Rebreather or Anesthesia machine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try this one next time you have anasthesia.

Tell the attending physicians the joke about the naked blonde who walks into a bar with a Pomeranian dog under one arm and a two foot salami under the other. The bartender says: “I guess you won’t be needing a drink then?”

By now the drugs will have kicked in, you drift out and the doctors will be wondering what could the punchline possibly have been during the entire procedure.

Yeah, I don't know why Mississippi is making people that are on death row and about to be executed choose between the electric chair and a firing squad.

I believe that nitrogen hypoxia execution was first approved in Oklahoma and is now also an option in Alabama.

My anesthesiologist father is anti-CCR for this same reason. In a hospital, you have an o2 monitor on a patient finger, resident running the machine that cost more than a car and is certified, doctor with years of experience and a degree watching over, and a crash cart.

They are fundamentally the same machine and you can add ports to your rebreather to toss in different gasses all day long. One day there will be better monitoring of oxygen inside of divers instead of just loop o2, but until then I'm satisfied that a rebreather is safe as long as you keep your oxygen turned on, have verified linear and not current blocked sensors, have proper gas for depth and followed your checklist. Will never convince dad of the same, but that's ok. Nice video!

My anesthesiologist father is anti-CCR for this same reason. In a hospital, you have an o2 monitor on a patient finger, resident running the machine that cost more than a car and is certified, doctor with years of experience and a degree watching over, and a crash cart.

They are fundamentally the same machine and you can add ports to your rebreather to toss in different gasses all day long. One day there will be better monitoring of oxygen inside of divers instead of just loop o2, but until then I'm satisfied that a rebreather is safe as long as you keep your oxygen turned on, have verified linear and not current blocked sensors, have proper gas for depth and followed your checklist. Will never convince dad of the same, but that's ok. Nice video!

Thanks!

You can tell your dad that at least with the CCR, unless things have gone VERY wrong, the human attached to the machine isn't under anesthesia and bleeding profusely...

:D

In a hospital, you have an o2 monitor on a patient finger, resident running the machine that cost more than a car and is certified...

You can make a similar analogy to what is effectively a powered surface-based rebreather used in saturation diving. We don't monitor the diver's blood O2 levels but there are several O2 and CO2 analyzers on deck along the very long path. A gas king (gas systems technician) doesn't monitor the reclaim system as constantly as an anesthesiologist, but close. However, there is also a long time delay before what is exhaled gets back to the diver since the processed gas is returned to tube-truck size cylinders first. The only part of the "rebreather" that gets wet is the demand exhaust regulator on their hats.

You can tell your dad that at least with the CCR, unless things have gone VERY wrong, the human attached to the machine isn't under anesthesia and bleeding profusely...

I'm not sure that would make him feel better since it could just change his focus to the very wrong part. :)

I quickly learned to say very little to my non-diving dad about things that can go wrong and NEVER talk to mom about diving.

I'm not sure that would make him feel better since it could just change his focus to the very wrong part. :)

I quickly learned to say very little to my non-diving dad about things that can go wrong and NEVER talk to mom about diving.

Tell him that bleeding is only a problem when you can hear it...!

Try this one next time you have anasthesia.

Tell the attending physicians the joke about the naked blonde who walks into a bar with a Pomeranian dog under one arm and a two foot salami under the other. The bartender says: “I guess you won’t be needing a drink then?”

By now the drugs will have kicked in, you drift out and the doctors will be wondering what could the punchline possibly have been during the entire procedure.
That's a great idea, and I have a lumbar spine procedure in just under two weeks... Hopefully I remember to do it!

That's a great idea, and I have a lumbar spine procedure in just under two weeks... Hopefully I remember to do it!
You and me both. Epidural for me. Let’s compare notes post-op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom