Reccomended Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why dual outlet valve and 2 regs? Is this freeze related?

Yeah. He says he's in Canada, and I assume the water can get on the colder side (less than 40F) over there. If I were him, I'd buy either a Sea Elite, Scuba Pro, or Dive Rite 300 BAR DIN H-valve and get it over with. Although not in his near future, ice diving or deeper diving may be a real possibility in the future. I'd set up for it now and take a few years getting used to it all.
It seems most people jump into more technical diving and buy all new gear and don't get familiar with it before jumping in the water and doing a more challanging dive. Good quality "tech" gear work excellant for tech diving but it can work awesome for regular diving. I recommend skipping the transition period a lot people get into, and get the right gear right off the bat.

Mike

Originally posted by Fishkiller
hour down the road I looked up and see this blue dive bag fly off the roof and take several summersalts, the

So that's why you need the high-impact resistant 80mph regulator bag... :)

-kate

Originally posted by Fishkiller
I was incharge of playing spiderman and tying all the bags and stuff to the roof of the Explorer.

Excuse me for being kinda dumb.... BUT an Explorer is BIG

You really couldn't find space for your diving gear inside the car!!!!!!!
personally, the diving gear gets pride of place IN the car, She who must be obayed would go on the roof before the dive gear went outside!

Jon T

First - Jon,
You obviously do not have one who must be obeyed - or you would be the wiser than to make such a statement...

Lost Yopper...
I agree with on the essential of your thoughts - namely get the good gear - but I think you are pushing it a little far - it is clearly stated that he is short on cash - that means that anything valve related is a far ways off and if he is just getting checked out - then Deep and ice diving is likely a ways away as well. Besides, freezing is really not an issue up here.

Furthermore - if you are going to make environment type recommendations about equipment - I think you should get familiar with the environment you are talking about - which you are obviously not... Water temps up here are in the 45 - 55 range, 55 being pretty rare. Viz is great in winter - in the summer, you could poor some water in your garden and it would probably be proclaimed great viz by a lot of people up here.

Anyway - I'm not trying to slam you (well, ok, a little bit), I just think that it is pretty important that we know what we are talking about - and I know that you do know what you are talking about - but I think the target got missed a little - now if I was a new diver and started asking about H valves and being told that, "sure we can get those on a pair of tanks for you" - then being told that you can get these pricey Steel thanks (and they would most likely push the HP) or you can get these cheap Al 80's, he would most likely get the aluminum and from a long term point of view - what good is that? we know that when you get serious you want to get steel, if you are going deep and tech you probably want low pressure so you can do safer gas blending on your trimix.

And one last rant - I do not recall anywhere in the GUE/DIR spec that calls for H valves in cold water... An Isolator manifold is all you need for twins - with DIN valves thank you very much.

Again - nothing personal here. Just my opinion.

Ok, I'm getting of the soap box.
Terkel

Originally posted by WetDane
First - Jon,
You obviously do not have one who must be obeyed - or you would be the wiser than to make such a statement...
Terkel

Unfortunately, I do have one, however, she is stuck in the UK at the moment :-(
Just as I would have the diving gear in the car before her, she would have the diving gear in before me :-(

Jon T

Wow - Jon,
you sound like you make a beautiful couple...
Terkel

Gents,

I just cannot imagine Hilda or Horace scuba diving--too far from Pommeroy's (Chateau Fleet Street) and Marigold Featherstone! On the other hand, "Portia" would fit in just fine!

Do you mean a scuba diver besides me reads John Mortimer? See you in Chambers...far from "She Who Must Be Obeyed"...

Joewr

Terkel,

I chose to give the guy some advice that I wish I had gotten when I got into diving. If the guy doesn't want to listen to it, so be it, but at least it's something to worth while to think about.
In my opinion, it's a good idea to have an isolator valve regardless of the environment for two reasons. First, regs can fail (I've seen free flows in 70F water). Second, IF (see this -- BIG IF again) tech diving is ever expected then you'd be familiar with the hose routing for doubles.
Aluminum 80's are great for wet suits diving, so there wouldn't be a need for steels. Since he seems to be diving in balmy 55F water, then a wet suit and 80's may be good. You wouldn't catch me diving wet in that water, but I'm a self proclaimed panzy too. I seem to recall of several dozen people I know who dive dry in 55F water, but what ever I guess.
Go to GUE's web page and H-valves are discussed. I've talked to both JJ and G Irvine, and they both highly recommend H-valves for cold and OR deeper water, so I'm not pulling this crap out my ... Being a deep cold water Lake Superior diver, I highly recommend an H-valve for either cold or deeper water. Obviously, doubles with an isolator are necessary for deep diving, and the hose routing is identical to that of an H-valve.
The underlying basis for my advice is to think ahead and perhaps avoid spending money unwisely. Buy the Halcyon wings and BP, DIN H-valve, and two good class A regs (Apex). If absolutely tech is out of the question and you're on a tight budget, then get the wings and BP, DIN K-valve, and one Apex reg.

To each his own.

Mike

We are new to this wonderful new sport too and as such have done a lot of research, visited a lot of dive shops in the area and asked a lot of dumb questions. In the process of all this we latched on to a dive shop here in Southern Ontario that regularly exchanges their training / rental equipment on a yearly basis and just happened in at the right time, got a great deal on BC & Reg. Dive shops in your area may do the same and if you ask when the rentals are up for sale you may be able to get a good deal too. As the rental equipment has never been sold prior to our purchase we were able to get the FULL Warranty on the equipment. If you buy used then you are not entitled to the warranty offer. The shop should also do a pre-sale inspection / service on the equipment before you walk out of there. Remember to have the Reg. serviced once a year to maintain the warranty. The equipment we got is not the high end nor the low but a nice average, good starter that should last a few years until we can afford better. Also, if you know other people looking to buy then there is strength in quantity buying in quantity discounts. Good luck and happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom