Rebreather Prices and such

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshoerider

Reaction score
Just a random question for you all. I'm new to diving in general (OW about a month ago, AOW coming up next weekend!), but rebreathers have captured my imagination. I understand all of the pitfalls and dangers of them, and even if I were to try one it would be many years in the future.

With that disclamer out of the way, my quesiton: How much does a MK.15, 15.5 or 16 sell for on the open market? I did a lot of reading about them (they seem pretty neat!), but no where can I even get an clue as to how much they're selling for to us civilians.
I assume (?) somewhere in the 5K range? With the 16 being more, perhaps, because it's non-magnetic?

Thanks much!
-Chris

Ok, that was really stupid of me. I should have checked the next most recent post before I posed this one.

Guess that's what the holiday...umm....refreshments....will do to you!

Redshoerider once bubbled...
I should have checked the next most recent post before I posed this one

If so, that's what the NAVY supposedly pays for non-magnetic EOD RBs.
It's not just the Inconel speres, everything is non-magnetic, hence very expensive ... .

Used MKx usually go for around 10 grand in good shape. Out of the three and it's non-military derivatives the MK15.5 is the most desireable. Center section of the 16 in the smaller 15's body.
Last time I was at www.steammachines.com they had one for sale (Billy Deans' rig, no less), as well as spares. One look at the prices oughta make you think twice ... :( Many, if not most MKx are modified, usually an upgrade to digital electronics.

But why a MKx? There a plenty of newer, better (for civilian use, anyway) designs out? While at that website check out the Prism, the current contender for NAVY use. Gets the same 300 min. scrubber time according to NAVY tests, in a smaller, easier to manage package. For less money.
Just some food for thought. :)

Check Kevin Juergensen's website at www.electricfilm.com for more info on MKx models, as well as Diver Dave's http://www.nobubblediving.com/
On the latter you'll find excellent teardown pics. They are not easy nor cheap to maintain.

In regard to current rebreather prices, anyone interested in obtaining a really good CCR should contact <www.silentdiving.com> since they are the North American factory reps and importers for the Inspiration. It is the world's only current-production mass-produced fully-closed computer-controlled rebreather.

I believe the current price is in the range of 6,500 USD, but you must also count in the cost of the required user certification course. One may purchase a rebreather, but the unit will not be delivered to the purchaser until he or she takes the course. This is, with certain limited exceptions, true of all of the CCR's (only one seems to be generally available at this time) and SCR's on the market. Because of the major differences between RB and OC diving, this is done to protect the end user.

I hope this info will be helpful to you.:)

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
I believe the current price is in the range of 6,500 USD, but you must also count in the cost of the required user certification course.

A new Inspiration with factory installed ADV, 22kg BC and large counter-lung is $7355 USD out of state (no tax) as of a few weeks ago. Class is $1000 at my local dive shop.

Good infor and links. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom