Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo dive at VP yesterday (3/27/16) and saw similar conditions to what Gilad posted. 59 degrees near the surface, nice thermocline at about 60 ft, with temps dropping to 54 degrees at 70 ft. Found the bicycle and hung out with a very playful Sunfish.

Reactions: Jax
We were out diving Jack Ass reef Saturday and found 64-65 degree water temps with the visibility down in the 20' range. Way too windy to take the boat out Sunday morning, we will try again next weekend!

Was out diving Friday night as well as Saturday & Sunday. The night dive was absolutely beautiful with tons of catfish @ South Reef, the full moon and a great Arizona sunset just added to the experience. Water temp is still holding at 64-65 at the surface with a slight thermocline @ 40'. 20' to 30' of visibility.

Spent the weekend diving several different sites. Found the surface temp to be 70 to 71 at most sites with 54 @ 115' at Tec Reef/Island. Visibility is down a bit from out last trip out but is does improve greatly after 50', vis @ 115' appeared to be on the 40' range.

6/11/2016
Water level is starting to drop. Spillway is open to traffic and parking again. Lower spillway parking isn't completely dry yet.
First thermocline at 30'. Second is at 50'.
Above 30' is shorty warm
Below 50' hood and gloves will be a good idea.
Vis is still good in most places, but it is starting to go away in places.

I guess that it'll be my time to report.

Let me start by saying that I signed for the annual pass this year @ the side of Maricopa County (Scorpion Bay) for $85 only! Well, it looks like a better deal than Vista Point ($170) and yeah, I know that the $170 be divided between two partners. So the bottom line is: I'll be more likely at the Western entrance for this year.

Obviously, there are advantages/disadvantages for each entrance, bla, bla, bla....
However, I don't think it's the time to get into it.

What I like in this season is getting into the water without any suit!
(& yes... you need to avoid the thermocline :shakehead: if you want to feel good! :happywave:).

So, by 7.9.16 I dove 1 dive @ Sunset Ridge.
It was just an OK dive to blow some bubbles.

By 7.10.16 I dove 2 dives @ Desert Tortoise.
Here's my tip:
Not so sure if divers are aware of it, but currently there are two islands, the Western and the Eastern.
On the Eastern side of the East Island, there is a wall with plenty of crannies, currently starting at 5' till 30', while the most interesting part is the shallower part. It includes plenty of underwater life.
Please enjoy the short clip I did: .

Cheers, Gilad

7/31/16

Bathtub warm on the surface. Computer was showing 80° surface temp an ascent. I trust that number more then a surface temp reading when first hitting the water and the computer has been warming up in the sun.
But drop below 50' and the water cools off into the low/mid 60's. That holds through 100+'
Water level is dropping. Top of tech island is only 5' underwater, you can stand in the right spot and keep your head above water. Pretty soon it will be an island again, maybe by next weekend.

Great conditions October 29-30! 70-71 degrees on the surface with very little temp change to 85'. 25' to 30' of visibility @ Tech & 2 Anchors. If you weren't at the lake you missed a great weekend for diving.

Dove yesterday afternoon (10/30) at VP. About the same conditions as Capt. Pete reported...I think I had 73 degrees at the surface and 70 degrees at 60 feet, but pretty close all the way down. Water level is slowly coming back up, but the rail is still only at about 45 feet and the hike is still further than I'd like. Saw a nice school (well, LP sized-school) of juveniles near the grandfather clock and hung with them for about 10 minutes. Fun dive and yes, viz was about 20 feet once you got past the OW diver's silt out. :)

Lake Pleasant is 68° today. At tech, at the dam, at the surface, at 60', at 107'. The whole lake is 68°
Vis is medium. I've had better, I've had worse. It is getting better. Guessing 25'? You don't have to be right on top of your buddy to keep track of them but there is still a good bit of "what is that over there" in the haze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom