Rec open water ascents, trim and the team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For recreational open water diving, during the ascents especially at the last 10 ft,
it's hard for me to see where I am ascending to since I'm horizontal. The real problem is my teammates do not follow DIR at this point and they prefer
to become vertical and pop up to the surface.

If my team were horizontal, then I wouldn't have to worry about it since we can monitor each others back above. (Am I right?) Since this doesn't happen on these
particular dives, I am forced to roll side to side and try to see what's above me
to make sure I'm not going to ascent into a jellfish/boat.

If we skip the real problem of my team not keeping trim/slow ascent at the first
place, how do you or would you address this issue? Do you roll side to side, or
become vertical during last 5-6 feet? Should I quit maintaining my trim in the
last x ft?

These are shallow recreational no-deco dives, but regardless I occasionally end up
doing a proper slow ascent solo. (say the last 10 ft) I believe my team needs to
stay with me in a situation like this (eg: what if I have a reverse squeeze and forced to descent a bit), am I right?

What if your teammate thumbs up and pops up from 10-15 ft? Should I follow and
pop up as well? Would you say 'depends on the profile/risk' or abide by min deco
rules absolute?

all was do whats safe for you if he pops up do your stop and a safe ascents.
Do you shot a bag?

The correct solution really is to get some decent teammates. They don't have to be perfect, just willing to stay together. You are going to have to make an excessive number of compromises to dive with your current buddies. Since you basically can't practice the fundemental DIR skills. You are forced to make all sorts of contortions to not only see above but also in your ascent profile.

You can talk to your current buddies about getting on your "team". Or you can find others to dive with. In San diego it should be pretty easy to find some likeminded DIR divers. Try here Southern California - The Dive Matrix Forums

The correct solution really is to get some decent teammates. They don't have to be perfect, just willing to stay together. You are going to have to make an excessive number of compromises to dive with your current buddies. Since you basically can't practice the fundemental DIR skills. You are forced to make all sorts of contortions to not only see above but also in your ascent profile.

You can talk to your current buddies about getting on your "team". Or you can find others to dive with. In San diego it should be pretty easy to find some likeminded DIR divers. Try here Southern California - The Dive Matrix Forums

yes thats a good place to look you can all so get on the so cal dir froums there are a few ppl that live in the oc and others that go down to dive from time to time

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely look into the dive matrix forum.

(I had difficulty finding regular teammates so far because most of the DIR folks are pretty experienced around here and they are doing dives beyond my training/experience. I've only
80 single tank dives and started diving 9 months ago.)

Have you discussed this with your teamates?

It seems to be a pretty simple request --- stay with me, even during a slow ascent during the last 10'.

Their response will tell you whether or not you want to dive with them in the future.

When diving with a non-DIR diver, you should mention your ascent style ahead of time as part of the predive brief.

This is not as much a DIR issue, as just simple basic pre-dive planning and clear communications regarding expections you have of your buddies. Not that much different than the discussion you should be having regarding buddy position and distances.

(I had difficulty finding regular teammates so far because most of the DIR folks are pretty experienced around here and they are doing dives beyond my training/experience. I've only

have you look at taking a gue-f class this is a good way to meet some dir guys

Try not to be intimidated :) I know some of the folks down that way and they don't bite. Everyone likes easy reef dives sometimes, and we all need to get out and practice the basics too. Try the "wrinkles" group and/or the buddy finder over on Dive matrix.

If you ever get up to Seattle, there are a bunch of us who will take you to some local regular spots.

I'm taking GUE DIRF, but haven't finished all of the dives yet. I was able to meet couple
people, but they don't dive often. I dive pretty much every Saturday and try to do a night dive during the week too.

I'll try dive matrix.

Thanks for the invitation... I might come up to Seattle sometime! :)

will if you want to dive the s 37 id like to dive it some time never been but ill go with you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom