Recent experience at Malpelo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought you may like to see a report I got back 3 days ago from an agent/colleague who has led more than a dozen trips to Malpelo. You can check space on our site.

Hi Dom,

I just came back from Colombia and want to give you a short Update.

I´m absolutely happy with the Boat right now. They improved a lot in terms of Service, Food, Boat Amenities etc. and I´m sure it will continues to improve over the next few months. It’s a process, but what they did right now shows me that Tony is really listening. My Group was absolutely happy.

Two top Guides on Board.

Malpelo will never be a place for everyone. It will be a wild and remote place and a boat there will never will reach a Luxury level, but in the end I must say, its on a much better level than Yemaya was before.

All Cabins are now with private Bathroom. Small maybe, but they have it. Indoor Lounge is ready and a Camera Working Station follows as well as a Covered Lounge with Bar outside.

For 12 Pax only it will be the second cheapest Destination in East Pacific. Slightly cheaper than Cocos, much cheaper than Galapagos and a bit more expensive than Socorro. But for sure, its the most exclusive Diving. Only one boat, only 12 Pax, no crowded Divesites and Hammerheads everywhere.

Right now the 12 Pax get divided in 2 Groups, different Divesites. But depending if he can find a third good Diveguide, he is willing to split the 12 Pax even in 3 Groups.

Hope that helps a bit what is going on in Colombia.

Best regards

Hi @Premo83 and @Dom@DiveAdvice

Thanks very much for your replies, I appreciate the information. I'll be on Sten's half boat charter next June. Tanya recently sent me the link to this year's trip. Sound like the Ferox will be even better in another year. After having dived Cocos, Galapagos, and Revillagigedos, I'm very much looking forward to my adventure next year

Very best and good diving,

Craig

Are you guys referring to Sten Johansson, the Viking CD / DM? He was in Nautilus Undersea to Socorro last December. Great CD.

We talked about Malpelo and the lost at sea accident there. He was with Yemaya then rescuing @Peter Morse who was left behind by the ill fated Maria Patricia liveaboard.

Here is his story about the rescue:License to kill: Lost divers in Malpelo

The accident is posted here: 4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia

After talking to him about Malpelo, diving there with Ferox is on top of my bucket list.

Hi Dan - if you want to join him on one of his trips he has these dates on the FEROX for 2020/2021

June 19-29, 2020

July 6-15, 2020

June 27-July 6, 2021

July 9-18, 2021

July 30-Aug 8, 2021

Reactions: Dan
I'm on the June 19-29, 2020 charter. When I made my reservation in March, I believe I got the last slot, but that might have changed.

I just got back from a week on the Nautilus Explorer, many of the crew were friends with Sten.

I believe Sten's alocation might be full but we have only the Port Master cabin available on that cruise.

Hi Dan - if you want to join him on one of his trips he has these dates on the FEROX for 2020/2021

June 19-29, 2020

July 6-15, 2020

June 27-July 6, 2021

July 9-18, 2021

July 30-Aug 8, 2021

Thanks! I’ll share this info with my dive buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom