Reccomended Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my last diving trip I’ve realised that the computer is probably the more important piece of equipment you might have (not disregarding the importance of reg and BC which were my first equipment expenses).
The story was as follows (depths and timings may not be accurate because I don’t have my log register in here):
In our last diving day we went only with a young dive master. We have made the first dive at about 30 meters/100 feet during 40 minutes and after a surface interval of only 30 minutes, we took the second dive – after around 25 minutes at around 20/22 meters, my computer started blinking and beeping – ordering me to go up and showing an ascent rate of 10 minutes. I went to the dive master and told him that I had to ascend immediately and showed him the comp. The guy who had only a simple watch to measure dive time, made me a sign to “forget it and follow me”. My buddy ‘s computer was also telling him to ascend, and the two guys who were diving with us without a computer were just behind the DM ignoring the entire situation. As we were diving a wreck my buddy and I started ascending using the anchor reel and the computer, besides controlling a very slow ascent, made me stop for 7 minutes. 10 minutes after we have reached the boat the DM surfaced followed by the two other guys. He fooled us around saying that our computers were too much conservative – to what we have replied that looking at the tables our first dive was already outside of non-decompression limits.
After this I was really glad I’m using a dive computer and I’m sure that a lot of similar situations happen all the time. I know they are an expensive piece of equipment, but they worth all the money your have spent if they help you to prevent DCS.
My advice to all those who can’t afford one is – stick to your tables and plan your dives carefully according to them, no matter what the DM’ say or do – after all it is your life!

Sue

Sue,

Sounds like you did the right thing. In my experience, dive tables are much more conservative than computers--I would believe my computer if it said, "Ascend!" Plenty of time to check it out on the surface. And not in a decomp chamber!

Also, any dive master worth his salt will agree to a pair of buddies surfacing when they want (need) to. Underwater is not a good place for a debate! You can discuss the merits on the surface with advantage of using both hands and mouth!

I am conservative--I admit it--and watch the nitrogen saturation tics on my computer whether I am diving shallow or deep. I also do my safety stop(s) by watching those tics as opposed to just timing the stop(s). Just a habit I got into from deep diving.

That surface interval seemed a little short: did you check your computer before your second dive to determine how much bottom time you would have?

Hope I don't sound like a fuddy-duddy!

Joewr

I would say your right on the computer issue - as long as you know how to read tables as well.

And most computers allow you to choose your next dive profile based on depth - that will give you at least time guide to compare to the tables results.

One more thing - it sounds like you guys were missing out in the dive plan department, depth, time and such issues shoudl be resolved on the surface prior to the dive - in this case it sounds like you got a p*** poos DM, that's too bad, but I'm sure you ask more questions next time and that's a good thing.

Cheers,
Terkel

Joewr

You don't sound fuddy-duddy at all! I'm also conservative and careful.
Unfortunately I've run into an inexpert/young DM but hopefully I had my computer.
Before the second dive I told him that the surface interval was too short, and he said that the dive was planned to be a shallow one (around 45/55 feet), so my computer gave more bottom time that the one I really had. As I'm often checking the computer, I've soon realised that the initial plans would not be accomplished because we were diving deeper than the DM said. As I saw the remaining non-decompressive time getting shorter I started the way out of the wreck and tried to alert the DM - who was further in front of us - the rest you already know.

I think it's important to write these situations, because most divers blindly follow DM, without having any personal control of their dives.

Sue

Thanks Sue,
I guess the good point here is that it really does not matter how well I plan if the DM deviates from that plan. I will make sure to keep an eye on the DM -

Terkel

Sue,

The problem you faced, IMHO, was that of poor to nonexistence dive planning. Remember: PLAN YOUR DIVE DIVE YOUR PLAN. Whether using a computer or tables. Sounds like that DM was wasn't using either. I'd be interested to know how the DM's dive ended with regard to NDC limits on the tables he was using. But you did the right thing by listening to your computer and the DM should of had no problem with what you did. Still the issues you raise are ones that should of been discussed during the planning stage. I dove on computers for years and have gone back to tables. I have on more than one occation found myself surfacing when my US Navy dive tables still allow more BT but my buddies computer is telling him to surface.

One last thought for you, Sue. There is one thing you were "wrong" :wink: about. A dive computer is not the most important piece of dive gear in your kit neither is your reg. The most important piece of gear you own is your BRAIN and the ability to think logically and evaluate any given dive situation.

Peace,
Sam

Hi Sam

I agree with you in what concerns the brain, although I never thought of it as part of my gear...

Respecting the dive plan, you're right about the way it should be, but what I've found in the Yucantan is that the DM's dive plan is just "we'll dive at a maximum depth around xx feet for yy minutes".

I think most part of the DM's I've dove with were more concerned that we could learn all the "fish signs" than planning the dives or making any kind of security checks. I was never asked to prove any diving skills, and only once I was asked to show my cert. card (but I always had to sign a document saying that the Dive Center would never be responsible for any kind of accident).

Anyway this particular situation made me be more demanding in what concerns DM's and Dive Planning. After all we're paying them aren't we? After the briefing and that bull***t fish signs I'm now asking for the dive plan and emergency situations (hopefully that situation occurred in a wreck dive, but I wonder what would have happen if we were in a drift dive...).

Sue

WE were on our way back from San Carlos Mexico where I did my cert dives. I luckly had the night before purchased a duffle bag to take on the boat, not my wheeled dive bag. The last day of the trip we dove at San Pedro Island came back showered then left for home. I was incharge of playing spiderman and tying all the bags and stuff to the roof of the Explorer. I had left my dive gear in the duffle bag and tossed all my clothes and gifts in the dive bag. about an hour down the road I looked up and see this blue dive bag fly off the roof and take several summersalts, the diver stopped and a friend ran back to get the bag. I re checked the roof rack and found that all was secure, puzzled I waited for my bags return.:confused: Upon it's return I acted strong but was crying on the inside ;-0. re-re tied the bag back on and we continued on our way..

The dive bag is nick named mummy and I still store all my equiptment in it. A Henderson wetsuit, Bio-fins, Ocean master mask, booties, new reef gloves, other pair got chewed by a moray( I did take my fingers out:)), MARES Vector Platnium BC, MARES V16 Epos Regulator with an Aeris 500AI dive computer, plenty of de-fog, and a note that says "keep your hands to yourself".:bounce:

As mentioned earlier in this post about renting then buying is a good idea. I however enjoy being able to dive and not rely on what the shop has on hand if a class is in session or not. I feel much more confortable in the water knowing that all the equipment is mine, and I know how it preforms.

If you want to save yourself a bunch of money in the long run, get a Halcyon back plate and harness and a 36lb wing (for single 80). What ever tank you get, get a dual outlet valve and use two separate regs. It looks like your in an area for dry suits -- get a shell suit and learn how to use it right off the bat. The rest is table dressing.
If you do your home work well, you can save yourself a ton of money by getting the right equipment that you can "grow" into as you advance. I wish someone had said this to me.

Good luck,

Mike

Check these sites out and read the equipment sections.

http://www.wkpp.org
http://www.gue.com

One last thing, be extremely cautious of the advice of your local dive shop. Don't let them talk you into anything. Do your homework and go in very informed before you buy anything. Just because they own a shop doesn't mean they are experts or all knowing. They need to stay in business and that's their priority. I'm not saying to not support your shop, but go in knowing at least as much as they do. You're starting out good by asking around first.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom