Rebreathers: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCRs have a special benefit to women divers because it allows them to exceed the bottom times of men with huge twin tanks.

If you are going down the CCR road, make sure you have a diving buddy with you at all times who watches you at all times. CCR malfunctions can be instantaneous and without warning of any kind.

Have you any rebreather training or are you just making things up as you go....as usual?

While its true that there's more work involved in care and maintenance of a rebreather. There are some that you can fill once in the morning, and do several dives (4 -6 recreational dives) without having to repack the scrubber and/or fill tanks. Certainly the maximum cost benefit of rebreather diving comes into play when you start doing deeper trimix dives, and you only have to fill a 2 or 3 liter bottle with some helium. Recreational rebreather diving isn't out of the question though, and as more rebreathers target the recreational diver, and enter the market at lower price points, I'm sure there will be a larger segment of divers transitioning over.

Eye witness.

and open circuit scuba is flawless, and perfect. Right... I forgot.

How many bail out options does a rebreather diver have vs how many bail out options does an OC diver have?

The women who use CCRs that I know use them for that reason.

Hearsay becomes generalization. That's not really accurate, and there's no reason a woman can't carry gigantic doubles if she wants to, same goes for small men.

If your profile is accurate, I recommend you wait on the rebreather until you get to a point where you are close to a point on open circuit where the complexity starts to rise (e.g. multiple gas switches or staging cylinders). At that time you'll know what diving you want to do and what benefits you're looking to get from a rebreather, and those things will help you select the right model for the diving you want to do. Besides, the technology is improving all the time so if you wait a couple years the available models and features are only going to get better.

If you have the opportunity to dive a demo unit in a pool that might be a fun way to see what it's like, but be warned that such sessions are more expensive than you probably think.

Back
Top Bottom