Reccomendations on the best place in Asia to do Divemaster course April/May 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAWalkabout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently diving my way across south east asia (Thailand, Indonesia, maybe the Phillippines and/or Malayasia) and keeping my eye open for the best place (great diving, low cost, fun nightlife - least important of the three for me) to do my Divemaster training.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions (I plan to spend 6-9 weeks in April - May 2010 doing the course).

Thank you!

I would recommend Phuket (Patong Beach) in Thailand to do your Divemaster course.

Great diving - see if you can get some dives in the Similan Islands on the liveaboards as well as daytrips off Phuket.

Phuket is busy so you are always able to assist on courses and there are always boats running.

The course prices are not too bad but remember to check the small print for additional costs.

The Divemaster course is a full time job you wont have time to go to Bangla Road :wink:

Here is some information on Phuket Good Luck.

That time of the eyar the diving is excellent in the Gulf of Thailand, Koh Samui or Koh Tao.
Great viz and good chances of spotiing whaleshrks during that time frame.

Those are three votes for Thailand, and I can add a fourth, and of course I would encourage you to come to Phuket, where I work, as part of your tour.

However, you are looking at quite a long trip, and I would not necessarily recommend that you spend it all in one place. So...

1. If you can come in April to Thailand, you might, might, still be able to get on a liveaboard to the Similans, which is well worth it. If you come later, you will almost certainly not be able to do that as the park closes and the sea conditions deteriorate. I'd say to do the LOB up here first, without undertaking any courses--just fun diving.

2. If you like it here on the Andaman side of Thailand, consider doing your DM training while in the area and then continue your travels.

3. If, however, you're ready to sample different areas, you could move over to the Gulf of Thailand to do a little diving and check out options for DM training there. They will be in the beginning of their high season at that time, when the sea conditions are at their best.

4. Moving south, Malaysia's east coast will be in season, and the South China Sea dive sites of the Terengganu Marine Park are worth diving. Don't forget Borneo and the world-class Sipadan area. DM training at the Perhentians or Redang is enjoyable.

5. Whenever I have the time and money, I always go to Indonesia to dive. You shouldn't miss it. It's too hard to pick a favorite place, but they are all pretty much accessible at the time of year you will be here: Komodo, Lembeh/Manado, Bali, etc. are all easily accessed though Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom