Recently back from Cozumel 'aka' the 'Hiroshima of the Caribbean' !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Jimmy! (domino 22)

....so, I see you also just dove 'Hiroshima of the Caribbean' ....... Karen (Nurseshark) and I blew a weekend there this past Valentine's Day, and your experiences mirrored ours. Cozumel has been devastated underwater...........the reefs stripped/scoured clean of sponges/fans, then buried under an infinity of smothering white sand.......fish life essentially nonexistant too, saw a couple of hand fulls of small fish sheltering from the raging currents amid a few barren outcroppings of boulders just high enough off the bottom to avoid a sandy burial.

We did 7 dives over 2 days ( we'd planned 10 dives over 3 days, but our last day got blown out by El Norte ) and for the first time in my life on a dive trip, I was relieved the diving was mercifully cut short.......actually I wanted to come home midway through dive # 5, which was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as I was concerned, and only continued to dive so as to not abandon my dive buddy and to absorb as much info on the true situation in Cozumel while I was there as possible, since I'd already spent the money to be there anyway....... I'd have liked to complete my recon of Cozumel at least............however, thanks to El Norte my 'mission' was cut short.

I won't detail my Cozumel experience here right now, other than to say that Emerald Dolphin Dive Services was the WORST dive operator I've ever experienced, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy ! The boat was fine, the tanks were full and the Nitrox mixes were correct/appropriate, the DM/crew operated safely.. (to the point of paranoia) ......but the DM severely restricted our dive times ( 700 psi/45 min 'rules') and I've never been with an operator so obcessed/fanatical about terminating dives early....moreover, he did guided tours over the 'best' of Cozumel's desert wastelands, on dive # 5, as we decended to 70 ft to begin what might have been a half-way promising wall dive, he deliberately immediately pulled us off the wall, swam us head first into a current while swimming 180 degrees away from the wall, we spent the next 40 min skimming the bottom at 50 ft. deep staring as an endless underwater sandy plain until he ran us out of air......... downright criminal ! (this was the dive where I threw in the towel and was ready to return home immediately !

...anyone who know me knows how much I enjoy diving, so if we're in a situation where I'm upset and ready to stop diving, something is VERY seriously wrong !

....I've heard some say there is something left of Cozumel underwater, if you're willing to go deep and to some of the remote sites...........however, most dive ops use AL80's, which will significantly restrict bottom times at depth, so if you want to take a gamble on Cozumel, you should avoid the typical cattleboat/AL80's style operators and go with the experienced diver/ bigger tanks operators who are happy to do the deeper/remote sites........ I've done 2 trips with Liquid Blue Divers (HP steel 100's/120's) with good results, although this was before the 2 hurricanes hit last year.

Honestly, I can't recommend Cozumel as a dive destination any longer....my latest trip was a complete waste of money, that's one reason I've got 3 Flower Gardens trips planned this summer, I think FG will have to fill in for Cozumel for my 'local' blue-water diving trips............ the devastation in Cozumel won't recover in my lifetime, we're looking at decades at least, maybe centuries, and we're not counting the ongoing impact of global-warming on the reef systems either....given the background stresses already on the reefs, last year's hurricanes may have pushed Cozumel into irreversible ecosystem collapse.

Karl

P.S. ...Jimmy, there certainly is quite a contrast between Cozumel now and the Sea-of-Cortez / DON JOSE trip we did together last Nov, isn't it ? like night and day!

Karl, (Scubafanatic),

I find your report pretty damn negative considering the reports from everyone else here. Everyone has their own opinion and I don't know why yours has to be worse than the other one here that caused such a mess.

I've never heard of Emerald Dolphin Dive Services and I read this forum every day and have for a couple of years. So why did you choose them? With all of the highly rated dive ops on this board why would you dive with a 45 minute max dive op that "purposefully ran you out of air?

You also had nothing positive to say about the island itself. And about the regular tank sizes, (aluminum 80's) wasn't it you choice to use them? Why didn't you just dive with Liquid Blue if you wanted them? I have no problem getting my hour + dive in using an aluminum 80.

I hate such negative feedback about a beautiful place like Cozumel overall. If you don't like what you saw, have a little more compassion in describing what you saw and find something positive to say to balance your report. Everyone else here said fish life is better than ever.

I just don't believe half of what you say after reading what everyone else said. I'll find out for myself in 14 days and good riddens to you if your vacation was ruined.

I hope you enjoy your future diving somewhere else. These kinds of reports burn me up even in a place where there was damage.

Matt

I'm very curious as to what sites you dove.

Perhaps the problem was that you didn't get to some of the more southern or northern sites and as you said, the divemaster kept you over the "desert." Even before the hurricane, there were many areas that had big sand dunes and beach like sections under the water. I actually like them! Some of these areas are in fact uncovered now so they appear to be "covered" with sand deposit.

What some people are mistaking for bleaching and/or sand covered areas are actually areas that USED to be buried in sand and are now exposed. This is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing and will generate more life. Some of the larger formations appear to be bleached at the base, anywhere from a few feet worth to 10 or 20 feet...this again is where sand was burying the reef for who knows how many years...and is now exposed...again a GOOD thing. This is not damage, this is "new" reef exposed which will generate life.

When I read these types of reports claiming total devastation, I have to believe it's something to do with the divemaster and where they are taking their divers and how they are profiling the dives...OR...diver attitude...because we just aren't experiencing the sames things you describe.

As far as bottom times go, again, that depends on the diver and their air maangement. We routinely get 60 minutes + even on 100 foot dives...this is easy to do if you have decent air management and profile the dive correctly...and of course nitrox helps for the NDL's, which are the same whether using a steel 120 or an AL 80.

Did you reserch the shop before you selected them? By reading customer reviews, you may have found that they weren't a good match for you. It's pretty clear to me that they cater to families and newer divers rather than those wanting extended range diving. This isn't a bad thing, just not for everyone. A quick Google search gave me these and more:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2976
http://www.cozumel-diving.net/edds/comments.htm
http://community.iexplore.com/planning/journalEntryActivity.asp?JournalID=26723&EntryID=32625
http://www.scubaboard.com/archive/index.php/t-84503.html
http://www.undercurrent.org/subscribers/UCnow/RRpt.php?ukeyg=040217154626868

Yes, there is damage. I am not denying that, nor have I ever. But to claim total devastation is a gross exaggeration simply stated. There are some areas that are much worse than others, but the vast majority is still very divable and very enjoyable and still much better than anywhere I've dove elsewhere. There have been some glowing reports and then some very fair objective reports, even if not gleaming with all positives. MMM, ggunn, and roosters reports come to mind as fair objective reports. Your's has nothing positive to say and in my very first hand opinion, is grossly exaggerated and unfair.

You say there are no sponges, seafans, etc. and that there is no fish life. Many, many reports say differently, even the ones that aren't full of fluff. And these pictures prove that there are still fans and sponges and soft coral. I've been focusing my photography lately on the reefs rather than marine life, but I'll change that on my next outing with my camera.

Santa Rosa - 65 feet
A_familiar_Santa_Rosa_site_still_there1.jpg

Maracaibo Shallows - 70 feet - February 2006
More_Halthy_Reef_small.jpg

Palancar Gardens - 60 feet - February 2006
Very_Healthy_Reef_small.jpg

Tormentos - 50 feet - March 2006
30408_1142996379_Yellow%20Thorns.jpg

Santa Rosa - 70 feet - March 2006
30408_1142995795_Healthy%20coral.jpg

And in fairness and objectivity...some not so pretty pictures...

Tormentos - 50 feet - March 2006 (Destroyed finger coral)
30408_1142996379_Damaged%20Finger%20Coral.jpg

Santa Rosa - 70 feet - March 2006 - Sand deposits
30408_1142995795_Sand%20on%20the%20reef.jpg

Santa Rosa - 60 feet - Sand deposits - Photo courtesy of Greg Avila
Santa_Rosa_-_60_feet.jpg

Santa Rosa - 80 feet - Sand on the reef
Santa_Rosa_Wall_2.jpg

I think this is a fair representation.

Wow, another scathing "review" of Cozumel. And wow, he's a friend of domino22. What a coincidence.

I could be wrong, ladies and gents, but it really looks to me like we are being trolled. I humbly suggest that we leave this one alone.

I'm sorry, but from the looks of the pics I've seen (courtesy of Christi and others) this is far from total devistation. I'm sure there are areas worse than others, but to say Cozumel is ruined and will never recover is total crap.

I am going to call BS on scubafanatic's post. I was in Cozumel the first part of March and I am going back the end of April. If you are a Cozumel regular you may notice some damage to the shallower reefs. Overall diving conditions are as good or better than before. I personally think there is more wildlife on the reefs.

This guy is a troll, or his op took him to the worst sites. He's full of it either way. There is a lot less than total devastation of Coz.

We had one dive where the current switched mid-stream (Las Palmas) and blew us away from the wall. We spent the whole dive drifting from small coral head to small coral head over a desert. It wasn't that great...we didn't think much of it. If the op had taken us on dives like that every time, we would have been unimpressed.

But, hey, it's the ocean and currents change. Columbia, Palancar, etc all had amazing structure. The wall and swimthroughs were incredible and didn't show much in the way of broken coral or devastation. The shallower 2nd dives up on top of the wall were teeming with life. When you don't know whether to look at the eagle ray on the left or the nurse shark on the right, you know it's a critterful dive :wink:

Anyway, the guy is trolling, or bitter because he went with a bad op. There's plenty left in Coz.

I can understand the disagreement that is surfacing here but the accusations would appear to be unfounded. Looking at Scubafanatic's profile and membership history, I see no reason to doubt his report.

Clearly he had an unfortunate experience in Cozumel that does not seem typical of most other members experience since Wilms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom