Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

09/01 6:30 AM
Unamed island protruding surface about 1/2 mile offshore from dam.

Outside Conditions: Partly/Cloudly Air temp 85
Surface temp: 83
Vis was approx 25' in water < 35 ft. Once below thermo or close to it, vis down to 5' or less.
Saw many bass, some good size some small stripers. some cats.

Scubeneath

Hey, Scubeneath, that was a fun dive all right!

Is this close enough to be a shore dive? It sounds very cool. Pics are awsome! I'm heading to Pleasant this Saturday. I'll have to check this one out!

Steve.

Dive Report

September 20, 2008
Depth: 53 feet +/-
Temp: 80 Degrees - No wetsuit needed
Visibiliy: 10' -15' with 'clouds' of brown algea in depths 0'-8'
Time: 40 Minutes

After the clean up (Thank you Chris, ALL WET SCUBA), went out w/a group aboard The Scubateers dive boat and did a couple of dives on "Tech Island" a GREAT newly uncovered island with AWESOME shelves, cliffs, and various bottoms not too far from 10 Lane boat ramp. noticable changes in Thermocline depths, as again this weekend, we did not find any thermo until we approached 48'-50' in most places. Only 3weeks ago, it was consistently at approx 40'. This spot inpaticular has some REALLY COOL, large crevices, large open cracks, and cliff overhangs. This has become my favorite dive sites to date at Lake Pleasant due the diversity of landscape, fish, and various bottoms. On a side note, the "clouds" of brown algea are something new to me at Pleasant. They were surrounding the island, from the surface down to about 9' or so reducing vis to nearly ZERO. Once below 9' the clouds seemed to subside and vis was a decent 10'-15' for the rest of the dive.

Anyone who dives Lake Pleasant should check this "Tech Island" spot out before the water begins to go up again in mid December ! Call The Scubateers, jump on the boat and come out, I'll be going there again too.

Scubeneath

Had to try the new camera out, heres a pic of part of "Tech Island"

One of crevices at Tech Island, Lake Pleasant from 45' looking up.
Scubateers_092008_LkPlsnt67.jpg

A gentle shelf at Tech Island, Lake Pleasant from about 35'. 3 decent Bass lurking near outcropping.
Scubateers_092008_LkPlsnt68.jpg

Is this close enough to be a shore dive?

Steve.

Sure, but you have to be willing to either

A: surface swim 1/2 mile from 10 lane boat ramp :D
or
B: have a scooter :eyebrow:

Steve,

I am thinking about Kayak diving to Tech Island in two weeks.

jcf

Sure Ed working on that now...however the google map pic is form when Water level high, so I have to guesstimate the location of the island. Once out there though, from the location I can approximate, you wont have any problem seeing it. And on top of that, on the backside of the island, there are a lot of reef marker bouys, one of which is damaged, and floats really low in the water. Working on map, please standby.....doing while at work....

What you all should do is call Rob or Myself and get a few ppl together to go out on The Scubateers boat !! Diving aboard 'The Scubateer' is a blast. I have about 8 dives now on this island alone and also Rob knows EXACTLY where to go too.

Working on map, please standby.....doing while at work.

Ok, So by no means do I claim to be "Rand McNally" but here is our best shot at a map
displaying the low water level islands we are currently diving from aboard The Scubateer. The posting a few above this one, has pics of some cliffs and a crevice that was taken at "Tech Island" which is a VERY cool place to dive right now. The bottom has wide shelves that go from island base to approx 30' then there is cliff that drops off deeply. I dont yet know max depth at bottom of cliff, but can tell you that at 61' the water below is black and no bottom in site. The cliff wall is excellent exploration, there are many crevices that hold Catfish, Bass, and even a couple of 'swim-thru' crevices that are a lot of fun to explore. Also worth checking out are the undersides of several large overhangs. Come join us this weekend and Dive Tech Island - Call Rob at --> The Scubateers <-- to book a dive !!

LakePleasant_Low_Wtr_Islands.jpg

Steve,

I am thinking about Kayak diving to Tech Island in two weeks.

jcf

I'd love to give it a try. I'd have to rent a kayak though. Do you know where I could do that? Do they come in red with a white stripe?:D My only problem would be getting my fat backside back into the boat.:shakehead:

Steve.

ScubaSteve2000,

For the price and trouble of Kayaking (you'll cross MAJOR boat traffic), call The Scubateers and do a boat dive !! Its much more fun, great ppl, great times and very affordable ! See if maybe ScubaholicEd wants to go ? We should all go on the boat and go on a DAMN DIVE ! since water so low and Thermos seem to have submerged to depths > 48' the past 2 weekends. Call Rob for Details ! 602.518.3443

ScubaSteve2000,

For the price and trouble of Kayaking (you'll cross MAJOR boat traffic), call The Scubateers and do a boat dive !! Its much more fun, great ppl, great times and very affordable ! See if maybe ScubaholicEd wants to go ? We should all go on the boat and go on a DAMN DIVE ! since water so low and Thermos seem to have submerged to depths > 48' the past 2 weekends. Call Rob for Details ! 602.518.3443

You should be the Scubateers marketing director. :wink:
And, I appreciate your enthusiasm too, but ...
Perhaps, just maybe, I enjoy Kayaking ??? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to do some boat diving with these guys. I've done a bunch of boat diving off the Diver Down. However, when the lake levels are this low, it provides a good opportunity to drag out the Kayak and jump into some great sites. It also saves $60 - unless, of course, you have to rent a Kayak ... :doh2:

I look forward to diving with you. Passionate people make great divers!

jcf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom