Reccomended Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamades

Reaction score
Hello to the Board! I'm new to scuba, (just taking my PADI certification now actually) and am wondering about a few things:

What is the diffrence between a wet suit and a dry suit? i'm assuming there is a diffrence, and that both are used for diving... comments welcome.

Also, i'm short on cash: I'm going to get my mask, fins, snorkel (SP?) and boots (dive shop told me i need these).

What should i get next? I'm looking to eventually have all my own gear, but i dont have enuf to do it all at one go.

Also, i will likely be doing most of my diving in Western Canada (B.C, Alberta), is there anything i will need for that purpose?

Thanks for any info, looking forward to get my C card :)

Well, this is only one man's opinion...

I would get my reg first--and get a good one that will serve your needs for many years--that probably means more money. Why the reg? Because it is what comes between your air and you--and your air is very important! You can (and should) take responsibility for its care and maintainance and, therefore, be certain of its performance!

Next, would probably come a dive computer and depth gauge--again quality is very important...

Third would probably be my BC and/or exposure suit(s). You can rent these and, generally, they need less care and feeding than regs and computers. So, a faulty one is less likely to ruin your dive--or life!

If budget is a problem, you can keep your eye open for sales--sometimes companies come out with new models and the old ones go on sale--and are a real bargain. The absence of a bell or whistle on the latest model can effect the price of the older one by as much as 50% sometimes. Just make sure that the old model did not have killer warts--you know, some things have warts and others have killer warts--you can live with warts, but not with killer warts. Maybe I can give you an example: there was reg on the market that failed miserably in a magazine's test protocol--it had killer warts and I have seen it on sale. On the other hand I know of a computer that was last year's model and could not be downloaded to a PC--the newer version could--and it was selling for said half price.

I am sure others will have a different perspective, but I would recommend saving your sheckels until you can afford a top of the line product. This will not stop you from diving as most locales do rent equipment of all sorts. But once you have your own you will really appreciate it and the TLC you give it...

Enjoy your diving--it is truly one of the best sports there is!

Joewr

Congrats! I'm told that BC has some of the best diving in North America! It's cold though. You may want to consider buying a dry suit. I am new to this too (certified in march), but here's the sequence in which I am purchasing my gear...

1) Mask/Fins/Booties/Snorkel

2) BC/Regulator/Computer/Weight

3) HP Steel tanks (I need to get some weight out of my BC)

4) Dry suit and maybe new split fins. (I haven't made it here yet!)

I am renting tanks and wet suit for now. I feel like they are the least critical for my fun & safety.

Conserving your hard earned cashola...
I've found that the more stuff I buy at one time, the better discount I get. Check out your local dive clubs, there may be a discount program with a specific shop. Also look for shops that sell used gear, I've made a few purchases there too & will probably buy used tanks.

Dry Suit... has seals at the neck & wrist + built in boots(usually) to keep the water out. It also has valves to allow you to add or vent air as needed.

Wet suit... made of some thickness of tight-fitting neoprene to minimize heat loss. It does not keep the water out :)

take care!
kate

Thanks for the info, it well help alot.

one thing i dunno... whats a BC? is that the flak-jakcket type thing?

congrats on learing SCUBA

I Recomend getting a Wetsuit(it's nice to know where it has been and been on) and gloves.
Then a Bouyency Compensator , flak jacket thing.
Regulator,OCTO, compass, and SPG. (submersible pressure gauge)with a carry bag that can withstand a fall from a auto traveling at 80 mph.:)
signaling devices and shears (can cut more and more easily than a knife)
Then a air integrated Dive computer a SUUNTO COBRA or Aeris 500AI
Then a custom drysuit, will be nice for the colder water.
Then a boat

with lots of bottom time in between each

dang Fishkiller... what in the hec are you doing that you need to throw your reg outa da car at 80mph? :)

-kate

IMHO, I think Kate has a pretty good approach here -
I did buy a wet suit - only to get a dry suit - and NEVER look back...

If only one thing - the split fins - some people love them but I understand that they are bad in currents - which you will come to know that we have lots of in the PNW (I'm in Seattle).

If you are still doing your classes - you'll be doing your checkout dives in wet suit - all depending on how well you like that - look into dry suits.

Hey Kate - when are we going diving?

Terkel

Hi Terkel!
I'm back from Japan & I'll be in California this weekend for a seminar & diving Catalina. How 'bout the weekend of the 12th! I'll dive just about anytime! dang... I do have to hold down that job though. Do you go to the Moss Bay Divers meetings? I thought that I saw one of your posts on their board.

As for my fins... I bought them a few years ago & they just do not cut it. I want to try out some split fins, but like you said.... they might not be so great for the currents + they are only good for a flutter kick?

-kate

Karnades,

Some good points above. One thing I would add is to try things out before you buy. If you rush out and buy all your gear while you're still in your open water class, you don't know enough yet to make informed decisions. Your purchase decision will be based on what the shop recommends. Dive shops generally give good advice, but they can't know what kind of diving you will be doing in the future. Heck, at this point you probably don't even know yet. This only comes with experience, exposure to other experienced divers, etc.

Bottom line, wait on gear purchases. You'll end up much happier and with a set of gear that you won't have to replace in 2 years because your gear can't keep up with the types of diving you are doing.

Good luck and dive safe.

What Large-Diver says makes sense--and imagine how much more you will appreciate your shiny, new gear after using the the faded rental stuff! Of course, with all brand new gear, you look like a rooky--but salt water and sea air work real fast at creating the "patina of experience".

We bought our gear almost immediately after getting our C-cards--and started the replacement process soon thereafter! But, not all was lost: my younger son was the beneficiary of some very nice gear!

Also, if you delay purchase, you can see what other divers use and make judgements on that basis.

Enjoy!

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom