin replacement (for Apollo BioFins size LL). In comparison to the OP, my feet are a 'dainty' 13. I have a set of Hollis F2's on the way in size "L", and hoping they will fit with just a neoprene bootie.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

If he would consider a closed heel freedive fin (a popular choice for many accomplished scuba divers), please have him check out my fins. We have a very large footpocket made for his size. It is expensive to accommodate a large range of sizes. but I wanted to offer fins and footpockets that will fit women and children on up to the big guys.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MCFF-2T.jpg

A big question is what boots he'll be wearing; thickness of boot, and boot sole. I'm a size 15 EE, and I can wear Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water split fins okay with SeaSoft Sunray 3 mm boots (fairly thick sole), though I wish my foot went in a bit farther, and they are too tight and get painful if I wear SeaSoft Stealth 6 mm boots (fairly thick sole) for cold water diving.

Here's a thread on big foot fin options. I still haven't decided what to buy. I can tell you that Jet Fins and Turtle Fins may well be heavily than your friend wants. OMS Slipstreams and I've learned from Rich Holladay at Waterdog Scuba in Clarksville, TN, the Apeks RK3 fins might be an alternative.

You may see on other threads some drysuit divers like heavy fins. Your buddy aims for warm water diving.

Richard.

Hey Richard, thanks for the reply. You're right the boots are going to matter. I'm pretty sure he picked up a pair of Henderson Aqua Locks. They're 5mm and something of a solid sole but they're not a chunky as the Sunrays you have.

You're also spot on that he wants to avoid those huge and heavy fins like the XS Turtles, SP Jet Fins, and Hollis F1's. Being a new diver they'll probably be too much for him and I don't see drysuit diving in his immediate future. I think he's going to try the Sherwood Fusions. They claim to support up to a size 15 shoe. I'll update after his boots come in.

Per your link can be had for about $45 and include the spring straps. Hard to see that not being worth a try. Let us know how they work out.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom