Recent shots of Kingston (this Weekend)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are among the most fortunate divers in the world to have intact wrecks to dive on. These are one of a kind dive sites and its time to stop thinking we're all technical divers penetrating every hole we find just because its there and start thinking about wreck preservation again before these sites are nothing more than piles of lumber not worth visiting.

What I am saying is as divers we have a duty to think about the sites we are on. We have very few intact wooden wrecks left and the acellerated wear that we have seen in the last 5-10 years is incredible. Im questioning whether or not we'll get another 10 years out of these sites at the current rate of decay.

Excellent points!

. The best active form of wreck preservation I've seen yet is peer pressure.[/QUOTE]

So true.

With the continued growth of diving the negative impact on intact wrecks will be immeasurable. I believe (as with reefs) education is needed.

I am enjoying this thread. I believe everyone who has posted is of the same mindset, preserve what we have.

I did an ACUC OW course when I started diving (not that long ago) and they took the better part of a lecture class speaking about wreck preservation. I regularly dive wrecks in lake erie and have yet to touch one. The only wreck that I have really "played on" was the niagara II in toby.

I do understand that saving these wrecks is important so that future divers can enjoy they just as I am now. There is a major flaw attached with some training agency's were they teach you to dive in a weekend. Not only are new divers getting half the "should know" basics, but there is no time to teach about things such as wrecks or coral reefs.

Hijacking this thread a bit, I just did an Nitrox course with a PADI student that had to ask the instructor what a dive table was and how it worked. The rest of us just shook our heads. I am not saying that PADI is bad but some places are only there for the money and not the class.

Just my 2.5cents worth of rant!

Never mind. Keven has taught me not to admit my mistakes. Thats what it was. A mistake. Two actually. The first was thinking that my small frame could make it through, the second was making a post here.
Jimmy, by the way, since I'm not sure it's really been mentioned, nice pics.
And Kevin...you came off as pretty combative right out of the gate. Which I believe others have figured.

I was just catching up on some OFWF threads and this one caught my eye. My attention was drawn to the comment that possem made about 'playing' on the Niagra in Toby. I think that he makes a valid point between distinguishing between 'wrecks' and 'playgrounds'. The Niagra is clearly a 'playground' and was scuttled for that purpose. We must all realize that touching any wreck is an act to be avoided unless it is beyond the control of the diver. That is why advanced certification courses are taught - so you avoid the 'beyond the control of the diver' scenarios. I have seen divers drop to a wreck and stand on the wooden decking. We have so few left with intact decking that this should be seen as a crime. I think that the majority of serious divers are thinking preservation - we just need to keep the 'Cowboys' off our wrecks.

This is where organizeations like SOS and POW need to really step in and push preservation to the forefront via education such as trade show displays and through the NAS1 courses. Unfortunately, I dont seem to see them pushing this as heavily as they used to. It would be great to see PADI or the charter organizations taking a more active role, but since they are commercial entities, I'm of the opinion that nothing will be done by them until the problems start to hurt thier bottom line and by then it will be too late. The best active form of wreck preservation I've seen yet is peer pressure.

Kevin....

What can POW and SOS do? Admittedly I don't belong to either group, my diving is very limited in the region ( perhaps a lousy excuse), isn't that putting a big pressure on two groups that perhaps have no "legal" authority to enforce the "no touch" rules?

I really think NAS I should almost be a mandatory course for all that wish to dive wrecks.

Your point regarding PADI and other education orgs is probably more the reality than not.....

Good points Kevin!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom