Rechargeable Battery Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since it's bad to let rechargeable batteries completely deplete, how often do you maintain your rechargeable batteries?

I'm currently going through all my flashlight/torch batteries now and making sure I have them all fully charged.

Similarly, I have a Nautilus Lifeline that I'm charging. It had gone down to 50%.

Batteries seem to be one of those scuba-related items that need much more constant maintenance.

MY understanding is that different types of batteries require different maintenance strategies.
For example, on my laptop, Li-Ion batteries are used; for maximum life, it is recommended to never charge them to 100%, just 80% max, and never leave them deplete under 25%.
The laptop has a special "battery preserving" profile which ensure to never exceed those limits.
But, as said, there are many other types of batteries. Some of them, instead, NEED to be fully charged, and possibly left under "trickle charge" indefinitely. For example, old lead cells are so...

I have one of those lead cell batteries, bought initially to jump my car. I got one use out of it, before it became a giant, heavy brick. I didn't know that I had to charge it monthly, thinking it's such a huge battery, it wouldn't need much maintenance. I have a lithium ion battery pack coming soon, which does the same, will jump a car. It's like a portable power charger. Battery tech has improved incredibly, in my eyes!

I just finished going through all my lithium ion flashlight/torch batteries. After a year of non-used, they varied from 60-80% charge left. That's pretty impressive.

I check my light and computer batteries every 2 months or so and give them a topup charge if needed to 3.7V or 50%.

I remember the advise used to be deplete to 80% charge then store batteries in the fridge...batteries now are better and cheaper, thank goodness!

For the most part, canister light batteries now have so much extra capacity that even in 10 years they should still be fine. My strobe batteries are nimh, and I store them without re-charging, then charge night before a dive. They are 10 years old and for the most part, still working ok, but they are getting long in the tooth. With the nimh, I would top them off if I didn't use them for more than 3 months. For the lithium canister lights, I would charge if I didn't use them for 6 months.

My computer and rebreather batteries are disposable lithium that I toss based on hours of usage. I re-use them in my home door lock because I take them out of service with life remaining.

The only batteries where I notice any degradation are my handheld primary 18650 cells. After 1.5 years I just bought newer higher capacity cells to eek out another few minutes of burn time and keep the old cells, which are still functioning at 90% of new capacity or more, for backups or days where I need more dives but can't recharge in between.

The only batteries to be careful with are disposable alkaline, like in your backup lights or computers. Those leak and destroy stuff. Lithiums are way better, more expensive, but how expensive is replacing your light because battery acid destroyed it?

Outside of scuba, my car lithium pack I recharge about every 3-6 months, when it drops to mid 90's on charge. It still jumps my v6 engine at 90% but it's a good time to inspect. Those are stored in high heat and I think every 3 years I would replace them. Motorcycle battery gets completely flat if I don't drive for more than 1 week, so I leave it on a maintainer.

Regarding my Sola 2000 dive light, some people had issues with other Sola lights not charging after not being used for many months, and the manufacturer suggested that they need to be charged at least every 2 months.

Regarding my xDeep Black computer, the manufacturer had written that it should be charged at least every 2 months and should never be allowed to go to 0%.

Just to be safe, through the winter and when I'm not diving, I charge both of them plus the 18650 cell from my DiveRite CX50 at least every 2 months. I try not to overcharge and take them off when they show that they're charged. I have no idea if it's necessary, but the 2 months seemed to be a trend, so I keep them on the same schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom