Recap diving Aquarena today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you met Foo and FooMan. Always a treat :D

Oh Yes the Foo's took San Marcos by Storm. What a day and evening. The River Pub will never be the same.

Sure hope they make it down to camp and dive Lake Travis this spring when it warms up a bit. That would be a real hoot. :popcorn:

It was a beautiful day for diving Aquarena- warmed up to around 60-65 degrees by 1:00 pm... we were wimps in the morning, and slept in instead of braving the 35-40 degree temps at our original dive time, scheduled for 10:00 am. Erica graciously worked with us on a later time to dive, she is a sweetie. The changes that have gone into the diver area are positive, IMO. The Landing, the new area for setting up your gear, is perfect for sunny and cold weather- since it is open air and there is a large slab of concrete soaking up the sun, with tables ready for gearing up and staying warm in the sun. The best part, however, is the hot shower that you can now take after diving, oh yeah! We usually dive Aquarena in the cold months anyway, so this works well for us.

Vis was perfect as usual, we dived Deep Hole while many of the glass-bottomed boats quietly hovered overhead. Saw 3 divers descend and pass through on their way to another area of the lake, all moving with nice trim and very relaxed. I remember noting this as they passed through, and went back to watching the beautiful fish around me and fanning the springs.

After diving, we were cleaning our gear and heading in for shower. The other divers came back to the staging area, and after ScubaShawn123 got us talking, we all realized that we were Swampdiver family! It was so fun getting to know K-Valve, SShawn, and Zinc at Aquarena that we readily accepted the invitation to go to the River Pub for some grub & ale. We had never been there before- the burgers & beer were awesome, as was the atmosphere and company. Thanks, K-Valve and Shawn for showing us a great time in San Marcos. Did yall tell Zinc that he missed the Hawaiian Tropic girls? I think I saw one of them with his vest. :wink:

How about if you northern divers post an advanced notice for your next trip to the springs? That way, any of us locals can arrange to meet if the schedules work out.

I'm thinking about a springs trip either this weekend or next. I want to get my requisite hours in during the slow season.

I counted 14 of them underwater, the springs are bubbling immensely. It was a good day to dive.

Scubashawn--

I've only seen 1 gar max at a time. Was the group of gar by the landing?

Scubashawn--

I've only seen 1 gar max at a time. Was the group of gar by the landing?

This is what I normally see also, not more than 2. I did not know the Garr were so populated until this dive at Aquarena. There were really big ones (like Daddys), medium sized (like the Moms) and small small ones (kids) hanging by the medium sized ones sides.

We were underneath the school at the bottom of riverbed on the far side of the spring

I would say I got to within 5 feet of the school and they were not spooked at all.

Good Diving,

Shawn

I still haven't seen a gar at Aquarena, except from one of the boats in October. We did a twilight dive during our science diver course, even, and didn't see any. You were born under a lucky star, Shawn. :wink:

I still haven't seen a gar at Aquarena, except from one of the boats in October. We did a twilight dive during our science diver course, even, and didn't see any. You were born under a lucky star, Shawn. :wink:

Here's one...

Did yall tell Zinc that he missed the Hawaiian Tropic girls? I think I saw one of them with his vest. :wink:

I missed Hawaiian Tropic girls!!!:11:

Give it time and you will see them. The guy I generally dive with has gone 7 years diving twice a week without seeing an eel. Currently my "eel time" is 7 seconds with just over 200 hours in the lake.

Most of the time while you are working, you are looking down and the gars are mid water fish. Also they tend to like the evening and hole up under the Coon Tail in shallower water during the day (also this is where the tillapia sleep).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom