Recently back from Cozumel 'aka' the 'Hiroshima of the Caribbean' !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi -

Nice pics ! After the hurricane were all the reefs covered in sand and the currents just cleaned up some better then others? Or did some of the reefs have no damage/sand at all due to their depth?

awap:
I can understand the disagreement that is surfacing here but the accusations would appear to be unfounded. Looking at Scubafanatic's profile and membership history, I see no reason to doubt his report.

Clearly he had an unfortunate experience in Cozumel that does not seem typical of most other members experience since Wilms.

Standby for thread lockdown in five...four...three... ;^)

ggunn:
Standby for thread lockdown in five...four...three... ;^)

I hope not. Lots of family members will bicker on occasion.

I don't think this poster is a troll, nor is this post, yet, but I do have to say, you seem not to have dove the Cozumel I just dove a month ago. I dove Coz pre Wilma and one dive post Wilma and I did not see TOTAL DEVASTATION, not even close. Some damage? Sure. Nothing like you describe though. I'm going to venture a guess that what compounded everything negitively for you was the dive op you picked?

You are very much entitled to your opinion, perception, etc but I have to tell you, that was NOT my experience.

scubafanatic:
Hello Jimmy! (domino 22)

....so, I see you also just dove 'Hiroshima of the Caribbean' ....... Karen (Nurseshark) and I blew a weekend there this past Valentine's Day, and your experiences mirrored ours. Cozumel has been devastated underwater...........the reefs stripped/scoured clean of sponges/fans, then buried under an infinity of smothering white sand.......fish life essentially nonexistant too, saw a couple of hand fulls of small fish sheltering from the raging currents amid a few barren outcroppings of boulders just high enough off the bottom to avoid a sandy burial.

We did 7 dives over 2 days ( we'd planned 10 dives over 3 days, but our last day got blown out by El Norte ) and for the first time in my life on a dive trip, I was relieved the diving was mercifully cut short.......actually I wanted to come home midway through dive # 5, which was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as I was concerned, and only continued to dive so as to not abandon my dive buddy and to absorb as much info on the true situation in Cozumel while I was there as possible, since I'd already spent the money to be there anyway....... I'd have liked to complete my recon of Cozumel at least............however, thanks to El Norte my 'mission' was cut short.

I won't detail my Cozumel experience here right now, other than to say that Emerald Dolphin Dive Services was the WORST dive operator I've ever experienced, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy ! The boat was fine, the tanks were full and the Nitrox mixes were correct/appropriate, the DM/crew operated safely.. (to the point of paranoia) ......but the DM severely restricted our dive times ( 700 psi/45 min 'rules') and I've never been with an operator so obcessed/fanatical about terminating dives early....moreover, he did guided tours over the 'best' of Cozumel's desert wastelands, on dive # 5, as we decended to 70 ft to begin what might have been a half-way promising wall dive, he deliberately immediately pulled us off the wall, swam us head first into a current while swimming 180 degrees away from the wall, we spent the next 40 min skimming the bottom at 50 ft. deep staring as an endless underwater sandy plain until he ran us out of air......... downright criminal ! (this was the dive where I threw in the towel and was ready to return home immediately !

...anyone who know me knows how much I enjoy diving, so if we're in a situation where I'm upset and ready to stop diving, something is VERY seriously wrong !

....I've heard some say there is something left of Cozumel underwater, if you're willing to go deep and to some of the remote sites...........however, most dive ops use AL80's, which will significantly restrict bottom times at depth, so if you want to take a gamble on Cozumel, you should avoid the typical cattleboat/AL80's style operators and go with the experienced diver/ bigger tanks operators who are happy to do the deeper/remote sites........ I've done 2 trips with Liquid Blue Divers (HP steel 100's/120's) with good results, although this was before the 2 hurricanes hit last year.

Honestly, I can't recommend Cozumel as a dive destination any longer....my latest trip was a complete waste of money, that's one reason I've got 3 Flower Gardens trips planned this summer, I think FG will have to fill in for Cozumel for my 'local' blue-water diving trips............ the devastation in Cozumel won't recover in my lifetime, we're looking at decades at least, maybe centuries, and we're not counting the ongoing impact of global-warming on the reef systems either....given the background stresses already on the reefs, last year's hurricanes may have pushed Cozumel into irreversible ecosystem collapse.

Karl

P.S. ...Jimmy, there certainly is quite a contrast between Cozumel now and the Sea-of-Cortez / DON JOSE trip we did together last Nov, isn't it ? like night and day!

Dove Coz in December and I would have to disagree with your "Total Devastation" assessment.
Sure there was soft coral damage but hardly devastating.
Did you actually dive Santa Rosa or Palancar??

This report is a joke, clearly not a comprehensive review of the diving conditions there to slam it like that....2 days of diving with an unheard of operation.

The other truth is that you just can't slam Cozumel on any board that I know of without pretty severe attacks in response. People just love the place too much and there are a lot of locals represented on various boards.

I think it's fine that people post their opinions, whatever they may be. But I personally think this report is a load.

Mark

Friendly comment...

In nearly any divorce you can watch as two reasonably rational people observe the precise same set of circumstances and draw two completely different conclusions regarding who did what to whom. Sometimes it depends on...agendas... :wink:

Sometimes people call'em like they see'em.

There need not be any thread lockdown or other bozonity if posters chill and avoid the dung-flinging that seems to accompany so many of these, um, discussions...

Thanks.

If you have in fact had such a bad experience in Cozumel, and are focusing in on flower garden banks, you may want to do a little research on the conditions there as well. I seem to recall a rather nasty hurricane in the gulf this past year.

I'm trying to figure out if the original poster has some hidden agenda. Ok, you had a bad week of diving for whatever the reason. But I get concerned why the orginal post focused so much on how bad Cozumel is now, how bad it will always be and the seemingly intent to disuade others from going. I have no axe to grind and I will be in Cozumel diving in two weeks. So, I will come back and post my objective observation. I will say, if the intent of the original post was to harm someone's business or hurt the businesses in the area, that would be disgusting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom