Rebreathers: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to try one so that i can sneek up on fishies

HowardE

I don't want to hijack the thread, but could you tell me in basic terms what the difference is between the Evolution and the inspiration CCR. If it is too much to explain point me to a website for further info. I dove a charter last year in Kingston with a guy using a Inspiration. He did three dives without having to do anything to his unit. If you had a chance to do it over, would you still go with the Evolution CCR?

Basic difference - Evo has 2 liter tanks - Inspiration has 3 liter tanks.

Evo has smaller scrubber (3 hour duration) - unless you get evo Plus which has the Inspiration Scrubber (6 hour duration).

Both are also available with "Temp Stick" to monitor scrubber activity, so really you can get more time... the duration time above is based on no-temp stick.

That's the main difference at this point. AFAIK.

[/hijack]

"Rebreathers: is it worth it?" For the main stream recreational diver which most of us fall into that general category or sub category -- NO.

and open circuit scuba is flawless, and perfect. Right... I forgot.

How many bail out options does a rebreather diver have vs how many bail out options does an OC diver have?

I suspect that you will be fine with a CCR as long as you also have an attentive buddy, and you are attentive to him/her.

Key word is "suspect." There is really no way of knowing.

Hearsay becomes generalization. That's not really accurate, and there's no reason a woman can't carry gigantic doubles if she wants to, same goes for small men.

If your profile is accurate, I recommend you wait on the rebreather until you get to a point where you are close to a point on open circuit where the complexity starts to rise (e.g. multiple gas switches or staging cylinders). At that time you'll know what diving you want to do and what benefits you're looking to get from a rebreather, and those things will help you select the right model for the diving you want to do. Besides, the technology is improving all the time so if you wait a couple years the available models and features are only going to get better.

If you have the opportunity to dive a demo unit in a pool that might be a fun way to see what it's like, but be warned that such sessions are more expensive than you probably think.

Well, for the women I know, who dive with CCRs, the reason is weight. Fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom