Recommend dive shop for cert? (Bay Area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motoxmann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everybody! My girlfriend and I just spent the weekend in Monterey, and now we're thinking about getting certified for diving. Its something I've always wanted to do, and she seems to be really interested now too.

We're in San Jose, and were wondering if anyone could recommend any local shops that would be good places to take an OW cert class. I looked online and there's several in the area (Diver Dans, Stans, Any Water Sports). Anyone have any experience with these places, or any others they could suggest? Thanks!

Andy

Andy,

I got certified through Diver Dan's with Paul Miller. I highly recommend him as an instructor. As far as some of the staff goes, it's a hit or miss. I can definitely recommend Jonathan--he won't steer you and your girlfriend wrong and will blatantly tell you that you won't need certain things instead of selling you something that doesn't fit you.

Some folks that I've taken classes with prefer the sales staff at Anywater Sports. I don't know of anyone that's gotten certified from there though.

matt

Got my OW and AOW at Diver Dan's. Only had good experiences with them; you'll notice the snobbish feeling at first but don't mind them, they are actually helpful. If you're ready to buy your equipment make sure to get the package deal to get the discount.

They have excellent and very nice instructors, you'll have fun for sure. Good luck and update us with your progress.

Thanks for the responses! I was kind of leaning towards Diver Dans because I've heard good things. This just confirms it! I guess we'll head in there next week and talk to them. Thanks again, and I'll definitely update with our progress!

I got my AOW, Rescue and doing my Dive Master with Diver Dans and I love the instructors there. Paul is great but check out Ryan Romero as well. He has an OW class coming up in the next couple of weeks.

... you'll notice the snobbish feeling at first but don't mind them, they are actually helpful...

I dont know about you or anyone else, however if I am a customer it shouldn't matter how much or how little I have spent, but that should not be the attitude I have to endure. PERIOD.

If you must go to Diver Dans, only deal with Rich or Dan himself, otherwise I wish you luck. Paul Miller is an awesome instructor there, I highly recommend him if you go to Dans.

In my opinion from personal experience (got my O/W there, and AOW) I have decided that not only do I deserve to be treated respectfully as any customer should, I did not need to deal with the "snobbish feeling" from employees there. Since then I go elsewhere.

In my opinion from personal experience (got my O/W there, and AOW) I have decided that not only do I deserve to be treated respectfully as any customer should, I did not need to deal with the "snobbish feeling" from employees there. Since then I go elsewhere.

Luckily, we have a lot of dive shops around the bay area and Monterey to choose from. I feel for the people in areas less densely diver populated.

FWIW, I've *never* gotten a snobby feeling from AWS, though Frank does love to talk your ear off :D

I dont know about you or anyone else, however if I am a customer it shouldn't matter how much or how little I have spent, but that should not be the attitude I have to endure. PERIOD.

If you must go to Diver Dans, only deal with Rich or Dan himself, otherwise I wish you luck. Paul Miller is an awesome instructor there, I highly recommend him if you go to Dans.

Amen brother! I know exactly what you mean. Totally different atmosphere over at Monterey Bay Dive Company.

We got our certification a couple of years ago but the main thing we did was to visit several shops in our area and see first hand which one we liked the best. We chose California Dive Center in San Bruno, but sadly, they are no longer around.
Good Luck with your search!

Motox - Let us know how it goes and we will look forward to diving with you too hopefully in the near future!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom