Recommend dive shop for cert? (Bay Area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amen brother! I know exactly what you mean. Totally different atmosphere over at Monterey Bay Dive Company.

Just a quick note but when you're certified, avoid MBDC like the plague when you're diving in Monterey unless you have no choice. Last time I was there, it took 2 hours to get a nitrox fill and me and my dive buddy were the only customers in the store waiting for fills. Any shop that cares that little about its' customers deserve to have none. I'd recommend Aquarius for fills, equipment, service, etc. if you're in the Monterey area. I'm told Bamboo Reef is good too but the parking may be a hassle.

Just a quick note but when you're certified, avoid MBDC like the plague when you're diving in Monterey unless you have no choice.

Oy. I've been lurking for a while, but I wanted to toss out my two cents here -- I had a great experience at MBDC where they basically saved my weekend a few weeks ago (somehow my inflator/2nd stage combo got unscrewed from the hose without me noticing it the night before, only noticed when I got to the beach... I feel pretty dumb about that, and I still have no idea how it happened; anyway!); they were able to quickly get me set up with a replacement and on my way. So, I'd say it's at least worth stopping in and decide for yourself :)

I'll echo what others have said about Paul Miller though; had a great time with him, and would definitely take a class with him again.

I've had nothing but good experiences at MBDC. They are great people. Sometimes they get a little busy but they've done a great job handling it every time I've been in there.

Back
Top Bottom