Rebreathers: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor said to ALWAYS dive with a buddy.

While there is no way of knowing what if anything would go wrong... the question is can you be prepared.

John Chatterton uses this analogy, "Treat your rebreather like a girlfriend whom you caught cheating on you... You still love her and want to be with her... but you don't fully trust her."

IOW... be prepared for emergencies, like on ANY dive - OC or CCR... complacency kills. Diving in general is us going into a hostile environment where we don't belong. We need to have respect for what we're doing in the water.

Excellent advice.:)

A lot of myths and the equivalent of urban legends have been circulated about rebreathers. Before believing them, I would suggest doing some research, talking to some rebreather instructors, and then trying out some of the units that are on the market. Then, you can decide if making the switch is the right thing for you.

On the research front, I would suggest investing in Understanding Rebreathers, written by Jeff Bozanic. (In some versions, the book was printed with the title, Mastering Rebreathers. Other than the title, both books are the same.) Second, I would suggest ordering back issue number 25 of Advanced Diver Magazine. Read my article, "Transition to Rebreather Diving." I think that you will find this article very useful because it explains how I went from thinking about becoming a rebreather diver to deciding to make the switch. The article is also available for download from my web site. There are also links to the above book and other related publications.

As far a Brazil is concerned, I know two excellent CCR instructors there that can take you as far as you want to go on a rebreather (including full cave, etc.). They can tell you about the costs, parts and repairs in your area.

There has been some good information in this thread, and there has also been a spreading of the urban legends about rebreathers. Unless you know, it can be hard to tell which is which. This is why research and consultation with an expert (a real expert) is so important in reaching your decision.

Rebreathers are certainly not for everybody (at this point). However, they can enhance your dive and safety if they are the right match for you. For the diligent diver, they can be safer than open circuit scuba. (Tom Mount). Good luck in your search.

acqua_girl - should have mentioned in previous post this recent scubaboard topic:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/rebreathers/256946-rebreathers-simplified-dr-mel-clark.html

It's about a new book: Rebreathers Simplified: A Complete Guide to Choosing, Understanding and Diving a Closed Circuit Rebreather by Dr Mel Clark

I just got one (ordered one from flyingcash@gmail.com as per the other scubaboard thread) and think it is an excellent review of MOD 1 level procedures and CCRs in general. It gives a good overview of rebreathers and how to dive them as well as some useful comparison information on some of the different types. As you are an engineer, I am sure you will enjoy and find very easy all the technical stuff associated with CCR.

For costs - it depends on the unit and what you want it to do, or may want to do in the future - great variation in cost depending on type of CCR and whether it is new or second hand. Service protocols and location of training etc can be significant factors. I ended up getting a Megalodon after lots of research, but was also really interested in Sentinel, Classic Kiss and rEvo - I think a full eCCR version of the rEvo is just about to come out (if it hasn't already) which would be really good IMHO.

rebreatherexpress.com has some prices of some new units as well as spares and rebreatherworld.com is probably a good place to look for second hand units.

WOW....

I saw this thread before going to sleep yesterday and it was empty and things have just escalated.

acqua_girl

My advise to you is, if you believe you want an RB, then go for it.

I rarely dive mine beyond the recreational limits and use it purely for staying down longer to interact with wildlife and get close to take photographs.

Things are going to cost regardless of where you are.

I can go on with more but I will be repeating what others have said.

Heed the advice of those who have and dive rebreathers, anyone else apply a grain of salt. RB are not as bad as what non-RB divers make out.

Complancy can kill, and OC does instill complancy more than we all would like.

As far a Brazil is concerned, I know two excellent CCR instructors there that can take you as far as you want to go on a rebreather (including full cave, etc.). They can tell you about the costs, parts and repairs in your area.

Well, I guess one of them is LuisåÐ, right? Some friends told me he's a great instructor!
Right now I'm trying to schedule some CCR "pool test drive" with him - I'm guessing it's the Dive Rite Optima model, but still not sure.

PS: Loved the web site! Tks for the tips!

Attached is a picture of a girl who has been known to be capable of carrying some pretty heavy equipment configurations...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 132
Rebreathers are a tool whether you choose a recreational model like the Poseidon Unit that is basic a red light green light unit. Green light dive the unit red light don't dive the unit or go to OC if you are diving the unit. It also has Self Calibration as well. The unit is designed to be extremely user friendly and aimed toward the recreational market. R.A.I.D is the training agency on this unit and others similar to this style. Inner Space Corp. has a unit out called the Pursuit which is also targeting the recreational market as well as Ambient Pressure.

Some of the main advantages of using a rebreather in recreational limits would be:

1. Increased no stop time dive times due to a constant PPO2.
2. On gassing doesn't start until deeper than 36'
3. Warm breathing loop as compared to cold dry compressed air.
4. For photography no bubbles to scare wildlife away.
5. As stated earlier one setup in the morning and can dive the unit for 3-5 recreational dives.
6. Core body temperature stays warmer due to #3 also.
7. Units of a recreational nature are about the same weight or less than a single tank setup.

Some of the main disadvantages of using a rebreather in recreational limits would be:

1. Always carrying bailout cylinder(s) in case of a rebreather failure.
2. Travel with a unit can be more challenging if not familiar with the potential obstacles.
3. Access to Training in your area.
4. Access to service for your unit.
5. Initial cost for unit and training.
6. Cost of maintenance of the unit such as 02 cells, batteries (for eCCR units) and sorb

I dive 2 units the Evolution and the Meg from Inner Space Corp. I have over 100 hours on each and definitely don't dive them for the cool factor. The unit require a checklist procedure for pre-dive and post dive.

The rebreather is a tool which I use to extend my bottom time mainly for cave and deep cave diving. For recreational diving I find the greatest benefit is the proximity to the wildlife and how they are unaffected by my presence.

Good Luck in your decision.

I was diving in Fiji 4 years ago and a group of Americans turned up all with rebreathers. I was very interested as I wondered if they would be good for me with the extra bottom time as an older diver I am always on the lookout for some advantage.

6 of the group set out to dive and as we came up to their boat about 15 mins after them 4 of them were still in the boat. They were struggling with the gear they were carrying and 3 of them had already decided to 'skip this dive'. I decided that I had seen enough and promptly forgot about rebreathers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom