Recession on the diving market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been discussing the scuba industry controls on retailers for a long, long time. The problem is, very few dealers are in the economic position to stand up and say "enough". When I have done it in the past, it cost me dearly. I have even been talking about this issue on my blog. Check out this post and the one that follows it a few days later. There will be more to come. Thanks.

Over-Reaching MAP Price Policies in Scuba

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Recession? Maybe. Weak dollar for sure. Gas for driving to the boat is up. Fuel prices are up, so the $50 boat trip is now $60. Most gear is imported, so that cost, if not up, will soon be. I don't anticipate diving less, just staying closer to home. And, another year with the same gear.

There are places where diving is chump change for people. A dealer-operator in affluent Palm Beach County, FL, may have less to worry about than most. Those folks will keep the sport going, to some extent, regardless.

Don't know where you fish/dive, but here in SW La. I use an average of 125+ gallons of fuel per trip offshore....try more than 10 bucks extra......

You know, I wonder if an economic slowdown will sort of perversely favor the shops that cater to tech divers . . . Even in economic hard times, the people with high disposable income rarely get badly hurt, and those are the people who are buying multiple sets of doubles, high end scooters, helium fills, and tech diving trips. It's the entry-level "I want to go to Hawaii" OW diver who might decide to put things off for a year or two, until times improve.

eat out less often...
don't purchase impulse junk...
scale back that cable/satellite program...
if possible kill or scale back the other computer/digital/phone stuff...
...continue to dive as much as ever...relatively painless!!!

I agree with you, to an extent. Stores that have a small, but very active, dive group tend to do better. However, the impact of a longer (or deeper) economic slowdown will hurt all of scuba, no matter who your customers are.

I have several customers who have PLENTY of money to spend. There is no way an economic slowdown is going to have any short-term impact on them. Two have delayed significant scuba purchases because they "feel" the impact of the stock market woes on their "retirement" plans. The thing is...these guys are in their 40's and a long way from retirement. Oh well.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

You know, I wonder if an economic slowdown will sort of perversely favor the shops that cater to tech divers . . . Even in economic hard times, the people with high disposable income rarely get badly hurt, and those are the people who are buying multiple sets of doubles, high end scooters, helium fills, and tech diving trips. It's the entry-level "I want to go to Hawaii" OW diver who might decide to put things off for a year or two, until times improve.

Its seems to me there are many LDS in a very marginal state due to growth of the internet supply chain over the last few years. Some are dead, but the owners just don't realize it yet. I suspect that most of these shops will die this year if the recession continues. The shops that have already adapted and can ride out the downturn will reap the bennefits next year when we spring back.

For dive nuts, we will continue to dive. Personally, it will be shore dives and I will make do with the gear I have instead of always dreaming about the next purchase. In the end, I will have just as much fun and probably end up a better diver since I have to make due and develop skills rather than relying on the latest and greatest gizmo.

My rebate check (along with a portion of my *refund* check) are going into a new harness, wing, and a week at the Nassau Wyndham and Stuart Coves in the Bahamamamamamas!

That depends where you were located. Some areas never really recovered. Right Phil?

Anyway, time to think positive. How many of you divers are going to spend that government $600 or $1200 check coming up on..... DIVING!

It would be nice if the government $600 cheque came to everyone who actually pays into the system.:( But then again, I guess that means I'm rich and shouldn't have to worry about it anyway, right? :popcorn:

In one of the Oahu papers yesterday, the news was an increase in bookings from the East Coast; supposedly financially secure travelers who don't want to take a beating with bad exchange rates. In the short run Hawaii looks OK, but air tickets could make a difference soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom