Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading christy's post about the bass fishing thing I think vista will be exploding with fisherman at least that is how the map shows it. They are probably going to be all over the lake! We may need to dive in another area this weekend or go on a boat to steer clear.

Hmmm. Let's see. A boat dive on Saturday versus shore diving and dealing with beer swilling bass boat floating fishermen. Ya talked me into it!

Steve.

Dove Desert Tortoise Road on Friday
Found a wonderful Sand Channel in 50(ish) feet that led down well past 60 feet. Nice walls on both sides. Was out there most of the day and did six dives. Water was comfortable in a 7mm with hood and gloves. Saw a bunch of bass in shallows, several catfish and a karp at depth.

Water Temp: 57 degrees at surface
Visibility: 30+ feet at shallows. 20+ feet at depth. Good ambient light the entire dive.

Dove Beismeyer Point on Saturday
We were out here most of the day on Saturday. Did at least four dives. Most of dives headed off to the north. Reached a maximum of 64 feet. The wind was really blowing in the morning and the water was warmer than the air temp (with wind chill :wink: )
Dove in a 7mm with hood and gloves. Mostly bass and karp at this site. Heard a tale of a catfish, but didn't see it. A few boaters aroud. And some jetskis who liked to come close to our flags. We would of yelled at them, but I don't think they spoke our language. A lot of nice dives and great people.

Water Temp: 57 degrees at surface.
Visibility: 30 feet or so most of the day. Great light. Easy diving.

It was great to see Garrett back out at the lake. I was wondering if he was becoming a lake snob, but he retains the title lake dawg in my book. Mike made it out ... know it's been a while for him too. Had lots of great student divers around. We have a bunch of new Rescue, Advanced divers. We had some folks working on their navigation and intro to tech as well. Thanks to Gary and Tim for all their help!

Lastly, I heard Willie M (a.k.a. wet willie) passed his IE this weekend. It feels like yesterday that you were just an Open Water Diver. I know you payed your dues and worked hard to joint the ranks. Congrats!

For more updates, training tips, and dive conditions: http://www.academyofscuba.com/blog

///

Last edited:
Yesterday at the lake met up with Bill, Steve, Mike, Chris and Chris k. over at Vista point.
For those that haven't been to the lake yet this year you are missing out!
The water seems to becoming more clear each week and most divers are now making the statement "I've never seen the lake this clear" Let's hope it stays this way. I may start bringing a camera to play with.
While I was at a depth of 60' I was easily able to see Mike and Bill at 100+' over by the boat ramp. Plenty of light was getting through and no flashlights were needed.
A good number of Bass were seen and Mike even got bumped in the head by 1.
Wish I had my camera with me.

It was great to finally get wet again. And what a day to do it. Severe clear conditions above and below the surface. We dove at Vista Point with Bill (PhxSki), Mike (RudeBob), Chris K, Chris (seagraves?) and Rob (rawalker). The morning was a little chilly but the water is warming up. 61 VT3 degrees on the surface with a slight thermocline down to 58 degrees below 40 feet. It's funny how a few weeks ago 55 degrees at the surface was, as Bill put it, biting cold as it infiltrated the zipper of our wet suits but just a few degrees warmer takes the edge off just enough.

We split up into two groups of three on the first dive. Bill and I dove with Chris K while Mike, Rob and Chris buddied up. Since I was stupid enough to forget my PADI bag, I was sans light and compass. :shakehead: (See, kids, what happens when we don't dive every weekend?) Bill had the honors of leading the dives. We descended at the bouy and I was surprised to see that the lake was still pretty clear. There was a lot of suspended material down to about 40 feet then it cleared up almost completely.

We swam over to the deep wall then worked our way back to the boat ramp area. Close to shore the bass were red eyed and aggressive. As we got deeper the natives weren't quite as restless. The visibility was awsome. I'll bet it was over 40 feet. The best I've seen anyplace in my limited experience. Who'da thunk that Ol' Lake Pleasant would offer near Caribbean visibility.

We arived at the boat ramp at about 90 feet. No light needed. I was able to look up and see the sun filtering through. We swam along the rail on the east side of the ramp up to about 60 feet. Bill led us over the far side of the ramp into what I've heard called Spring Canyon Landing. I had explored that area pretty extensively last year but hadn't been back since last April. We saw a large group of bass bachelors just hanging out. They weren't very old judging from their size. Probably the equivelent of bass teengers wondering what girl basses are all about.

After a presure check we started back to the area where Bill's dive bouy was anchored. On the way back Bill was dive bombed several times by one of those red eyed devils. After Bill swam by I became the object of RedEye's ire. He decided to sit in front of me, nose to mask, and not let me pass. He was not impressed with my blowing bubbles at him. These behaviors absolutely amaze me. After a bit I inched forward until he gave up and let me pass. We ascended to safety stop depth during the swim back so we didn't have to hang out by the bouy very long before ending the dive.

This was the best dive I've had in weeks. The switch over to using a weight harness has been a bit troublesome. The weight belt and my BC's cumberbun were not getting along. Over the last few weeks it became obvious that I was going to have to either make major changes to my trusty Outback or replace the lost weight pouch with a new set. I'm glad I opted for new pouches. My bouyancy control and attitude were greatly improved. I dropped another two pounds off the pouches too.:D

The other two dives were just as much fun. We went to the Spring Canyon area again (a place I forsee many visits to) on the second dive and played with the fish some more. By the third dive it was just Bill, Mike and me. Everybody else had left for the day. We dove straight out to the huge bouy anchors that hold the large round bouys marking the enterance to the Pleasant Harbor Marina. I saw a couple of medium sized catfish and some carp along the way. All day long I just couldn't get over how clear the lake was. It won't last for long though. I hope it stays like this for the Scuba Show on May 2nd.

See you at the lake.

Steve.

Nice report Steve! We're out of town this weekend, but hope to be at the lake one of the last two this month- seems like Vista is the place to be! Hopefully we can catch up with you, Bill, Josh, Rob and the rest!

Hey Kris and Mindy! Great to hear from you. Looking forward to catching you both at the lake. I'll be at VP this Saturday. Anybody interested in joining me??

We'll be visiting Mickey Mouse and Co. this weekend, but we've already set aside the time the following weekend to head up for some diving- hopefully the vis stays good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom