Rebreather Weight Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have had an interst in CCR for several years and have recently started advanced nitrox training and I have to tell you that I am uncomfortable with the weight of the myraid of tanks, etc. Are rebreathers much easier to handle with regard to weight and water drag? If not, I may pull the plug on my tech diving career rather soon.

If weight is your concern, rebreathers are nothing compared to OC tech diving. My rebreather *just* showed up (training next week) and the thing looks like a toy next to a set of doubles. Granted, you still need to carry bail-out, etc., but net/net you will usually end up with much less weight on the breather for the same profile. Personally, I see a lot value (and safety) in going through the ranks in OC before jumping to a rebreather, but there are plenty of opinions and arguments (most of them good) on the matter, so you need to choose what is best for you.

IMHO, compared to doubles and multiple stage bottles, they are much lighter and easier. Their weight is variable depending on the unit. As an example, my Sport Kiss is quite light -- it only weighs 38 pounds.

However, you still have to carry enough open circuit bailout gas to get you to the surface in case you have a rebreather failure. The amount of bailout obviously varies on what type of dive you are doing. As an example, for most "simple" rebreather dives I carry an aluminum 40, for most cave diving and most of my dives to under 200 fsw I carry two aluminum 40s, and for deeper longer dives I may sling an aluminum 80 and a 40. You simply calculate how much gas it would take you to get to the surface at the end of your bottom time or your deepest cave penetration, etc. I won't get into the argument of "team bailout".

Just my 2 cents.

My back is much fonder of my fully loaded Inspiration than my doubles. It's about a 40lb difference. It's one of the reasons why I went the CCR route.

Last edited:
IMHO, compared to doubles and multiple stage bottles, they are much lighter and easier. Their weight is variable depending on the unit. As an example, my Sport Kiss is quite light -- it only weighs 38 pounds.

However, you still have to carry enough open circuit bailout gas to get you to the surface in case you have a rebreather failure. The amount of bailout obviously varies on what type of dive you are doing. As an example, for most "simple" rebreather dives I carry an aluminum 40, for most cave diving and most of my dives to under 200 fsw I carry two aluminum 40s, and for deeper longer dives I may sling an aluminum 80 and a 40. You simply calculate how much gas it would take you to get to the surface at the end of your bottom time or your deepest cave penetration, etc. I won't get into the argument of "team bailout".

Just my 2 cents.

You guys just made my night. I also did not mention that I have had back issues...a microdesectomy a few years ago and although I recovered just fine I would rather not press the issue. I have 500+ dives in SE Florida since 1983, drift diving mainly, so I am not a babe in the woods with OC but I have just ventured into the tec arena. I am sure to solicit your opionions again soon. Thanks again! Scott

My Pelagian CCR weighs about 31 pounds, or 14kgs with sorb, excluding tanks and wing/backplate.

And it is pretty negative as well, which means when in a wetsuit, I may not need any ballast at all (depends on tanks and salinity).

I have had an interst in CCR for several years and have recently started advanced nitrox training and I have to tell you that I am uncomfortable with the weight of the myraid of tanks, etc. Are rebreathers much easier to handle with regard to weight and water drag? If not, I may pull the plug on my tech diving career rather soon.

yo

Rebreathers are mostly a little lighter than oc doubles but the fact is that you need to carry bailout with you so the stage tank remains. To dive rebreathers iinvolves a series of complex skills that have to be mastered. I would think that rebreather diving ( depending SCR or CCR ) is more complex than oc diving.

greetings
Matt

yo

Rebreathers are mostly a little lighter than oc doubles but the fact is that you need to carry bailout with you so the stage tank remains. To dive rebreathers iinvolves a series of complex skills that have to be mastered. I would think that rebreather diving ( depending SCR or CCR ) is more complex than oc diving.

greetings
Matt

Thanks Matt, I have seen that you are a very active instructor. May I send you a pm soon with a few basic questions?

Depending on the kind of diving you do, a rebreather setup can be much kinder on the body than the equivalent open circuit set. For example, one advantage of my rebreather (the Dive Rite Optima) is that, for shallower diving, you can use the unit with the supplied onboard bailout (no offboard bailout tank required). This brings the weight of the unit to 49 pounds. That's still more than a standard 80 setup but very close.

The advantage of this kind of set up is that you can go on long dives well beyond the length of dive that a standard 80 cubic foot tank would allow. For example, you could go on a 60 foot dive for over three hours without incurring mandatory decompression. This also can mean not having to climb onto a boat more than once from the water, which can be a whole lot kinder on the back and knees. There is also no need to change over tanks between dives, which can also be hard on the back when wrestling with gear in a rocking boat. You also don't have to carry two tanks to and from the boat, car and dive shop.

Although I carry significant bailout on deeper and technical dives, I only have to carry the full weight once briefly before hitting the water from the dive boat. Afer the dive, I hand up my bailout tanks to the boat staff before climbing out of the water. This means that I am carrying much less weight for the climb up the ladder than I did when I used to strap on a set of double steel tanks. (Depending on how you configure the unit, this could be 40-50 pounds lighter.) This also means that my knees and back do not have to work nearly so hard when the boat gets back to the marina at low tide, requiring a high climb back onto the dock.

For cave diving, I carry my bailout tanks down to the water before putting on the rebreather. I put the bailout tanks on in the water, and I remove them before exiting the water. Again, I am carrying a significantly lighter load when climbing out of the water (not to mention during the walk to and from my parked truck in the parking lot, some distance away--and usually uphill from--the water's edge) than if I were in doubles.

There is more to carrying dive gear than just during the dive. Carrying rebreather tanks to and from your vehicle, such as when taking to the dive shop for fills, couldn't be any easier compared to a set of heavy doubles: you can even carry just one of the small tanks at a time if you prefer. For those of you that don't have a vehicle with a low entry point, lifting a set the doubles into your trunk is a great way to get a back injury. With rebreather tanks, there is nothing to it.

Really, it is not much of a contest. I sold my double steel 120 tanks right after I got my CCR back in 2006, and I have never looked back. My back and knees are very thankful for my consideration of their long-term health. :)

Thanks Matt, I have seen that you are a very active instructor. May I send you a pm soon with a few basic questions?

sure, no problem, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions

greetings
Matt

Back
Top Bottom