Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D Awesome Halloween night dive last night with the Scubateers. We went to Tec Island and the Dam. Tec Island was a twilight dive in brilliant conditions. Calm water and a warm evening. We traversed the wall to the south at around 60 feet. On the return I missed my landmark and was treated to the most remarkable silhouette of fish swimming along the rocks at about 20 feet. Very cool.

On the Dam there were a few scary treats. I won't say much except that if you haven't been out with the Scubateers you're missing out. Black Dog Divers were also out with us last night and a few pumpkins were carved on the top of the DAM. All in all, it was a great night on the lake.

Vis was easily 20-30 and temps around 70F.

PD

Dove Besmeier Point today. Awesome day. Warm temps, few boats. Great People around: Andy (Black Dog Divers) had his rescue class there today. Water temps were 66F and vis around 15 on average but inconsistent and it seemed at around 36 feet the vis dropped way off.

See you out there on Wed!

PD

Dove Vista Point today. The water level is slowly coming up. The two tree stubs that were at the entry are now covered. The depth where you reach the top of the wall along a 330 bearing from shore is 38 feet versus 32 two weeks ago. Very quiet day with no other divers and few boats. Vis was 15-20 feet down to a depth of 95 feet. I did not find a thermocline-it may have been deeper and I turned the dive where the vis went to zero at 96 feet. Water temp is 64F.

Its still a long walk down to the water. If you set up like I do by the table make sure to walk down the trail (scree) keeping your nose over your toes. That should help keep you from slipping in the talus.

PD

Last edited:
Over at Desert Tortoise Road at 1pm. Dove there on Thursday. Great visibility down to 45 feet. Water temp was perfect for 7mm

jcf

///

Awesome day at Vista Point. Cooler day time temperatures...don't need the sun shade anymore. Lake is up. 330 degree bearing off shore and 17 feet depth puts you at a point on the wall approximately 30-40 feet east of the low water point. My cairn is in 42 feet of water versus 29-30 feet a couple weeks ago.

Vis was 20-30 feet though misty and water temps were 63F. I did two dives along the wall to 106 feet before you hit the zero vis cloud and found no thermocline. There were few boats and only one other party diving. Amazing day!

PD

Josh, Bill and I did a couple of dives at Burro Island. The lake is high enough now that the outer reaches of the island are only accessable by wading tummy deep across to the far east end of the island which is still, for now, above water.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We drove out on Burro Island as far as we could without getting our tires wet and set up our base camp. On our first dive we descended and swam south to 40 feet then turned east for a while. We followed the counture around to the south again and let it lead us down. At around 60 feet we came to the edge of the good vis. Literally.

We had 30+ foot vis until then. Below us we could see the bottom conture descend into a heavy haze. Any feature that went into the haze disappeared almost immediately. We HAD to see what was there. I don't recall feeling a thermocline but there was certainly some differance between here and 8 to 10 feet above us. From here the vis was limited to how far our lights penetrated into the void. We found a wall with a deep undercut area. We explored in and around the undercut and at some point along the way I saw a hole big enough and deep enough to fit my arm into. Peeking deep inside my divelight revealed a set of pinchers roughly the width of my hand. Yikes! At 89 feet the temp was 62 degrees.

We turned again to the east and went up the wall to 40 feet before truning back to the north. We did a swimming deep stop maintaining 40 feet for several minutes before slipping up to 20 feet again. Bill clipped a dive flag a few feet up from the anchor of his dive bouy. This served as a dandy visual referance to help us navigate back to the beginning.

The surface interval was pretty chilly. The wind blew right off the lake and right square into our base. We kept our 7mms on and wrapped up in our towels. I kicked myself for not bringing my boatcoat. I had a couple of sweatshirts though so after the initial shock of the wind hitting my wetsuit I started to warm up a bit. Not the coldest surface interval I've had but definately in the top ten.

We finally gave up being cold and geared up for dive two. We decided to see what was on the far east side of the island. This necessated the tummy deep wading and a 100 yard walk up and over. Somebody had set up a fire ring at the crest of the hill. I wondered how many small fry would use it for a hiding place after the spring spawn.

The wading and walking was worth it. We had some of the best vis yet. We didn't come across any walls on this dive though. Just a few hats and a plastic bag that had at one time held anchovies. I thought of J. Giles's "No Anchovies, Please". We found a chain that I thought (dare I say hoped) had an anchor on the other end. It was wrapped around a tree stump. Endlessly so. After I fiddled with it for a bit I looked up to see Bill and Josh standing with their arms crossed. Okay. I can take a hint. We were on our way back anyhow.

The wind had died down by the time we got back to the camp. All in all two great dives with two great dive buddies. Looking forward to next Saturday where I will be, hopefully, trying out my drysuit.

Steve.

I have several that I wear depending on temps. The one I use most often is a 200gm DUI undergarment. I have a 400gm USAI for colder temps but I really don't use it that often. Its really thick so I end up putting on a lot of lead with it. With the DUI I have a polartech vest I use to layer and don't have to add any weight. I've been fine that way with temps of 48 on dives.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom