Recommend Fins For Frogkicking? Going To Drysuit And Larger Fin Pocket.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkonmars

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

Anyone have an opinion about fins best suited for frogkicking?
I currently use Mares superchannel (size regular) and old Mares power plana fins.
I kick frog style almost 90% of the time since I feel it is more efficient (opinion, only) and reduces cramping in my legs.
I'm going to dive with a drysuit more often, now and need new fins because the pockets in the current fins are too small. I'm using the smallest shoe I could find to fit the neoprene sock and still stuff into the current fin pockets (Converse All stars in three sizes above what I normally wear on the street.). The toes bump into the end of the foot pocket so I'm 1 inch short of snugly fitting into the fin pocket. My next idea was to just cut the toes off the shoes with a bandsaw (Take that, stupid shoes!). There will be a hole in the tip but it is inside the foot pocket anyway. Thanks

Depending on how your trim is, i.e.wether you need heavy or neutral fins, there is a long list of "preferred" fins for frog kick and most other kicks.

Scuba pro jets
OMS slipstreams
Diverite XT
Hollis F1 and F2
UTD,HOG tech fins
et al.

Jets is a good all around fin

as much as I hate to say it, for cold water drysuit diving in backmount the Hollis F1's are about as good as it gets. You want heavy fins for drysuit diving especially in backmount so the fins like the OMS Slipstreams, Dive Rite XT, Hog Tech, and a slew of others that are neutral aren't ideal. Scubapro Jet Fins or Hollis F1's are the best out there. F1's have a bit more thrust since they're stiffer, but the Jet Fins are certainly the standard.

My jets are stiffer than my f1 fins, f1 got more comfortable foot pocket , but definitely dont have more thrust

There are plenty of good fins for frog kicking. Depending on your trim you may want a heavier or lighter fin. There is also personal comfort to consider, which foot pocket fits you, and the comfort whole kicking. I alternate between Jets, F1s, and Slipstreams depending on my configuration.

Dive Rite XT fins. They are much lighter than jet fins but stiff enough to give you thrust.
Lighter fins (unlike jet fins) will not drag your fit down when you stop swimming. Typically one likes to use the frog kick to keep feet off the bottom. In a dry suit, it's easier. When diving wet, a heavy fin makes it a bit more challenging.

as much as I hate to say it, for cold water drysuit diving in backmount the Hollis F1's are about as good as it gets. You want heavy fins for drysuit diving especially in backmount so the fins like the OMS Slipstreams, Dive Rite XT, Hog Tech, and a slew of others that are neutral aren't ideal. Scubapro Jet Fins or Hollis F1's are the best out there. F1's have a bit more thrust since they're stiffer, but the Jet Fins are certainly the standard.
I was lucky with jetfins, i bought two different sets of springs, long for drysuit, shorter for wetsuit and the footpocket fitted both. Thats a seac converse type boot in a whites drysuit sock.

Hmmm. I guess I won't feel bad having a third set of fins. I have twenty year old Mares Power Plana carbons and three year old Mares Superchannels. They are both negative but not tremendously so. I would consider a heavy fin since I am a bit foot buoyant in a drysuit but think I should modify trim by moving weight around. I feel like I should put two pounds at the bottom rear of the crotch strap and remove two from the belt. I'll be trolling for extra large fins but a model that does not increase the blade size when going from regular to extra large. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom