Recently back from Cozumel 'aka' the 'Hiroshima of the Caribbean' !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would have been much more credible had the poster actually included more details about the dives sites... like maybe which ones he dove?

These flaming Coz attackes, and the flaming responses are growing tiresome. I'm sure the mods would agree.

If you have some negative things to report, do so. But IMO if you just say things like the diving sucks and Coz is ruined no one is going to take it seriously.

I'm not sure I get behind a report based on someone who Baits the thread with a title that compares Coz to Hiroshima, or from someone who was there only two days.

The whole style of the thread was an attack on Coz, not done very well I might add, and presented in such a way that even if the original poster was not a troll, the post content could not have been more so.

I will not feed the trolls

Thank you Ron!!! Geez you people are too uptight!!!!

I was gonna paste in a sideways parrot fish, but decided that would be TOO tacky!! LOLOL

Ron has it exactly right re. generalized criticisms that have no value except for the venting poster. I returned from Cozumel one month ago, and had a wonderful time. Yes, some reefs were affected, some were as spectacular as ever. The critters seemed to handle Wilma pretty well, because I saw as many, or more, varieties and numbers as in the past. Even more turtles, in fact.

It would be useful, I think, for post-Wilma visitors to list the sites they liked the best--and the ones that were disappointments. Yes, some of the dive sites are long and can't be covered in one dive, so your observations may depend on where you drop in, but it would save new visitors possible disappointments in choosing a dive site when you get on the boat and are trying to reach concensus on a site. I suppose there is an ever so slight risk of too many divers crowding a particular site, but in the week I was there, we never saw more than the people from our boat underwater.

My favorite dive site this latest trip--Palancar Gardens. Spectacular! As beautiful as ever, and two turtles contentedly grazing as we watched.

Biggest disappointments--deep dive, Santa Rosa Wall. Lots of sand, and no longer looks at all like the picture in the most recent Scuba Diving. If we had been smarter, we would have adjusted and just gone shallower, where it was brighter and there were more critters. The shallow dive disappointment for me was Cedral Pass, if only because it has been one of my favorite shallow dives over the years, and it got hit quite hard. Yet, there still was plenty of marine life.

Jim

steeliejim:
It would be useful, I think, for post-Wilma visitors to list the sites they liked the best--and the ones that were disappointments.

OK, I'll start. Favorite dive a month ago was las Palmas. It was a nice, shallow, very sandy dive. The current was moderate, and while there wasn't a lot of coral, the marine life was abundant from little white gobies to some huge angels and even a ray. It was almost like diving a golf course (if that were possible), and we stayed in the rough. It was also quite a bit of fun just hanging out on the bottom and discovering some of the principles of hydrodynamics (like the way the current will flow on a slight downward slope and how it's possible to dig one finger into the sand and hover).

Second favorite dive was Palancar Bricks. There was some sand on the coral, along with broken coral and a few fan fragments. However, the marine life here was also abundant. In fact, when I descended, I ended up right next to a turtle, which rocked my world. We saw gobies, lobster, eel, angels, squirrelfish, zebras, butterflies, blue tang...etc.

The first dive (Santa Rosa Shallows) was disappointing, but that was because I was in new gear and my weighting was off. I didn't have much time to relax and enjoy that dive.

The most disappointing dives were the ones I had to sit out because of an ear injury on day 2 (especially snorkeling above the C53 while my buddies got to dive it, seeing that huge grouper, and having no tank to bang on to let them all know what I spotted).

jepuskar:
Here is a recent pic from the Palancar reef....

I dont know...looks similiar if you ask me.

:lol: ...finding a sense of humor on the scubaboard...precious:yelclap:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom