Recently back from Cozumel 'aka' the 'Hiroshima of the Caribbean' !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not finished

jepuskar:
... good majority of you can relax a little and quit with the boring pro-Cozumel campaign going on. Anyone can find good spots of a reef to take photos on and post them here. All politics...if you didnt have a love of Coz or a business interest then you wouldn't give a crap what was said about the island! period!!!

I'll quit when you do. Of course we're pro-Cozumel, this is a Cozumel forum. Or didn't you notice?

Ofcourse I noticed....it should also be a place for people to post negative things and not get ripped to shreds for their point of view.

jepuskar:
Ofcourse I noticed....it should also be a place for people to post negative things and not get ripped to shreds for their point of view.

I think you are completely right, people should post their experiences or impressions honestly on the Board without fear of being attacked, as long as it's reasonable. While I find the negative posts on Coz reasonable, that was their experience, I do not find it accurate, according to my experience, or by a preponderance of other posters on the Board.

Well, I guess it's time for someone else to make a post apocalyptic survey of the damage. In the interest of all concerned, I nominate myself to go down next week and see the destruction first hand. :D

I have a camera lined up and I will do my best to get pics representative of the good, bad, and ugly.

just remember, a bad day of diving is far better that the best day at work!

jepuskar:

If you are suggesting that people should be able to post negative things without rebuttal, then I'm going to have to disagree with you, but "ripped to shreds"? What are you talking about? I have never posted anything remotely resembling an attack on you, and I haven't seen anyone else doing it, either. I have posted my opinion that some folks are trolling the forum, and I never referred specifically to you, but if the shoe fits...

As a matter of fact, your attempts to invalidate the points of view of anyone that disagrees with you through statements to the effect that we all must be financially connected to Cozumel (or whatever) are much more in "attack" mode (IMO) than anything that was ever said to you.

scubafanatic,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We dove in Coz in February during a cruise ship port visit. We've been in Coz many times, so we've seen it Pre-Wilma. We dove with Dive House, and lucked out. There was 6 of us that got on their big boat (@38 footer?), waiting for taxis to bring more people (the 6 of us were in the first taxi) and the boat pulled out of its slip! The other 20 divers were crammed onto the smaller boat, and we enjoyed all the room you would ever need. The crew was very professional, and the DM tried to make sure that we got as much bottom time as the plan, and our SAC, would allow. First dive - when a diver got to 700psi, he and buddy had to do safety stop and surface. Second dive - one hour, or when first diver got to 700, everyone had to surface. You better believe I was "sipping" air on that dive!! Heck of a way to get you to practice breathing control!

While we did feel that the soft coral damage was notable, the hard corals looked to be in decent shape, and the fish life was abundant. At the end of our 2nd dive ( and our 8th dive during the trip), we saw a school (?) of 7 spotted eagle rays. Both dives were very nice, with lots to see. I don't know if he was trying to avoid the other dive boats, or if the captain had his favorite spots, but we were not clustered with a lot of boats at either spot. We also saw a lot more "stuff" than the folks on the other Dive House boat. Excuse my photos; it was my first time taking underwater photos with my digital.

All-in-all, I would say that Cozumel is still worth the trip, and we're planning a land-based trip for June. Right now, we're trying to decide between Scuba Club Cozumel, or staying at a hotel and diving with Blue XT~Sea.

It is too bad that some have had such a horrible diving experience at Cozumel post Wilma. I flew into Coz on the first weekend AA was flying there after Wilma, and was worried what the trip might hold. On arriving, I found a battered but rapidly recovering and actively repairing island. Our pool at Caribe Blu was not functional, but who needs a pool when you have the ocean? There were a few issues with getting to/from boats, but all handled very well. I found the reefs a bit battered, especially in shallower depths, but as was my first time to Cozumel I had nothing to compare it with but previous dives in Belize, and around Cancun. My dad, who has been diving in Coz since '72, noted that all the soft swaying stuff was missing above 40'-50', so was a little dissappointed, especially as 30'-70' is his fav diving. But he was impressed with how quickly the soft stuff was trying to come back. I will be returning as quickly as possible to compare and contrast the recovery process.

As far as the 'cozumel sucks now, I'll never go back' group goes, I figure they are just 'glass half empty' kind of people. And I would just as soon not have to deal with them on a Coz vacation anyway, so good riddance if that is the way they feel.

Or maybe they are just trying to scare others off so can have sites to themselves again. I did notice that by end of trip, the reefs were occasionally getting crowded, sometimes had to watch for traffic jams at the swim thru's. :D

sharky60:
well, actually this is the first time I've been on the computer in 2 or 3 days. that might be the reason.

now a responce: 1. I did not call you a toll, I only agreed with Gordon that the constant banter on whether Cozumel has been totally distoryed and not worth going to anymore is getting old and feeding the fire is simply a waste of time.
Sharky60 I am sorry!!! I apologize to you personally. You did answer my PM's I was not "trying" to harass you-"Christi" we have met and I am sorry If I offened you also, We all have our own opinons and mine were based on those before you ever left TX and moved to Coz. I will try my hardest to stay off the Coz site on this board.Christi sorry about Charlie hope "Boo" Sharon is Ok. Hope all things will go good for you. Good Bye domino22

domino22:
Sharky60 I am sorry!!! I apologize to you personally. You did answer my PM's I was not "trying" to harass you-"Christi" we have met and I am sorry If I offened you also, We all have our own opinons and mine were based on those before you ever left TX and moved to Coz. I will try my hardest to stay off the Coz site on this board.Christi sorry about Charlie hope "Boo" Sharon is Ok. Hope all things will go good for you. Good Bye domino22

Who are Charlie and Sharon?

You didn't offend me, I just don't agree with you...yes, we all have our own opinions. I didn't make any attacks on you...just disagreed with you.

Not sure what relevance there is to you forming your opinions about Cozumel before I moved here. Based on your very own posts and statements, February 2004 was the first time you had been here in 20 years.

Sorry if you feel I attacked you.

Back
Top Bottom